F. V. Theobald, 1901
Wyeomyia is a genus of mosquitoes first described in 1901 by Frederick Vincent Theobald. The genus's 140 species can be difficult to characterize because of their diversity and the need for additional taxonomic work to further delineate them. Adults resemble Limatus and Sabethes genus mosquitoes more closely than other genera in the New World tribe Sabethini, but differ by their scutal scales ranging in color from a relatively dull bronzy with a slight metallic sheen in most species, to a metallic gold. There are other distinguishing characters as well.
Most Wyeomyia mosquitoes are forest-inhabiting, preferring damp environments. Larvae develop in small collections of water in bromeliads and aroids, flower bracts, broken bamboo and bamboo stumps, tree holes, pitcher plants, and sometimes man-made containers. They feed on organic matter in the water, including decomposing carcasses of insects and spiders. Some species obtain oxygen directly from the water, rarely, if ever, surfacing.
Most Wyeomyia species will take blood meals, and females readily feed on humans who enter their habitat. Although Ilhéus, Venezuelan equine encephalitis and Maguari viruses have been isolated from Wyeomyia mosquitoes, they are not known to transmit a disease agent to humans.
- Antunesmyia Lane & Cerqueira, 1942
- Caenomyiella Harbach & Peyton, 1990
- Cruzmyia Lane & Cerqueira, 1942
- Decamyia Dyar, 1919
- Dendromyia Theobald, 1903
- Dodecamyia Dyar, 1918
- Exallomyia Harbach & Peyton, 1992
- Hystatomyia Dyar, 1919
- Menolepis Lutz, 1905
- Miamyia Dyar, 1919
- Nunezia Dyar, 1928
- Phoniomyia Theobald, 1903
- Prosopolepis Lutz, 1905
- Spilonympha Motta & Lourenço-de-Oliveira, 2005
- Triamyia Dyar, 1919
- Wyeomyia Theobald, 1901
- Zinzala Zavortink, 1986
- Walter Reed Biosystematics Unit: "Culicidae » Culicinae » Sabethini » Wyeomyia" in Systematic Catalog of Culicidae, http://www.wrbu.org/mqID/mq_gnra/wyeomyia.htm, accessed August 5, 2017.
- Mosquito Taxonomic Inventory: Wyeomyia Theobald, 1901, http://mosquito-taxonomic-inventory.info/simpletaxonomy/term/6251, accessed August 5, 2017.
- Robin McLeod with additional contributions by V. Belov: Genus Wyeomyia, Bugguide, http://bugguide.net/node/view/38485, last updated 11 October 2011, last accessed August 5, 2017.