Yan Xuetong is the distinguished professor and the Dean of the Institute of International Relations, Tsinghua University. In 2008, he was named as one of world's Top 100 public intellectuals by the American journal Foreign Policy. He is the only political scientist listed as Most Cited Chinese Researchers by Elsevier during 2014-2017.
Distinguished Professor, 2017 till now
- WORLD PEACE FORUM
Secretary General, 2012 till now
Chief Editor, 2006 till now
- SCIENCE OF INTERNATIONAL POLITICS
Chief Editor, 2005 till now
- INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY
Dean, 2001 till now
Director, Center for Foreign Policy Studies, 1996
Research Professor, 1995
Deputy Director, Department of World Political Studies, 1993
Associate Research Professor, 1992
Assistant Research Professor, 1988
Research Assistant, 1982
- UNIVERSITY OF NATIONAL DEFENSE
Adjunct Professor 2003-2011
Adjunct Professor 1999-2001
Visiting Professor, Fall 1998
Research Fellow, Spring 1995
Research Fellow, Summer 1994
Adjunct Professor, 1993-1996
- INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
Adjunct Professor, 1993-1999
- Ancient Chinese Thought, Modern Chinese Power won the 2014 Beijing Academic Prize (Second Class).
- China’s Foreign Relations with Major Powers 1950-2005 won the 2013 China High Education Prize.
- Analysis of International Relations won the 2008 China National Elite Class Prize.
- Practical Methods of International Studies was authorized as text book by the Chinese Education Ministry in 2007.
- Analysis of China’s National Interests won the 1998 China Book Prize.
- One of world's Top 100 public intellectuals listed by Foreign Policy, 2008.
- The only political scientist listed as Most Cited Chinese Researchers by Elsevier during 2014-2017.
- A member of Consultation Committee of Ministry of Commerce of PRC, 2011.
- Vice Chairman of China Association of International Relations Studies, 2010 till now.
- Vice Chairman of China Association of American Studies, 2010 till now.
- Member, China-Japan Friendship Committee 2003-2008
- Advisor, Canadian Foreign Policy Journal, 2011
- Advisor, Asian Journal of PEACEBUILDING, 2011
- Advisor, International Political Science Review, 2010
- Advisor, Journal of Strategy and Decision-Making, 2010
- Advisor, Journal of International Security Studies, 2009
- Advisor, Journal of Contemporary Asia-Pacific Studies, 2008
- Advisor, Chinese Journal of European Studies, 2007
- Advisor, The Contemporary World, 2002
- Advisor, The Korean Journal of Defense Analysis, 1999
- Advisor, World Affairs, 1999
- Advisor, Southeast Asia Studies,1999
- Advisor, Contemporary International Relations, 1998
- Advisor, Journal of Chinese Political Science, 1996
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley; May 1992, Political Science.
- M.A. Institute of International Relations, Beijing; June 1986, International Politics.
- B.A. Heilongjiang University, Harbin, China; January 1982, English.
- Moral Realism and Strategy for China’s Rise (Social Science Academic Press, 2018)
- Beyond Keeping a Low Profile (Tianjin People Press, 2016)
- Shift of World Power: Political Leadership and Strategic Competition (Beijing University Press， 2015)
- China’s Relations with Surrounding Lesser States (Social Science Academic Press, 2015)
- Inertia of History: China and the World in Next 10 Years (China CITIC Press, 2013)
- Analysis of International Relations-Second Edition (Peking University Press, 2013)
- Toward a Stable Global System (Social Science Academic Press, 2012)
- Ancient Chinese Thought, Modern Chinese Power (Princeton University Press, 2011)
- China’s Foreign Relations with Major Powers 1950-2005 (High Education Press, 2010)
- Strategic Thinking about China’s Rise (Hunan People Press, 2010)
- Thoughts of World Leadership and Implications (Shijie Zhishi Press, 2009) Analysis of International Relations (Peking University Press, 2008) T
- The Rise of China and Its Strategy (Peking University Press, 2005)
- International Politics and China (Peking University Press, 2005)
- Practical Methods of International Studies (People Press, 2001)
- American Hegemony and China’s Security (Tianjin People Press, 2000) A
- Analysis of China’s National Interests (Tianjin People Press, 1996)
- Thoughts of World Leadership and Implications (World Affairs Press, 2009)
- Pre-Qin Chinese Thoughts on Foreign Relations (Fudan University Press, 2008)
- Calculation of International Circumstances and Taiwan Issue (Peking University Press, 2005)
- Peace and Security in East Asia (Peking University Press, 2005)
- Security Cooperation in East Asia (Peking University Press, 2004)
- China & Asia-Pacific Security (Shishi Press, 1999)
- International Environment for China’s Rise (Tianjin People Press,1998)
- Translation Contending Theories of International Relations –Fifth Edition (World Affairs Press, 2003)
- English Articles
- “Chinese Values vs Liberalism: What Ideology Will Shape the International Normative Order?”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol.11, No.1, Spring 2018.
- “Trump Can't Start a Cold War with China, Even if He Wants To”, The Washington Post, February 6, 2018.
- “Moral Realism and the Security Strategy for Rising China”, International Security Studies, Vol.3, No.2, Winter 2017.
- “China Can Thrive in the Trump Era”, The New York Times, January 24, 2017.
- “Political Leadership and Power Distribution”, Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol.9, No.1, Spring 2016.
- “Competition for Strategic Partners”, China-US Focus Digest, Vol.8, October 2015.
- “A Bipolar World Is More Likely”, China-US Focus Digest, Vol.6, April 2015.
- “Diplomacy Should Focus on Neighbors”, China Daily, January 27, 2015, p. 8.
- “From Keeping a Low Profile to Striving to Achievement”, Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol.7, No.2, Spring 2014.
- “The Bipolarization in East Asia”, Journal of Indian Research, Vol.2, No.1, Jan-Mar. 2014.
- “Let’s Not Be Friends”, Foreign Policy, June 7, 2013.
- “The Shift of the World Centre and its Impact on the Change of the International System”, East Asia: An International Quarterly, Vol. 30. No. 3, Sep. 2013.
- “Strategic Cooperation without Mutual Trust: A Path Forward for China and the US”, Asian Policy, No.15, January 2013.
- “New Values for New International Norms”, China International Studies, Vol.38, No.1, Jan/Feb 2013.
- “The Problem of Mutual Trust”, The International Herald Tribune, Nov. 15, 2012.
- “The Weakening of Unipolar Configuration”, China 3.0, Ed. Mark Leonard, (London: European Council on Foreign Relations, 2012).
- “World Peace Forum’s Responsibilities for International Security”, Foreign Affairs Journal, Autumn 2012.
- “Football Game Rather Than Boxing Match: China-US Intensifying Rivalry Does not Amount to Cold War”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol.5 No.2, Autumn 2012.
- “How China Can Defeat America”, The New York Times, Nov. 21, 2011.
- “International Leadership and Norm Evolution”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol.4 No.3, Autumn 2011.
- “How Assertive Should a Great Power Be?”, The Ney York Times, March 31, 2011.
- “The Sources of Chinese Conduct”, Project Syndicate, March 28, 2011.
- “The Instability of China-US Relations”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol.3 No.3, Autumn 2010.
- “Sino-U.S. Comparisons of Soft Power”, Contemporary International Relations, Vol. 18 No.2, Mar/Apr, 2008.
- “Xun Zi’s Thoughts on International Politics and Their Implications”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vo.2, No.1, Summer 2008.
- “The Rise of China and its Power Status”, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vo.1, No.1, Summer 2006.
- “An East Asian Security Community”, Foreign Affairs Journal, No.17, March 2004.
- “Defining Peace”, The Korean Journal of Defense Analysis, Spring 2004.
- “Decade of Peace in East Asia”, East Asia: An International Quarterly, No.4, Winter 2003.
- “Prioritizing National Security”, China Daily, March 1–2, 2003.
- “Political, Economic Ties on Different Paths”, China Daily, January 27, 2003.
- "Top 100 Public Intellectuals".
- "Yan Xuetong".
- "The Chinese Journal of International Politics ．Oxford Academic".
- "Science of International Politics （国际政治科学）".
- "CHINA INSTITUTE OF CONTEMPORARY INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS（中国国际关系学会）".
- "Introduction of Yan Xuetong （阎学通个人简介）".
- "2014 Beijing Academic Price (北京市第十三届哲学社会科学优秀成果奖评奖揭晓)".
- "Yan Xuetong".
- "List of 1998 China Book Price (第十一届"中国图书奖"获奖书目)".
- "Introduction of Association of American Studies".
- "Introduction of China Association of American Studies".
- Yan Xuetong's resumé
- Interview with Yan Xuetong by Theory Talks
|This Chinese academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|