William R. Stokes
William R. Stokes is an American politician and former Mayor of Augusta, the capital city of the U.S. state of Maine. Stokes became Mayor of Augusta on June 16, 2011, when his predecessor, former Mayor Roger Katz, resigned from office to take a seat in the Maine Senate. Stokes is a member of the Democratic Party. 
On May 7, 2014, Stokes was nominated to serve as a Maine Superior Court justice by Governor Paul LePage. Stokes would fill the seat currently held by Jeffrey Hjelm, who LePage nominated to serve on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.  Stokes was unanimously confirmed on July 31st, and had said he would need to resign as mayor at that moment. 
- "Mayor's Office". City of Augusta, Maine. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "Office of the Maine Attorney General". Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Augusta Mayor Stokes nominated for judgeship". Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Senate elevates Superior Court judge, long time prosecutor to the bench". Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- "Augusta faces a week with no mayor if Stokes becomes judge". Retrieved 2014-08-01.
|This article about a Maine politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|