World Professional Association for Transgender Health
|Purpose||To promote evidence-based care, education, research, advocacy, public policy, and respect in transgender health.|
|Headquarters||East Dundee, Illinois, U.S.|
|Products||Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People|
|Gail Knudson, MD, FRCPC|
|Randi Ettner, PhD|
|Walter Pierre Bouman, MD|
|Sam Winter, PhD; Tamara Adrian, JD; Katherine Rachlin, PhD; Dan Karasic, MD; Loren Schecter, MD; Baudewijntje Kreukels, PhD; Tone Marie Hansen; Griet De Cuypere, MD (EPATH Representative); Luke Allen, MA (Student Representative); Lin Fraser, EdD, Ex-Officio (GEI Co-Chair)|
|Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association|
The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA), is a professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of gender dysphoria. Professionals include anyone working in disciplines such as medicine, psychology, law, social work, counseling, psychotherapy, family studies, sociology, anthropology, speech and voice therapy and sexology. Non-professionals may also join, paying the same membership fee, but without voting privileges. The organization is funded by its membership and by donations and grants from non-commercial sources.
WPATH publishes the Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People, educates professionals and consumers, sponsors scientific conferences, and provides ethical guidelines for professionals. The first version of the Standards of Care were published in 1979. Version 7 was published in 2011.
- Paul A. Walker, Ph.D., 1979–1981
- Donald R. Laub, M.D., 1981–1983
- Milton T. Edgerton, M.D., 1983–1985
- Ira B. Pauly, M.D., 1985–1987
- Aaron T. Bilowitz, M.D., 1987–1989
- Jan Walinder, M.D., 1989–1991
- Leah Schaefer, Ed.D., 1991–1995
- Friedmann Pfaefflin, M.D. 1995–1997
- Richard Green, J.D., 1997–1999
- Alice Webb, DHS, 1999
- Eli Coleman, Ph.D., 1999–2003
- Walter Meyer III, M.D., 2003–2005
- Stan Monstrey, M.D., 2005–2007
- Stephen Whittle, OBE, 2007–2009
- Walter O.Bockting, Ph.D., L.P., 2009–2011
- Lin Fraser, Ed.D., 2011–2013
- Jamison Green, Ph.D., 2013–2015
- Gail Knudson, M.D., FRCPC, 2016–2018
- "World Professional Association For Transgender Health". Tax Exempt Organization Search. Internal Revenue Service. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax". World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Guidestar. December 31, 2016.
- "Board of Directors". World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- WPATH Official website, Membership Information
- WPATH Official website, Mission & Vision
- Allee, Kegan M. Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association. In Encyclopedia of gender and society, Volume 1, p. 402. SAGE, ISBN 978-1-4129-0916-7
- Wong, Gillian (June 17, 2009). China preps 1st guidelines for sex change surgery. The Guardian
- Figures, K. (2007). Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association Is Founded. In Faderman, Lillian & Retter, Yolanda (Eds.). Great Events from History: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Events, 1848-2006 Salem Press, ISBN 978-1-58765-263-9
- "Standards of Care, Version 7". WPATH. Retrieved December 10, 2016.