Bao Xishun in Stockholm 2006
|Born||1951 (age 65–66)
Inner Mongolia, China
|Height||2.36 m (7 ft 9 in)|
Bao Xishun (also known as Xi Shun; born 1951) is a herdsman from Inner Mongolia, China, recognized by Guinness World Records as one of the world's tallest living men. On September 17, 2009, Turkey's Sultan Kösen overtook Bao Xishun as the tallest living man in the world, when he was measured by Guinness World Records, standing 2.51 metres (8 ft 3 in) tall.
Bao Xishun worked at the Chifeng City local hospital for several months. Bao suffers from rheumatism. Bao Xishun claims to have been of normal height until he was sixteen years old. Bao served in the People's Liberation Army for three years. He later returned to Inner Mongolia to live with his mother. He soon became known as the world's tallest living man. In 2005 he became the world's tallest man. In December 2006, Bao Xishun was asked by veterinarians to assist them in removing shards of plastic from the stomachs of two dolphins. The dolphins had accidentally swallowed the shards, which had settled in their stomachs and caused a loss of appetite and depression. Veterinarians had failed to remove them, so Bao Xishun used his 1.06-metre-long arms to reach into the dolphins' stomachs and remove the plastic manually.
Bao Xishun married saleswoman Xia Shujuan on March 24, 2007. The Mongolian ceremony took place on July 12, 2007. Bao's son was born at a hospital in Zunhua, Hebei province October 2, 2008. Bao appeared on the eleventh episode of The Amazing Race 16 as the pitstop greeter. The episode aired on May 2, 2010.
- List of tallest people
- Robert Wadlow, tallest man in history
- Leonid Stadnyk
- Sultan Kösen, current tallest man according to Guinness Book of Records
- Yao Defen
- Chandra Bahadur Dangi, shortest person in history
- Zeng Jinlian, tallest woman in history
- "Dünyanın en uzun boylu insanı bir Kürt - Firat News Agency". firatnews.com. 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- "World's tallest man saves dolphin". www.bbc.co.uk. 2006-12-14. Archived from the original on 14 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-14.
- "World's tallest man saves choking dolphins". www.thestar.com. Archived from the original on 18 December 2006. Retrieved 2006-12-14.
- "World's tallest man gets married". www.bbc.co.uk. 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- "World's tallest man finds (shorter) other half". The New Zealand Herald. 28 March 2007. Retrieved 17 September 2011.
- "World's tallest man ties knot". AP. 2007-03-28. Archived from the original on April 7, 2007.
- "Home is where the heart is for world's tallest man". Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 2007-03-31. Retrieved 2007-03-28.
- Simon Rabinovitch (October 6, 2008). "World's tallest man becomes world's tallest dad". Reuters. Retrieved December 25, 2015.
- World’s tallest man, Bao Xishun, has married
- A photo with his bride (picture 4)
- World's tallest man meets world's shortest man
- Bao Xishun - World's tallest man
|Tallest Recognized Person
January 15, 2005 – August 7, 2007
|Tallest Recognized Person
August 20, 2008 – September 17, 2009