Word on Fire
|Founder||Bishop Robert Barron|
|Founded at||Des Plaines, Illinois, United States|
|Type||Non-profit Catholic new media organization|
Word on Fire is a Catholic media organization that uses digital and traditional media to introduce Catholicism to the broader world, founded by Bishop Robert Barron. Word on Fire rose to prominence through Barron's work as a priest that engages with new media and has been noted as an effective model for sharing information about Catholicism to the public.
Initially Barron worked through radio, and television, hosting the Word on Fire radio show on Relevant Radio and the Word on Fire with Father Barron television show on WGN America. Barron eventually expanded to online distribution through social media, and is active with distributing videos on YouTube. In addition to this, Word on Fire distributes spiritual media as DVDs and books for individual and group study.
Catholicism series (2011)
In 2011, Word on Fire published Catholicism, a ten-part video documentary series that explores the cultural, spiritual, and historical elements of Catholicism. Offered on DVD, the series was also broadcast on PBS, prompting PBS's ombudsmen to issue a statement clarifying to the public that it was not produced using PBS funding, which some viewers having expressed that as a concern.
The series has receive numerous praises by figures like papal biographer George Weigel, card. Timothy Dolan and card. Francis George for its effort in pursuing the new evangelization in the modern world.
Some critics however have noted how the series, while being relevant for providing basic teachings of the Catholic doctrine to the secular world also thought splendid and beautiful imagery, follows in different parts a strongly ecumenical viewpoint, failing to adequately present and discuss the more controversial topics of hell, sin, sexual morality and the necessity of the Church for salvation, even reducing in some cases the mission of Jesus Christ as a bearer of social justice values. Some parts also appear to be in contrast with traditional Catholic teachings, especially regarding the nature of hell and heaven or when the existence of Adam and Eve is denied.
- "Thousands of Catholics converge on Lake Placid – LakePlacidNews.com – News and information on the Lake Placid and Essex County region of New York – Lake Placid News". Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "What clergy are hearing from Francis: 'Presence, mercy and service'". 19 August 2016. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- "New regional bishop goes viral as social media star". Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- PBS. "PBS – Ombudsman – Catholicism: A Religion, but NOT a 'PBS' Series". Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Barron, Bishop Robert. "CATHOLICISM 10th Anniversary Online Screening Event". catholicismseries.com. Retrieved 15 August 2020.
- Niles, Christine. "Review of Fr. Robert Barron's Catholicism" (PDF). Church Militant.