William H. English (bust)
|William H. English|
|Dimensions||55.88 cm × 60.96 cm × 38.1 cm (22.00 in × 24.00 in × 15.0 in)|
|Location||Indiana Statehouse, Indianapolis, Indiana|
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
SESSION OF 1851-52
The sculpture is sitting on top of a large pedestal. He is wearing a tuxedo with a bow tie, vest, jacket, and tuxedo shirt. English has a heavy brow, mustache, and beard. His hair is parted to the proper right. He is facing directly forward. The letters in the inscription on the pedestal are highlighted with gold. The bust rests in a niche with overall dimensions 22 x 24 x 15 in. (with pedestal).
William H. English was the Speaker of House, a political civil servant, native of Lexington, Indiana, and the first manager of English's Opera House and Hotel, which was destroyed in 1948 to make way for a J.C. Penney's department store on Monument Circle.
He was a key figure in the development and building of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, located at the center of Indianapolis' Monument Circle. He was a part of the board of commissioners for the erection of the monument. He was connected with the first National Bank of Indianapolis and a historian.
William H. English made significant contributions to the development of the city of Indianapolis; the state capitol of Indiana. His birth and death dates are 27 August 1822 – 7 February 1896. This bust may have been placed posthumously.
- Abraham Lincoln (Jones)
- Ashbel Parsons Willard (Dexter)
- Benjamin Harrison (Peglow)
- Calvin Fletcher (Indianapolis)
- Otis Bowen (Lanagan)
- Robert D. Orr (Ingle)
- Indiana State Museum. Bust of William H. English, ID 99.2006.020.0079. 11 April 2006. Retrieved from Indiana State Museum Mimsy Database 18 November 2010.
- Barrows, Robert G. and Bodenhamer, David J. (1994) The Encyclopedia of Indianapolis. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, p. 547.
- Hedges, Charles (1892). Speeches of Benjamin Harrison, Twenty-third President of the United States. United States Book Company, p. 211.
- Encyclopedia of Indianapolis
- Indiana Statehouse Tour Office
- View more photos of this piece and other artwork found at the Indiana Statehouse
- Images of William H. English (Indianapolis) in Flickr