World Burns to Death
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|World Burns to Death|
|Labels||Hardcore Holocaust, Prank Records, HG:Fact|
|Associated acts||Kegcharge, Severed Head of State,|
World Burns to Death is an American Crust punk band from Austin, Texas. Formed in 2000, the current lineup (as of September, 2014) consists of: Jack Control, vocals; Zac Tew, guitar; Craig Merritt, bass; and Jon Guerinot, drums. Current and former members are also involved with other bands, including Kegcharge, Severed Head of State, and Butcher.
Track 6 from The Sucking of the Missile Cock
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Imagery and lyrical themes
World Burns to Death's aesthetic preference is for stark black-and-white imagery. These images mirror the lyrical themes of the band, which detail crimes against humanity, religious hypocrisy and religion's effect on society, class oppression, nationalism, and man's general inhumanity to man.
The band's logo usually appears written in Hebrew. The Hebrew wording may appear to be a literal translation of the band's name, but it is not. Rather, it is "World Burns to Death" with the Chaya font. The tsadi (sometimes spelled "tzaadi") has become the band's logo. The logo is also noteworthy because the symbol is an inscription commonly used on Israeli army munitions.
The band's English font is an Anglicized version of Chaya font characters. This font may have been inspired by that used on the cover of Simon Wiesenthal's 1990 book Justice, Not Vengeance. Singer Jack Control designs the fonts, writes the lyrics, and provides the band's graphics.
World Burns to Death's lyrics focus on war crimes and the consequences thereof. Vocalist Jack Control in an interview stated, "Murdering the innocent in the name of 'democracy,' destabilizing economies in the name of 'capitalism,' installing brutal dictatorships in the name of 'freedom' are all terrible injustices and serve to fill the lyrical coffers of World Burns to Death".
The band's lyrics contain references to William Shakespeare, German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, individualist anarchist Max Stirner, leftist writers Susan Sontag and Herbert Marcuse, political prisoner Stephen Biko, and others. Also quoted are the inscriptions above concentration camps, such as the "Welcome to the Jewish State" statement written on Belzec's gates, which is quoted in the No Dawn Comes ... Night Without End EP. the imagery of death camps, gulags, and scenes of genocide is to underscore the effects of war, barbarism, and horror.
One of the first of World Burns to Death's tours was the Texas-only "Triple Terror Tour" with Inepsy and Spazm 151. The arrival of 2003 saw a "Queimando Para a Morte" tour of Brazil. Fall of 2004 saw the "Ghoulish Killing Orgy" US east coast/Canadian tour; Fall of 2005 saw the "Those Who Have Come To The End" tour of the US west coast; 2007 was the Burning Spirits tour of Japan with Forward; 2008 they were back on tour in Europe for 2 weeks; and 2009, a second tour of Japan with Paintbox and Blow Back remembering the late guitarist of Paintbox, Chelsea. 2010 saw a tour of the US east coast and the "deep south" with Japan hardcore legends Slang.
- Jack Control - vocals - Also of Severed Head of State, Butcher, Formerly of Scorched Earth Policy
- Zac Tew - guitar - Also of Kegcharge, Smash Detox, You People
- Craig Merritt - bass - Also of Offenders, The and Children In Heat, Formerly of The Bulemics
- Jon Guerinot - drums - Also of Kegcharge and Deadly Reign, Formerly of Iskallt Regn
- World Burns to Death demo tape (35 pressed [self released]) 2001
- Human Meat ... Tossed to the Dogs of War 7" EP (3000 pressed [Prank Records USA]) 2001
- The Sucking of the Missile Cock LP (3000 pressed [Hardcore Holocaust Records USA]) 2002 (2000 repressed April 2004 w/black label on B side)
- The Sucking of the Missile Cock CD (3000 pressed [Hardcore Holocaust Records USA]) 2003 (500 seized by Brazilian customs)
- Acid in the Face of Human Rights 7" EP (1000 pressed [Fight Records] Finland) 2003
- Art of self-destruction 7" EP (3000 pressed [Prank Records USA]) 2003
- No Dawn Comes ... Night Without End 7" EP (3000 pressed [Hardcore Holocaust Records USA]) 2003
- Curse Them Forever split 7" EP with SICK TERROR (? pressed [Terrotten Records Brazil]) 2003
- Split 7" EP with DISCLOSE (700 pressed [Dan-Doh Records Japan]) 2005 (? repressed 2005 [Yellowdog Records Germany] 100 w/poster, envelope, and split badge)
- Totalitarian Sodomy LP (3000 pressed [Hardcore Holocaust Records USA]) 2006. Artwork by Sakevi Yokoyama Beast Arts/GISM
- Totalitarian Sodomy CD (500 w/Japanese lyrics booklet [Hardcore Holocaust Records USA])
- Cease To Exist DVD (1000 pressed [Prank Records USA]) 2007
- Graveyard of Utopia CD/LP (HG Fact Records Japan/Prank Records USA) 2008
- "Black Becomes The Sun" 7" EP (1000 pressed [HG Fact Records Japan]) 2009
- Split 7" EP with BLOW BACK (HG Fact Records Japan) 2009
- Split 7" EP with SLANG (Prank Records USA) 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to World Burns to Death.|