World Professional Association for Transgender Health
|Purpose||To promote evidence-based care, education, research, advocacy, public policy, and respect in transgender health.|
|Headquarters||East Dundee, Illinois, U.S.|
|Products||Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People|
|Walter Pierre Bouman, MD, PhD|
|Marci Bowers, MD|
|Asa Radix, MD, PhD, MPH|
|Loren Schechter, MD|
|Board Members-at-Large - (2018 - 2022); Tamara Adrian, JD; Jaimie Veale, PhD; (2020 – 2022); Javier Belinky, MD; Michael Marshall, MBBS, MRCPSYCH, CCT, PGDIP (LAW); (2020 – 2024); Christina Richards, PSYD; Stephen Rosenthal, MD; Sanjay Sharma, MBBS, MMS;
Christina Richards, PSYD(EPATH REPRESENTATIVE); Erica Anderson, PhD (USPATH REPRESENTATIVE); Greg Mak, MD, FRCP, MBBS (ASIAPATH REPRESENTATIVE); Jared Boot, MA (EX-OFFICIO MEMBER - WPATH STUDENT INITIATIVE REPRESENTATIVE)
|Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association|
The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA), is a professional organization devoted to the understanding and treatment of gender dysphoria. Professionals include anyone working in disciplines such as medicine, psychology, law, social work, counseling, psychotherapy, family studies, sociology, anthropology, speech and voice therapy and sexology. Non-professionals may also join, paying the same membership fee, but without voting privileges. The organization is funded by its membership and by donations and grants from non-commercial sources.
WPATH publishes the Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People, educates professionals and consumers, sponsors scientific conferences, and provides ethical guidelines for professionals. The first version of the Standards of Care were published in 1979. Version 7 was published in 2011.
In 2021, WPATH's President-Elect, Marci Bowers called the association intolerant of dissenting opinions. She said, "There are definitely people who are trying to keep out anyone who doesn't absolutely buy the party line that everything should be affirming, and that there's no room for dissent." WPATH and USPATH responded in a joint statement.
- Paul A. Walker, Ph.D., 1979–1981
- Donald R. Laub, M.D., 1981–1983
- Milton T. Edgerton, M.D., 1983–1985
- Ira B. Pauly, M.D., 1985–1987
- Aaron T. Bilowitz, M.D., 1987–1989
- Jan Walinder, M.D., 1989–1991
- Leah Schaefer, Ed.D., 1991–1995
- Friedmann Pfaefflin, M.D. 1995–1997
- Richard Green, J.D., 1997–1999
- Alice Webb, DHS, 1999
- Eli Coleman, Ph.D., 1999–2003
- Walter Meyer III, M.D., 2003–2005
- Stan Monstrey, M.D., 2005–2007
- Stephen Whittle, OBE, 2007–2009
- Walter O.Bockting, Ph.D., L.P., 2009–2011
- Lin Fraser, Ed.D., 2011–2013
- Jamison Green, Ph.D., 2013–2015
- Gail Knudson, M.D., FRCPC, 2016–2018
- Vin Tangpricha, M.D., Ph.D., 2018–2020
- Walter Pierre Bouman, M.D., Ph.D., 2020-2022
- "World Professional Association For Transgender Health". Tax Exempt Organization Search. Internal Revenue Service. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- "Form 990: Return of Organization Exempt from Income Tax". World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Guidestar. December 31, 2016.
- ["https://www.wpath.org/about/EC-BOD]". World Professional Association for Transgender Health. Retrieved March 3, 2021.
- WPATH Official website, Membership Information
- WPATH Official website, Mission & Vision
- Allee, Kegan M. Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association. In Encyclopedia of gender and society, Volume 1, p. 402. SAGE, ISBN 978-1-4129-0916-7
- Wong, Gillian (June 17, 2009). China preps 1st guidelines for sex change surgery. The Guardian
- Figures, K. (2007). Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association Is Founded. In Faderman, Lillian & Retter, Yolanda (Eds.). Great Events from History: Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Events, 1848-2006 Salem Press, ISBN 978-1-58765-263-9
- "Standards of Care, Version 7". Retrieved February 19, 2020.
- "Marci Bowers and transgender people". 27 October 2019.
- "Trans doctor warns against puberty blockers: Medical community 'zigged' too far Left".
- WPATH (October 12, 2021). Joint Letter from USPATH and WPATH. https://www.wpath.org/media/cms/Documents/Public%20Policies/2021/Joint%20WPATH%20USPATH%20Letter%20Dated%20Oct%2012%202021.pdf