South Lakes High School
|South Lakes High School|
11400 South Lakes Drive
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||Veritas in Scientia|
(Truth in Knowledge)
|School district||Fairfax County Public Schools|
|Principal||Kimberly Brophy Retzer|
|Staff||188.96 (FTE) (2016-17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.35:1 (2016-17)|
|Color(s)|| Royal Blue|
|Athletics conference||Liberty District|
|Rival||Herndon High School|
|Feeder schools||Hughes Middle School, Rachel Carson Middle School|
The principal is Kimberly Brophy Retzer. The school also has 16 other administrators, including assistant administrators for each grade. The school's mascot is Seymour the Seahawk. The school colors are Royal Blue and Kelly Green. The school newspaper is named the Sentinel.
South Lakes underwent a $55 million renovation from winter 2006 through August 2008. The renovation was completed in time for the 2008–2009 school year. Another renovation is currently ongoing, projected to be complete by Winter, 2017.
Demographics and test scores
In the 2016-17 school year, South Lakes High School's enrollment of 2,523 students was 44.4% White, 24.9% Hispanic, 12.5% Black, 10.9% Asian, 6.8% two or more races, and 0.4% Other.
When the school first opened in 1978, South Lakes High School had an "open classroom" design. The school was laid out into four quadrants, one quadrant area for each grade level. Each quadrant, or "sub-school", was labeled by color: green for freshman, blue for sophomores, yellow for juniors, and orange for seniors. When the school was first opened each sub-school was designed to be a classroom within itself. The open space was not divided into individual classrooms or interrupted with walls. The open design was quickly determined to be an ineffective and distracting way for people to learn, especially with different teachers and students learning different materials around them. Individual classrooms were created with temporary dividers which remained until a renovation which took place between 2006 and 2008.
The extensive renovation changed several of the building's characteristic features. The four sub-school design was kept, but altered. Like the original design, there are four separate locker commons (one for each grade level), but the ease of access from one to another has been improved. Each classroom is divided by walls, rather than temporary dividers, and have their own door and windows (if located along the perimeter wall of the building). Classrooms have LCD projectors and the math classrooms are equipped with SmartBoards. The four cafeterias were combined into one larger cafeteria located in the center of the building. The media center was also moved and enlarged. Starting in the 2016–2017 school year, another wing will be added to the school.
The school's curriculum offers special education courses, remedial coursework, standard courses, and college-level advanced courses. There was once an Advanced Placement Course: AP U.S. Government and Politics, which will be omitted from the South Lakes Curriculum, effective from the school year 2018-2019. Advanced coursework is offered in the form of the International Baccalaureate program. South Lakes also has an Army JROTC program, which has a Gold Star. South Lakes offers three types of diplomas – Standard, Advanced, and IB.
South Lakes was a pioneer in the FCPS Political Science Program. A 1.5 credit class reserved for seniors, Political Science involves a one-semester introduction to the discipline followed by a semester-long internship with a local government agency or organization. This program is defunct and is no longer offered to seniors.
South Lakes offers twenty sports at the varsity, JV, and freshman levels. The mascot is a seahawk and the sports teams play in the Liberty District as part of the Class 6 Northern Region (Region D) of the Virginia High School League.
They are most known for their Boys Basketball team which has consistently been one of the top teams in the Washington D.C area dating back to the late 80s. The school has produced an extensive list of college and professional players. Former NBA All-Star Grant Hill attended and played for South Lakes; Succeeding Former Star Michael Jackson who played for the Sacramento Kings for 3 seasons.
- Avail band members went to South Lakes and the band was formed while they were still attending
- Big Pooh, Thomas Jone MC from underground hip hop group Little Brother, graduated in 1998
- Christopher Royal, attended Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia. There he played as a defensive back. And then went on to play for the Philadelphia Soul in the Arena Football League.
- Benny Blanco, rapper, songwriter, producer
- Nabra Hassanen, sophomore student killed during Ramadan in 2017
- Grant Hill, NBA basketball player
- Michael Jackson, NBA basketball player, played for the 1984 Georgetown University National Championship team, Olympic team, played professionally for the Sacramento Kings
- Derek Lee, former MLB player, Minnesota Twins
- Julian Vaughn, basketball player, Oak Hill Academy, Georgetown University.
- Thomas Mayo NFL wide receiver, New York Jets
- Wyatt Toregas, MLB catcher for Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Michael Shabaz, professional tennis player
- Aron Kader, comedian
- Spookey Ruben, pop musician
- Michael Hersch, composer
- Walter Shaub, Director, U.S. Office of Government Ethics, graduated in 1989
- Andrew Siciliano, broadcaster for Fox Sports Radio, Fox Sports Net television, DirecTV Red Zone Channel, Arena Football
- Eddie Timanus, sportswriter for USA Today and Jeopardy! champion
- Alan Webb, Olympic runner, U.S. high school mile record holder (3:53.43), and American mile record holder.
- Christy Winters-Scott, University of Maryland women's basketball Hall of Famer, assistant coach for Maryland, George Mason and Georgetown, and broadcaster for the Washington Mystics, Washington Wizards, and NCAA Women's Basketball. She is now the head girls basketball coach at South Lakes.
- RDGLDGRN, band members Andrei Busuioceanu (Gold), Marcus Parham (Red), and Pierre Desrosiers (Green) went to South Lakes.
- Karl Moline, Artist for DC, Marvel and Dark Horse Comics.
- Jessica O'Toole and Amy Rardin, screenwriting duo for The Carrie Diaries (TV series), the CW reboot of Charmed.
- Maame Biney, short track speed skater
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for South Lakes High". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- Administration. fcps.edu
- Student Newspaper. fcps.edu
- South Lakes High School Renovation. hessconstruction.com
- "FCPS - School Profiles - South Lakes HS - Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)". schoolprofiles.fcps.edu. Fairfax County Public Schools. Retrieved February 2, 2019.
- "Virginia native becomes an in-demand producer at 22". Reuters. 2017-05-15. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- Duke Wins Services Of Hill;South Lakes Forward To Announce Today. Highbeam.com. Retrieved on 2015-10-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Lakes High School.|