William Sanders (businessman)
William David Sanders
December 2, 1941
Ramsey County, Minnesota, U.S.
|Education||Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences|
|Occupation||Real estate developer|
|Known for||Founder, LaSalle Partners|
|Home town||El Paso, Texas, US|
|Net worth||US$500 million (November 2018)|
Louann H. Feuille (m. 1974)
|Relatives||Beto O'Rourke (son-in-law)|
Sanders was born in 1941 in Ramsey County, Minnesota, the son of Marion Jane (Birkenstein) and David Edwin Sanders, an advertising agency owner. His father was born in Parral, Chihuahua, Mexico, to German Jewish immigrants. Sanders' maternal grandfather was born in Chicago to German Jewish parents while his maternal grandmother was also born in Chicago to Irish Catholic parents. He was raised in El Paso, Texas. In 1964, Sanders graduated from Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. In 1968, he founded the real estate firm LaSalle Partners, headquartered in Chicago. In 1999, LaSalle Partners merged with Jones Lang Wooton to form Jones Lang LaSalle.
He served as chairman of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT). In 1999, he received Cornell's "Entrepreneur of the Year" award.
Sanders married Louann H. Feuille on May 18, 1974 in El Paso. They had two sons and three daughters.
- Helman, Christopher. "Is Beto O'Rourke's Wife Really A 'Billionaire' Heiress? Not Likely". Forbes. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- JESSICA KWONG (14 March 2019). "BETO O'ROURKE NET WORTH MADE DEMOCRATIC 2020 CANDIDATE ONE OF THE WEALTHIEST MEMBERS OF CONGRESS". Newsweek. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 4 November 2019.
William Sanders, whom The New York Times called a billionaire, but his net worth was closer to $500 million
- "William David Sanders; from "Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002"". FamilySearch. Minnesota Department of Health. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Bergsman, Steve (2006). Maverick Real Estate Financing: The Art of Raising Capital and Owning Properties Like Ross, Sanders and Carey. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-74587-7.
- "David and Marion marriage announcement". Newspapers.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "The Family of Levi and Friederike Lowenberg" (PDF).
- "Elizabeth Lillian Beahan; from "Illinois, Cook County, Birth Certificates, 1871-1940"". FamilySearch. Cook County Courthouse, Chicago. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Jones, Randall The Richest Man in Town: The Twelve Commandments of Wealth
- "Real estate entrepreneur and alumnus to be honored". Cornell Chronicle. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Saul, Stephanie (29 October 2018). "Beto O'Rourke Once Supported an El Paso Real Estate Deal. Barrio Residents Remember". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
Bloomberg News once called Mr. Sanders the Warren Buffett of the real estate industry and estimated the value of his portfolio at $20 billion.
- "Texas Marriage Index -- 1824-2014". texas.gov. Austin, Texas: Texas Department of State Health Services. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Terrell, Steve (March 30, 2019). "From Santa Fe to the White House?". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved April 7, 2019.