A work order or job order (sometimes job ticket or work ticket, as it often has some type of ticket attached) is an order received by an organization from a customer or client, or an order created internally within the organization. A work order may be for products or services.
In a manufacturing environment, a work order is converted from a sales order to show that work is about to begin on the manufacture, building or engineering of the products requested by the customer. In a service environment, a work order can be equivalent to a service order where the WO records the location, date and time the service is carried out and the nature of work that is done. The type of personnel (e.g. job position) may also be listed on the WO. A rate (e.g. $/hr, $/week) and also the total amount of hours worked and total value is also shown on the work order.
Contractors may use a single job work order and invoice form that contains the customer information, describes the work performed, lists charges for material and labor, and can be given to the customer as an invoice.
A job order is an internal document extensively used by projects-based, manufacturing, building and fabrication businesses. A job order may be for products and/or services. In a manufacturing environment, a job order is used to signal the start of a manufacturing process and will most probably be linked to a bill of material. Hence, the job order will probably state:
- the quantity of the product to be manufactured, built or fabricated
- the amount of raw material to be used, its price and amount
- the types of labour required, rate (per hour or per unit) and amount
- the machine utilisation for each machine during the routing process, its rate and amount
In a service environment, a job order can be the equivalent to a work or service order where the job order records the location, date and time the service is carried out and the nature of service that was carried out. The type of personnel (e.g. job position) may also be listed on the job order. A rate (e.g. $/hr, $/week) and also the total amount of hours worked and total value is also shown.
- Maintenance, repair and operations
- Order fulfillment
- Sales order
- Order management system
- Corrective work order
- Facilities Management Request for Service, William & Mary University, wm.edu.
- Instructions for Completing Network & Telecommunications Work Order Form, California State University (Long Beach), csulb.edu.
- Corrigo work order flow diagram, www.corrigo.com.
- Dispatched work order flow diagram, www.dispatchedsoftware.com.
- Preventive Maintenance Scheduling Software and Work Order Programs, wds-software.com.
- job work order and invoice form, see "Manual Forms", deluxeforms.com.