Wynyard Walk Tunnel
|Other name(s)||Wynyard Walk Tunnel|
|Location||Sydney central business district, New South Wales, Australia|
|Opened||20 November 2016|
|Length||180 metres (590 ft)|
|Width||9 metres (30 ft)|
The Wynyard Walk is a 180-metre-long (590 ft) pedestrian link and tunnel between Wynyard station and Barangaroo in the Sydney central business district in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The walkway was officially opened on 20 September 2016. Wynyard Walk provides a quick and safe route and has increased the entry and exit capacity of Wynyard station to meet demand as Barangaroo is redeveloped. An estimated 20,000 pedestrians per hour can walk through the tunnel. In 2009, prior to construction of Barangaroo, the pedestrian tunnel was estimated to cost A$100 million.
- a five-storey entry building to Wynyard station (three storeys below ground and two above)
- an approximately 180-metre-long (590 ft) and 9-metre-wide (30 ft) underground fully accessible pedestrian tunnel situated approximately 2.5 metres (8.2 feet) under existing tunnels
- a pedestrian bridge over Sussex Street
- a public plaza area, Napoleon Plaza to provide an upgraded pedestrian precinct
The construction contract was awarded to Thiess in September 2012. In early 2014, construction at the Western Portal was put on hold to allow archaeologists to work on the site to preserve significant European and indigenous artefacts unearthed during excavation.
On 19 October 2015, a new pedestrian bridge over Sussex Street was opened. It provided a route onto the Napoleon Bridge directly into Barangaroo from Westpac Place behind the Sussex Hotel. While some construction of the Clarence Street entrance and minor finishes on Wynyard Walk continued until late 2016, the tunnel is open 24 hours per day.
- "Woods Bagot made architects for 'revolutionary' Wynyard Walk, Sydney". Architecture & Design. Infolink. 5 November 2012. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Wynyard Walk is the ultimate shortcut to Barangaroo" (Press release). Barangaroo Delivery Authority. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 22 February 2017.
- "Wynyard Walk". Barangaroo Delivery Authority. 20 September 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Asset Valuation under TPP07-01 Barangaroo Development Site, Hickson Road Sydney NSW" (PDF). Land & Property Information Valuation Services. 31 March 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- Wynyard Walk Theiss
- Wynyard Walk Transport for New South Wales
- "Budget delivers $10.5 billion for public transport". Transport for NSW. 21 June 2016.
- "Sydney property history inspires Wynyard plaza name proposal". commercialrealestate.com.au. 10 August 2016.