William Sanders (businessman)
Sanders was raised in El Paso, Texas, the son of an advertising agency owner. In 1964, Sanders graduated from Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. In 1968, he founded the real estate firm LaSalle Partners in El Paso, Texas, and years later he partnered with real estate tycoon Ron Blankenship and founded the Security Capital Group (1990) and Verde Realty. Among existing companies that evolved from holdings once associated with Sanders are: ProLogis, Archstone-Smith Trust (a real estate investment trust), CarrAmerica Realty and Storage USA. In 1999, LaSalle Partners merged with Jones Lang Wooton to form Jones Lang LaSalle.
He served as Chairman of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT). In 1999, he received Cornell's Entrepreneur of the Year award.
Bloomberg estimated the real estate portfolio that Sanders managed as being worth $20 billion in 1999 and called him "the Warren Buffett of real estate." However Forbes estimated his wealth in 2018 at $500 million.
- "William David Sanders: Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002". FamilySearch. May 6, 2014. Retrieved November 19, 2018.
- Bergsman, Steve (2006). Maverick Real Estate Financing: The Art of Raising Capital and Owning Properties Like Ross, Sanders and Carey. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-74587-7.
- Jones, Randall The Richest Man in Town: The Twelve Commandments of Wealth
- Cornell's Entrepreneur of the Year
- Stephanie Saul (29 October 2018). "Beto O'Rourke Once Supported an El Paso Real Estate Deal. Barrio Residents Remember". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
Bloomberg News once called Mr. Sanders the Warren Buffett of the real estate industry and estimated the value of his portfolio at $20 billion.
- Saul, Stephanie (29 October 2018). "Beto O'Rourke Once Supported an El Paso Real Estate Deal. Barrio Residents Remember". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
Mr. O’Rourke’s father-in-law, Mr. Sanders, now 77, had grown up in El Paso, attended Cornell, then started the national real estate company LaSalle Partners