XO (Leathermouth album)
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 27, 2009|
|Recorded||Late 2008 in basements throughout the New York and New Jersey area|
|Producer||Steve Oyolla, Leathermouth|
XO (often typeset as XØ) is the debut album released by Leathermouth, My Chemical Romance's rhythm guitarist Frank Iero's hardcore punk side project. Although the album did not chart on the Billboard 200, it did reach No. 21 on the Top Heatseekers chart.
Leathermouth serves as lead singer Frank Iero's first project where he has written lyrics. He has used this band as a way to vent about things that make him angry, and also the issues that have been attached to his depression and anxiety problems. Many songs hit on "topics people want to forget exist" and the album as a whole suggests that "the world is going to shit, and someone has to say it." The song "5th Period Massacre" reflects Iero's feelings on school shootings and how the entertainment industry is often blamed for these events, and the song "Sunsets Are For Muggings" is about Iero's visits to the psychiatrist, and the mental illnesses in his family. Iero discusses his feelings on the theme of the album:
I would say this record is about trying to wake people up to what is happening right in front of their eyes. We are all trying our hardest to pretend bad things don't happen to good people, and that there is some higher power looking over us... but it's bullshit. Stop covering your children's eyes. Everything is fucked, and pretending it's not isn't making things any better. I'm tired of people praying for a change when it's up to them to get off their asses and make a change.— Frank Iero
Frank Iero recently said in an interview with Alternative Press, the Secret Service paid him a visit regarding his song "I Am Going to Kill the President of the United States of America." He explained that he wrote it when he was touring overseas with My Chemical Romance. He saw Anti-American rallies everyday, and explained that he wrote it from the protester's point of view. The Secret Service told him if he rereleased the song or ever played the song live again that he would be sentenced to five years in prison.
On December 2, 2008, XO was announced for release in January 2009. Also in December, the band performed a handful of shows. On January 8, 2009, "Sunsets Are for Muggings" was posted on the group's Myspace. XO was made available for streaming on January 20, before being released through Epitaph Records on January 27. On February 12, a music video was released for "Bodysnatchers 4 Ever" on the group's Myspace.
All tracks are written by Leathermouth.
|1.||"5th Period Massacre"||2:13|
|2.||"Catch Me If You Can"||2:30|
|3.||"This Song Is About Being Attacked by Monsters"||2:40|
|4.||"I Am Going to Kill the President of the United States of America"||2:58|
|5.||"Murder Was the Case That They Gave Me"||2:46|
|6.||"Sunsets Are for Muggings"||1:57|
|7.||"My Lovenote Has Gone Flat"||2:21|
|8.||"Your Friends Are Full of Shit"||2:05|
|9.||"Bodysnatchers 4 Ever"||2:10|
|iTunes bonus track|
- Frank Iero – Lead vocals
- Rob Hughes – Guitar, backing vocals
- John McGuire – bass, backing vocals
- James Dewees – drums, percussion
- Ed Auletta – Guitar
- Produced by Steve Oyolla and Leathermouth in basements throughout the New York and New Jersey area
- Mastered by George Marino at Sterling Sound NYC
- Record layout by Matt Erny, Casey Howard and Leathermouth
- "XØ Review". Alternative Press. Archived from the original on August 17, 2011.
- "XØ Review". Bombshellzine.com. Archived from the original on March 9, 2009.
- XØ Review, #1244, Kerrang!, p. 52
- Gorman, Bobby. "XØ Review". ThePunkSite.com. Archived from the original on May 24, 2011. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- Kelham, Andrew (January 20, 2009). "XØ Review". Rock Sound. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- Pearlman, Mischa (February 24, 2009). "XØ Review". Thrash Hits. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- "Artist Chart History – Leathermouth – Albums". Billboard. Archived from the original on September 28, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2009.
- Manley, Brandan (2009), "In-Store Session with Vocalist Frank Iero", Alternative Press, 247, p. 104
- "Artist Info – LeATHERMOUTH". Epitaph.com. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- Harris, Chris. "Frank Iero Says My Chemical Romance Fans Will Be 'Bummed Out' By Leathermouth". MTV. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- Pettigrew, Jason (November 2009). "The Cutting Room Floor: My Chemical Romance". Archived from the original on November 27, 2009. Retrieved November 23, 2009.
- "Epitaph details Leathermouth (My Chemical Romance) debut". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. December 2, 2008. Retrieved July 28, 2017.
- "Leathermouth post new song online". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. January 8, 2009. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "Leathermouth album streaming on Myspace". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. January 20, 2009. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- Shultz, Brian. "Epitaph Details Leathermouth (My Chemical Romance) Debut". Alternative Press. Retrieved May 11, 2011.
- "Leathermouth post new video". Alternative Press. Alternative Press Magazine, Inc. February 12, 2009. Retrieved August 1, 2017.