William Sanders (businessman)
William David Sanders
December 2, 1941
Ramsey County, Minnesota, U.S.
|Education||Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences|
|Occupation||Real estate developer|
|Known for||Founder, LaSalle Partners|
|Home town||El Paso, Texas, US|
|Net worth||US$500 million (November 2018)|
Louann H. Feuille (m. 1974)
|Parent(s)||David Edwin Sanders|
Marion Jane Birkenstein
|Relatives||Beto O'Rourke (son-in-law)|
Sanders was born in 1941 in Ramsey County, Minnesota, the son of Marion Jane (Birkenstein) and David Edwin Sanders, an advertising agency owner. His father was born in Parral, Chihuahua, Mexico, to German Jewish immigrants. Sanders' maternal grandfather was born in Chicago to German Jewish parents while his maternal grandmother was also born in Chicago to Irish Catholic parents. He was raised in El Paso, Texas. In 1964, Sanders graduated from Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. In 1968, he founded the real estate firm LaSalle Partners, headquartered in Chicago. In 1999, LaSalle Partners merged with Jones Lang Wooton to form Jones Lang LaSalle.
He served as chairman of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT). In 1999, he received Cornell's "Entrepreneur of the Year" award.
Sanders once managed a real estate portfolio of $20 billion, and was referred to as the "Warren Buffett of real estate" by Bloomberg News in 1999. His estimated net worth in 2018 was $500 million.
Sanders married Louann H. Feuille on May 18, 1974 in El Paso. They had two sons and three daughters.
- Helman, Christopher. "Is Beto O'Rourke's Wife Really A 'Billionaire' Heiress? Not Likely". Forbes. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "William David Sanders; from "Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002"". FamilySearch. Minnesota Department of Health. Retrieved March 26, 2019.
- Bergsman, Steve (2006). Maverick Real Estate Financing: The Art of Raising Capital and Owning Properties Like Ross, Sanders and Carey. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-471-74587-7.
- "David and Marion marriage announcement". Newspapers.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- David Edwin Sanders at Find a Grave
- "Elizabeth Lillian Beahan; from "Illinois, Cook County, Birth Certificates, 1871-1940"". FamilySearch. Cook County Courthouse, Chicago. Retrieved March 25, 2019.
- Jones, Randall The Richest Man in Town: The Twelve Commandments of Wealth
- "Real estate entrepreneur and alumnus to be honored". Cornell Chronicle. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Saul, Stephanie (29 October 2018). "Beto O'Rourke Once Supported an El Paso Real Estate Deal. Barrio Residents Remember". The New York Times. Retrieved 31 October 2018.
Bloomberg News once called Mr. Sanders the Warren Buffett of the real estate industry and estimated the value of his portfolio at $20 billion.
- "Texas Marriage Index -- 1824-2014". texas.gov. Austin, Texas: Texas Department of State Health Services. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Terrell, Steve (March 30, 2019). "From Santa Fe to the White House?". The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved April 7, 2019.