William Foley (bishop)
|The Most Reverend
|7th Roman Catholic Archbishop|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Perth|
|Installed||14 December 1983|
|Term ended||10 February 1991|
|Other posts||Bishop of Geraldton
(1981 – 1983)
|Ordination||12 September 1954 (Priest)|
|Consecration||9 September 1981 (Bishop) in St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Geraldton|
|Birth name||William Joseph Foley|
20 June 1931|
Leonora, Western Australia
|Died||10 February 1991
Perth, Western Australia
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Occupation||Roman Catholic bishop|
William Joseph Foley DD (20 June 1931 in Nedlands, Western Australia - 10 February 1991 in Perth), an Australian metropolitan bishop, was the seventh Roman Catholic Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Perth, Western Australia, serving from 1983 until his death in 1991. Prior to his election as Archbishop, Foley served as Bishop of Geraldton from 1981 until 1983.
Archbishop of Perth
Foley served as the fourth archbishop of Perth from 1983 to 1991.
A portrait of the late Archbishop hangs in Foley Hall in The University of Notre Dame, Perth campus, named in his honour in 1993. Foley's family have also established a prize, called the Foley Award in memory of the late Archbishop, given to a student who has made an outstanding contribution to service and to Notre Dame University.
- "Archbishop William Joseph Foley". The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Bishop William Foley". Roman Catholic Diocese of Geraldton. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Br P L O'Doherty Cultural Centre Newsletter" (PDF). Trinity College, Perth. 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "Generous gift by former Dean acknowledges significant contribution to Notre Dame" (Press release). University of Notre Dame, Perth. 24 March 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Winship, John A. (2010). Our Cathedral: A History of St Mary's Cathedral, Perth, Western Australia (paperback). Perth, Western Australia: Archdiocese of Perth. p. 240. ISBN 978-1-4537-5519-8.
|Catholic Church titles|
Francis Xavier Thomas
|6th Catholic Bishop of Geraldton
1981 – 1983
|7th Catholic Archbishop of Perth
1983 – 1991
|This article about a Catholic bishop or archbishop from Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|