|City||Rosarito, Baja California|
|Broadcast area||San Diego-Tijuana
Los Angeles, California
(also on HD Radio)
|First air date||November 10, 1961 (concession)|
|Format||Spanish news / talk|
|Power||20,000 watts daytime
5,000 watts nighttime
(Transmisora Regional Radio Fórmula, S.A. de C.V.)
XEGM-AM received its concession on November 10, 1961. It was owned by Gustavo Faist Morán's Difusoras del Valle, S.A., and broadcast with 2,500 watts of power. By the late 1960s, XEGM had increased its power to 10,000 watts day/5,000 watts night.
In the late 1980s, the callsign was changed to XEKAM-AM. During this time, XEKAM (frequently referred to in US media as XEK-AM, though the actual XEK-AM was in Nuevo Laredo) was programmed from the United States, with studios in Hollywood, California. It shut down for a time in 1992 after failing to obtain the necessary FCC permits to originate programming for air on a foreign station. Programming on XEKAM at the time was of a news-talk format in English and included the first talk show devoted to gay issues in the area as well as San Diego Gulls hockey games; when the station was forced off the air, the Gulls went without a radio partner for a month. The loss of the station's US programming sent the station into a tailspin and off the air: employees went unpaid and the locks at the station's US offices were changed.
In 1998, the concession for XEKAM was transferred to a Radio Fórmula subsidiary.
- Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones. Infraestructura de Estaciones de Radio AM. Last modified 2017-02-27. Retrieved 2015-06-20.
- http://hdradio.com/mexico/estaciones HD Radio Guide for Mexico
- Puig, Claudia (February 7, 1992). "Station Regroups After FCC Action". The Los Angeles Times.
- Haddad, Dana (February 14, 1992). "Radio Conflict with FCC Knocks Gulls Off the Air". The Los Angeles Times.
- Trotter, Jack (March 3, 1993). "The Gulls should be seen because they aren't heard". San Diego Union-Tribune.
|This article about a radio station in Baja California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|