Toregas during his tenure with the Cleveland Indians in 2009
December 2, 1982 |
|August 1, 2009 for the Cleveland Indians|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 12, 2011 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|Runs batted in||6|
Wyatt Reeder Toregas (born December 2, 1982) is an American former professional baseball catcher and the current manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates' Short-Season A affiliate, the West Virginia Black Bears.
After graduation from high school in 2001, Toregas played college baseball at Virginia Tech.
After being drafted by the Indians in 2004, Toregas played for the minor league teams Mahoning Valley Scrappers, Lake County Captains, Kinston Indians, Akron Aeros, and Columbus Clippers. A catcher and a 2007 non-roster invitee to spring training with the Indians, Toregas throws and bats right-handed. He also attended Indians spring training in 2009 but returned to the Columbus Clippers on March 24, 2009. Toregas made his Major League debut and got his first hit in his first Major League at bat on August 1, 2009. Toregas was released by the Indians after the 2010 season.
Toregas signed a minor league contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates on January 18, 2011. The Pirates purchased his contract on June 9, adding him to the active roster. He was designated for assignment on June 13. After the 2011 season, he elected for free agency.
In November 2011, Toregas signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates as a player-coach; he served as the first base coach for the 2012 Indianapolis Indians. In January 2015, Toregas was named as the first manager in the franchise history of the Pirates' Short-Season-A affiliate, the West Virginia Black Bears.
- Indians Send Sowers, 6 Others to Minors New York Times, March 24, 2009
- Brink, Bill. "Pirates DL Snyder, call up Toregas". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- Links, Zach. "Pirates Designate Wyatt Toregas For Assignment". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- Axisa, Mike. "22 Triple-A Players Elect Free Agency". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 1 October 2011.
- Williams, Tim (November 9, 2011). "Pirates Sign Six Minor League Free Agents".
- Biertempfel, Rob (January 15, 2015). "Pirates Notebook: Assignments Finalized".