This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Xscape buildings are large, strikingly designed and unusually shaped buildings. They are named after the company that developed them, X-Leisure, which is now part of Land Securities. Typically they contain a real snow indoor ski slope, leisure facilities and related shops. There are currently two members of the chain, located in Central Milton Keynes and Yorkshire (both in England) and a former member (that was sold) in Braehead, Scotland.
Xscape Milton Keynes
Xscape Milton Keynes ( ) opened in 2000 and is a major feature on the skyline of Central Milton Keynes as seen from the east. The Xscape is 44 metres high, making it the second tallest building in Milton Keynes after Mellish Court in Bletchley. Xscape Milton Keynes features a 170m long real-snow ski slope, a 16-screen cinema, a number of shops and restaurants and a climbing wall. An interesting point is the two large funnels on the front of the building are sometimes mistaken for lifts or part of the cooling system; in fact they are stairs.
Xscape Yorkshire ( ) in Castleford, West Yorkshire is built in a similar style to Xscape Braehead – the many angular parts of the building (particularly when seen from behind) form a shape similar to that of Xscape Milton Keynes. Xscape Yorkshire opened in October 2003 and has a 5,500 square metres (59,202 sq ft) roof.
Xscape Yorkshire contains many shops, clubs, restaurants, and entertainment facilities including a bowling alley, multi screen cinema, laser tag, crazy golf and amusements. The cinema is one of only seven cineworlds in the UK which has D-Box motion seating. It utilises complex ventilation technology.
Xscape Braehead Renfrew
- "Xscape Building, Milton Keynes - SkyscraperPage.com". Retrieved 2 January 2009.
- FaulknerBrowns Architects – see Home, then Millenium
- "From Airkix to iFLY". iFly Indoor Skydiving. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "4DX Now At Milton Keynes". Cinewold Cinemas. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "Xscape Ski Slope & Retail Development". Caswell Engineering Services. 2014. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Xscape Yorkshire
- Xscape Milton Keynes
- Snozone – Direct link for the indoor snow slopes
- Photographs of the opening day of Xscape in 2006, Braehead near Glasgow
- UK Snowboard club article on Xscape MK
- X-Leisure company website
- Xscape project details – Clyde Waterfront Regeneration
- Review of Xscape Castleford