South Lakes High School
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|South Lakes High School|
11400 South Lakes Drive
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||Veritas in Scientia|
(Truth in Knowledge)
|School district||Fairfax County Public Schools|
|Staff||188.96 (on an FTE basis) (2016–17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.35 (2016–17)|
|Color(s)|| Royal Blue|
|Athletics conference||Liberty District|
South Lakes underwent a $55 million renovation from winter 2006 through August 2008. The renovation was completed in time for the 2008–2009 school year. A second renovation, completed in the winter of 2017, gave the school a new wing.
- Maame Biney, short track speed skater who competed in the 2018 Winter Olympics
- Benny Blanco, rapper, songwriter, producer
- Grant Hill, professional basketball player
- Michael Jackson, professional basketball player
- Thomas Mayo, NFL wide receiver
- Walter Shaub, director of U.S. Office of Government Ethics from 2013 to 2017
- Mikie Sherrill, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New Jersey's 11th district
- Alan Webb, Olympic runner, U.S. high school mile record holder (3:53.43), and American mile record holder
- Christy Winters-Scott, NBC basketball announcer, University of Maryland women's basketball player, now the head girls basketball coach at South Lakes
- "Search for Public Schools - South Lakes High (510126000566)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "South Lakes High School Renovation". hessconstruction.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2007.
- Balderston, Michael (February 13, 2019). "Reston local Maame Biney on her achievements as an Olympian". Northern Virginia Magazine. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- McKinley, James (January 4, 2013). "Only 24, and at Home in the Top 10". The New York Times. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Vivlamore, Chris (December 7, 2017). "Grant Hill returns to South Lakes High School for jersey retirement". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved March 24, 2019 – via fairfaxtimes.com.
- Mullan, Dillon (December 2, 2017). "'Still a Reston kid,' Grant Hill has his jersey retired at South Lakes High School". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Tenorio, Paul (April 21, 2012). "Even as a scrawny high school freshman, Thomas Mayo never stopped believing". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
- Montgomery, David (March 30, 2017). "How the U.S. ethics chief took on Trump and became a reluctant Washington hero". Washington Post.
- "Sherrill, Mikie". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Powell, Camille (May 28, 2001). "Webb Sets High School Mile Record". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Williams, Preston (January 31, 2013). "South Lakes Coach Christy Winters Scott juggles high school basketball, a broadcasting career and family". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Lakes High School.|