World Saxophone Congress
The World Saxophone Congress is a festival gathering approximately 1000 saxophonists and other musicians from all over the world. It is held every three years at a different congress centre in a different country and focuses primarily (although not exclusively) on the performance of classical saxophone music.
The Congress presents an opportunity to meet saxophonists from many countries and to listen to various concerts and performances of saxophone soloists, chamber ensembles, big bands and symphony orchestras that run simultaneously throughout the day in different halls of the congress centre. Each of the five days is concluded by an evening concert of the orchestra and outstanding international soloists. It is also convened with the purpose of presenting the advancements of music production and distribution as well as innovations in instrument-making and equipment.
The seventeenth and most recent World Saxophone Congress, known as SaxOpen, was held between July 9 and 14, 2015 in Strasbourg France.  The eighteenth World Saxophone Congress is slated to be held in 2018 in Zagreb, Croatia. 
- "The most memorable time I spent with Paul [Brodie] was our December, 1968 meeting in Chicago. It was during this meeting that he articulated his vision of the establishment of a world saxophone congress. It came to fruition in conjunction with the Midwest Band Clinic during the following year. The World Saxophone Congress, thanks to the dream of Paul Brodie, had become established."
Paul Brodie himself recalls:
- "I went to an accordion congress in Toronto and I was so impressed that I thought “wouldn’t it be great to do this for the saxophone”.... The next year I came back to the Midwest Band Clinic. I had written an article for Instrumentalist Magazine - "Towards a World Saxophone Congress", and I was invited to a meeting of the executive committee and they offered me the grand ballroom of the Sherman House Hotel for 16 December 1969. I asked other saxophone players to help me and nobody responded. I called Eugene Rousseau because I had met him in Seattle at a music convention.... So we met in September 1969 at the Holiday Inn at O’Hare Airport in Chicago and we stayed up all night designing the program and started to call everybody the next morning and by the time we held the first congress we thought that maybe 200 people would show up. Well over 500 saxophonists showed up."
In 1981, a 7-member International Saxophone Committee (in French, Comite International du Saxophone, CIS). was set up to help organise the Congress.
Performers and participants
Congress performers/participants have included Frederick Hemke, Eugene Rousseau, Donald Sinta, Patrick Meighan, Bruce Faulconer, One O'Clock Lab Band, Lee Patrick, Ronald Caravan, Paul Brodie, Lin Chien-Kwan, Roger Greenberg, Debra Richtmeyer, Kyle Horch, the Scottish Saxophone Ensemble, the National Saxophone Choir of Great Britain, and Brian Brown
The World Saxophone Congress has been held in:
|1st||I||Chicago, USA||16 December||1969|
|2nd||II||Chicago, USA||14-15 December||1970|
|4th||IV||Bordeaux, France||3–6 July||1974|
|7th||VII||Nuremberg, Germany||7–11 July||1982|
|8th||VIII||Washington, D.C., USA||1985|
|12th||XII||Montreal, Canada||5–9 July||2000|
|13th||XIII||Minneapolis, USA||9–12 July||2003|
|14th||XIV||Ljubljana, Slovenia||5–9 July||2006|
|15th||XV||Bangkok, Thailand||8–12 July||2009|
|16th||XVI||St Andrews, Scotland||10–15 July||2012|
|17th||XVII||Strasbourg, France||9–14 July||2015|
|18th||XVIII||Zagreb, Croatia||10-14 July||2018|
- "Saxophone Congress Draws 1,000 Saxophonists", University of Minnesota news, 2003. Retrieved 11 Nov 2011
- World Saxophone Congress: Strasbourg 2015, retrieved 30 July 2012
- "17th World Saxophone Congress 2015 Archived 3 May 2016 at the Wayback Machine.", International Saxophone Committee announcement, May 2012, retrieved 30 July 2012
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 May 2016. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- Paul Harvey, Saxophone, Publisher Kahn & Averill, 1995, ISBN 1-871082-53-6, ISBN 978-1-871082-53-1, 149 pages (page 131[permanent dead link])
- Richard Ingham, The Cambridge companion to the saxophone, Publisher Cambridge University Press, 1998, ISBN 0-521-59666-1, ISBN 978-0-521-59666-4, 226 pages. (page 48[dead link])
- "Remembering Paul Brodie Archived 3 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine.", Saxophone Journal, Dorn Publishing, May/June 2008 (page 44)
- "Paul Brodie: Ambassador of the Saxophone Archived 18 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine.", interview by Willem Moolenbeek, 10 January 2000. Retrieved 11 Nov 2011
- "Statutes Archived 5 May 2016 at the Wayback Machine.", International Saxophone Committee, website retrieved 11 Nov 2011
- Formed in 1999, and invited performers at the XV World Saxophone Congress in Thailand in 2009. Facebook | Myspace Archived 18 June 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "World Sax Congress, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 8 July 2006 Archived 15 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine.", The National Saxophone Choir of Great Britain website, retrieved 26 Nov 2011.
- "World Saxophone Congress Set for Dec 14-15", The School Musician Director and Teacher, Volume 42, Ammark Publishing Company, 1970, page 21
- Saxophone journal, Volume 17, Publisher Dorn Publications, 1992. (page 35)
- Woodwind world, Volumes 10-13, Publisher Swift-Dorr Publications, 1971 (page 116)
- The Saxophone symposium: journal of the North American Saxophone Alliance, Volumes 26-27, Publisher North American Saxophone Alliance., 2001 (page 108)
- Woodwind world-brass & percussion, Volumes 16-17, National Flute Association (U.S.), Publisher Swift-Dorr Publication Inc., 1977 (page 58)
- Saxophone journal, Volume 24, Publisher Dorn Publications, 1999 (page 65)
- Richard Ingham, The Cambridge companion to the saxophone, Publisher Cambridge University Press, 1998, ISBN 0-521-59666-1, ISBN 978-0-521-59666-4, 226 pages. (page 68)
- 7th World Saxophone Congress: 7.- 11. Juli 1982 in Nürnberg, Publ. World Saxophone Congress (7, 1982, Nürnberg)
- "12th World Saxophone Congress" official Website, retrieved 26 Nov 2011
- World Saxophone Congress XIII, archived website via archive.org, retrieved 26 Nov 2011
- 14th World Saxophone Congress 2006 - Ljubljana - Slovenia archived website at archive.org, retrieved 26 Nov 2011
- 15th World Saxophone Congress 2009, Bangkok, archived website via archive.org, retrieved 26 Nov 2011
- 2012 World Saxophone Congress XVI, official website, retrieved 26 Nov 2012
- "Next World Saxophone Congress 2018 / Zagreb (Croatia) 2018", adolphesax.com, retrieved 15 June 2016
- Richard Ingham, The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone, Cambridge University Press, 1998, ISBN 0-521-59666-1
- Thomas Liley, Paul Brodie, Eugene Rousseau, A brief history of the World Saxophone Congress: 1969-2000, World Saxophone Congress, Published 2003, 42 pages
- 12th World Saxophone Congress, (Montreal, 2000)
- XIII. World Saxophone Congress (Minneapolis, 2003) at Archive.org
- XIV. World Saxophone Congress (Ljubljana, 2006) at Archive.org
- XV. World Saxophone Congress (Bangkok, 2009) at Archive.org
- XVI World Saxophone Congress (St Andrews 2012) | Official Facebook page
- XVII World Saxophone Congress (Strasbourg 2015) Official Facebook page
- International Saxophone Committee, organisers of World Saxophone Congress
- World Saxophone Congress video clips via Google Video
- MusicBrainz series page