Wilmington (MBTA station)
Wilmington station in April 2016, viewed from the Route 62 overpass
|Location||405 Main Street
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Parking||191 spaces ($4.00 fee)
7 accessible spaces
|Passengers (2013)||544 (weekday inbound average)|
Wilmington is a commuter rail station on the MBTA Commuter Rail Lowell Line, located near the intersection of Main Street (Routes 38/129) and Church Street (Route 62) in the town center of Wilmington, Massachusetts. The station serves most trains on the Lowell Line as well as a limited number of trains from the Haverhill Line which run via the Wildcat Branch. The station is handicapped accessible, with mini-high platforms serving both tracks.
The platforms are staggered; the southbound platform is entirely to the north of the Route 62 overpass, while over half of the northbound platform is south of the bridge. A pedestrian crossing between the two platforms is located just north of the bridge; until a path from an adjacent apartment complex opened in 2015, this was the only access to the southbound platform.
The Wildcat Branch, used by Amtrak Downeaster trains and some Haverhill Line express trains, connects with the Lowell Line at Wilmington station. The single-track branch splits from the northbound track just north of the platform. Southbound trains coming from the Wildcat Branch cannot reach the southbound platform; instead, they use the northbound platform. An interlocking south of the station allows these trains to switch onto the southbound track.
- Roy, John H. Jr. (2007). A Field Guide to Southern New England Railroad Depots and Freight Houses. Branch Line Press. pp. 272–273. ISBN 9780942147087.
- "Ridership and Service Statistics" (PDF) (14 ed.). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- Held, Patrick R. (2010). "Massachusetts Bay Colony Railroad Track Charts" (PDF). Johns Hopkins Association for Computing Machinery. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 October 2013.
- Media related to Wilmington (MBTA station) at Wikimedia Commons
- MBTA - Wilmington
- Station from Route 62 from Google Maps Street View