South Lakes High School
|South Lakes High School|
11400 South Lakes Drive
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||Veritas in Scientia|
(Truth in Knowledge)
|School district||Fairfax County Public Schools|
|Staff||188.96 (FTE) (2016–17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.35∶1 (2016–17)|
|Color(s)|| Royal Blue|
|Athletics conference||Liberty District|
|SAT average||1,702 (2015–16)|
|Feeder schools||Hughes Middle School, Rachel Carson Middle School|
|Last updated: May 19, 2019|
South Lakes underwent a $55 million renovation from winter 2006 through August 2008. The renovation was completed in time for the 2008–2009 school year. A second renovation, completed in the winter of 2017, gave the school a new wing.
When the school first opened in 1978, South Lakes High School had an "open classroom" design. The school was laid out into four quadrants, one quadrant area for each grade level. Each quadrant, or "sub-school", was labeled by color: green for freshman, blue for sophomores, yellow for juniors, and orange for seniors. When the school was first opened each sub-school was designed to be a classroom within itself. The open space was not divided into individual classrooms or interrupted with walls. The open design was quickly determined to be an ineffective and distracting way for people to learn, especially with different teachers and students learning different materials around them. Individual classrooms were created with temporary dividers which remained until a renovation which took place between 2006 and 2008.
The extensive renovation changed several of the building's characteristic features. The four sub-school design was kept, but altered. Like the original design, there are four separate locker commons (one for each grade level), but the ease of access from one to another has been improved. Each classroom is divided by walls, rather than temporary dividers, and have their own door and windows (if located along the perimeter wall of the building). Classrooms have LCD projectors and the math classrooms are equipped with SmartBoards. The four cafeterias were combined into one larger cafeteria located in the center of the building. The media center was also moved and enlarged. After the completion of the second renovation of the school, a new wing was added allowing for an increase in the number of language and other classrooms.
South Lakes offers twenty sports at the varsity, JV, and freshman levels. The mascot is a seahawk and the sports teams play in the Liberty District as part of the Class 6 Northern Region (Region D) of the Virginia High School League.
- Christopher Royal, attended Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia. There he played as a defensive back. And then went on to play for the Philadelphia Soul in the Arena Football League.
- Benny Blanco, rapper, songwriter, producer. Graduated 2006
- Grant Hill, NBA basketball player
- Michael Jackson, NBA basketball player
- Julian Vaughn, basketball player, Oak Hill Academy, Georgetown University.
- Thomas Mayo, NFL wide receiver
- Wyatt Toregas, MLB catcher
- Andrew Siciliano, broadcaster
- Alan Webb, Olympic runner, U.S. high school mile record holder (3:53.43), and American mile record holder.
- Christy Winters-Scott, University of Maryland women's basketball player, now the head girls basketball coach at South Lakes
- "Search for Public Schools - South Lakes High (510126000566)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "FCPS - School Profiles - South Lakes HS - Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)". schoolprofiles.fcps.edu. Fairfax County Public Schools. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- "FCPS - School Profiles - South Lakes HS - Demographics". schoolprofiles.fcps.edu. Retrieved March 24, 2019.
- "South Lakes High School Renovation". hessconstruction.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2007.
- "Virginia native becomes an in-demand producer at 22". Reuters. May 15, 2017. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Kaplow, Bob. "Duke Wins Services Of Hill;South Lakes Forward To Announce Today". Washington Post. Archived from the original on November 3, 2012. Retrieved October 12, 2015 – via Highbeam.com.
- Vivlamore, Chris (December 7, 2017). "Grant Hill returns to South Lakes High School for jersey retirement". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved March 24, 2019 – via fairfaxtimes.com.
- Tenorio, Paul (April 21, 2012). "Even as a scrawny high school freshman, Thomas Mayo never stopped believing". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 19, 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Lakes High School.|