Without My Daughter
|This article does not cite any sources. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Without My Daughter|
|Directed by||Kari Tervo
|Produced by||Kari Tervo
|Written by||Alexis Kouros|
|Music by||Tuomas Kantelinen|
|Edited by||Riitta Poikselkä|
In 1987, a book titled Not Without My Daughter was published, based on the story of an American woman, Betty Mahmoody. According to the book, Mahmoody and her daughter Mahtob Mahmoody were taken by her Iranian husband, Sayed Bozorg Mahmoody, for a "two-week holiday" to Iran, and he kept them there against their will. She managed to escape 18 months later, taking their 5-year-old daughter with her to Turkey and back to the United States. In 1991, a movie titled Not Without My Daughter starring Sally Field was released, based on the events described in her book.
This documentary tells Sayed Mahmoody's side of that story. It goes beyond the personal and emotional desires of a father seeking to meet his daughter, and explores the wider political and global contexts underlying the case of the Mahmoody family.
- International Documentary Festival Amsterdam IDGA, Joris Ivens series 2002
- Docpoint International Documentary festival, Helsinki, Finland 2003
- Gothenburg Film Festival, Gothenburg, Sweden 2003
- Fajr Film Festival, Tehran, Iran 2003
- Tampere International Film Festival, Tampere, Finland 2003
- VERA, Short and Documentary Film Festival, Mariehamn, Finland 2003
- East Lansing International Film Festival, Michigan, USA 2003
- Jeon Ju International Film Festival, Seoul, Korea 2003
- Without My Daughter on Internet Movie Database
- "Finnish Documentary Counters Anti-Iran Propaganda in US Film"
|This article related to Finnish film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|