Life and work
Opdyke received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1979, an M.S. from University of Wisconsin at Madison in 1982, and his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign in 1992 under supervision of Ralph Johnson. His Ph.D. thesis, Refactoring Object-Oriented Frameworks, was the first in-depth study of code refactoring as a software engineering technique.
After graduation Opdyke started his career at AT&T Bell Laboratories in 1981, where he worked as researcher until 2001. From 2001 to 2006 he was Associate Professor in Computer Science at North Central College in Naperville, Illinois, and for Motorola in Schaumburg, Illinois. Since 2009 he is enterprise architect in the Mobile and Web Retail Banking area, and trainer at the Technical Leadership Development program.
- Opdyke, William F. Refactoring Object-Oriented Frameworks. Diss. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992.
- Fowler, M., Beck, K., Brant, J., Opdyke, W., & Roberts, D. (1999). Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Programs.
Articles, a selection:
- Opdyke, William F., and Ralph E. Johnson. "Creating abstract superclasses by refactoring." Proceedings of the 1993 ACM conference on Computer science. ACM, 1993.
- Johnson, Ralph E., and William F. Opdyke. "Refactoring and aggregation." Object Technologies for Advanced Software. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 1993. 264-278.
- Foote, Brian, and William F. Opdyke. "Lifecycle and refactoring patterns that support evolution and reuse." Pattern languages of program design 1 (1995).
- Fowler, Martin; Beck, Kent (1999), Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code, The Addison-Wesley object technology series, Addison-Wesley, p. 415, ISBN 978-0-201-48567-7.
- Buschmann, Frank; Henney, Kevlin; Schmidt, Douglas (2007), Pattern-oriented Software Architecture: On Patterns and Pattern Language, Pattern-Oriented Software Architecture, vol. 5, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0471486480.
- Opdyke, William (1992), Refactoring Object-Oriented Frameworks, hdl:2142/72072.
- Affiliation listed as an organizer of the Third ACM Workshop on Refactoring Tools (WRT'09), retrieved 2010-04-27.
- List of publications from DBLP