William Magee (physician)
|William Magee, Jr MD, DDS|
|Fields||Pediatric Plastic and Craniofacial Surgery|
|Institutions||Eastern Virginia Medical School
Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters
|Alma mater||George Washington University
University of Maryland
|Known for||Founder of Operation Smile|
Dr. William P. Magee, Jr., D.D.S., M.D., an American plastic and craniofacial surgeon, founded Operation Smile in 1982, with his wife, Kathleen S. Magee, B.S.N., M.Ed., M.S.W., and serves as the organization's Chief Executive Officer. Operation Smile is a private, non-profit volunteer medical services organization providing reconstructive surgery and related health care to indigent children and young adults in developing countries and the United States.
In addition to leading the organization as CEO, Dr. Magee also trains international physicians in craniofacial techniques through Operation Smile's annual Physician's Training Program. In 1999, the Magees envisioned and launched World Journey of Hope '99, the largest surgical mission in history dedicated to correcting facial deformities among some of the world's neediest children. The nine-week mission, the first-ever of its kind, transformed the lives of more than 5,300 children and young adults in 17 developing countries and in 10 cities across the United States.
According to the IRS Form 990 for 2012 Dr. Magee was paid $355,685 in reportable compensation by Operation Smile, Inc. for the year ending June 30, 2013.  Dr. Magee's compensation from Operation Smile, Inc. was $350,000 for the year ending June 30, 2014 according to the IRS Form 990 filed by Operation Smile, Inc. 
Dr. Magee attended medical school at George Washington University and dental school at the University of Maryland. After completing his general surgery residency at the University of Virginia, he came to the EVMS for a plastic surgery fellowship (EVMS no longer offers a plastic surgery fellowship). He is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and specializes in cleft lip, cleft palate, craniofacial deformities, and hemangiomas. He is currently employed at the Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters, and simultaneously runs his practice, Magee-Rosenblum Plastic Surgery, in Norfolk, Newport News, and Chesapeake, Virginia. Dr. Magee is also an associate professor at Eastern Virginia Medical School.
Awards and honors
Dr. Magee's work on behalf of children around the world has led to the receipt of numerous awards and honors, including:
- Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize - 1996
- Servants of Peace Award - 1997
- Golden Plate Award - 1999
- Common Wealth Award of Distinguished Service - 2001
- Antonio Feltrinelli Prize for Exceptional Endeavors of Outstanding Moral and Humanitarian Value - 2001
- Frank Annunzio Award - 2002
- Medical Mission Hall of Fame induction - 2003
- The Humanitarian Rose Award - 2004
- President's Call to Service Award - 2007
- Operation Smile - Our Co-founders - William P. Magee Jr., D.D.S., M.D. Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer
- Operation Smile Form 990 for 2012
- Form 990 for 2013 - retrieved from Foundation Center 2/13/15
- Operation Smile Website: http://www.operationsmile.org/about_us/leadership/founders.html
- Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters - Physician Profile - Dr. William Magee Jr.