This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dr. Yang was born in Guyuan, a village in the Ningxia Muslim Hui Autonomous Region, an area which blends Muslim culture with that of the Han Chinese. This background, combined with traumatic experiences in the Great Famine during Maozedong's Cultural Revolution, made him cognizant of distinctive patterns of health behaviors under this culture norms. In turn, this laid the foundation for the main focus of his career, tobacco control. Smoking in the People's Republic of China represents an enormous public health problem. Many Chinese universities are developing training programs for medical students to improve capacity for tobacco control advocacy. Since 2007, Dr. Yang has been directing the first program aiming at promoting all forms of tobacco control in Chinese universities. Projects comprising this program are sponsored by the Bloomberg Initiative to Reduce Tobacco Use.The first goal of the project is to conduct tobacco control advocacy capacity training among medical students and the second goal is ban smoking on university campuses nationwide. Currently, the projects covered all provinces, municipalities and autonomous regions in China, including more than 70 cities. Dr. Yang is a leader in this initiative, and produces numerous publications in major journals with many international collaborators. Several papers were cited by WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic, and other official documents. Core information of “Global Health Professions Student Survey (GHPSS) in Tobacco Control in China “was released by the United Nations.
Dr. Yang graduated from Shanxi Medicine University (Public Health) in 1982. He was appraised as an outstanding contributing scientist by the government of Jiangsu Province in 1994. Dr. Yang served as Assistant Research Scientist at the University of California, San Diego from 1998 to 2000. He is a full professor in the Department of Social Medicine at Zhejiang University.
Dr. Yang is currently the Director and full professor of Zhejiang University's Research Center for Tobacco Control and Department of Social Medicine at Zhejiang University. He was a past advisor for the World Health Organization (WHO) in delivering policy and program on tobacco control to health professions students, and served as an expert in updating management of CRDs in the WHO Global Action Plan 2013-2020. He is also a member of the expert committee and expert group of the National Association on Tobacco Control, and an external faculty affiliate at the West Virginia University's Injury Control Research Center Injury Control Research Center in the United States.
Dr. Yang was the Asian Editor for the American Journal of Health behavior American Journal of Health Behavior, and is a peer reviewer for more than 20 journals including Nicotine & Tobacco Research, Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, Collegium Antropologicum, Public Health; Health & Social Care in the Community; BMC Public Health; The Chinese Journal of Epidemiology; The Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine; and Acta Psychologica Sinica.
Available Papers and Books
- Yang, T; Li, F; Yang, X; Wu, Z; Feng, X; Wang, Y; Wang, X; Abdullah, A. S. (2008). "Smoking patterns and sociodemographic factors associated with tobacco use among Chinese rural male residents: A descriptive analysis". BMC Public Health. 8: 248. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-8-248. PMC . PMID 18644139.
- "Yang Tingzhong : Define, Explore, Discuss".
- ”WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2011, 2013” http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_report/2013/summary/en/ ; “Proposal for Inclusion of Nicotine Replacement Therapy in the WHO, Model List of Essential Medicines” ; http://www.who.int/selection_medicines/committees/expert/17/application/NRT_inclusion.pdf?ua=1
- 联合国新闻. "联合国新闻｜世卫组织：中国调查提示需强化卫生专业学生的控烟培训".
- "沧海一粟 - 个人主页".
- "Zhejiang University School of Medicine".
- "Prof Yang - staff Homepage, ZJU".
- "404 - Health Sciences Center - West Virginia University".
- "Oxford Journals - Medicine & Health - Nicotine & Tobacco Research".
- "Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology-incl. option to publish open access".
- "BMC Public Health".
- "Zhonghua Liuxingbingxue Zazhi / Chinese Journal of Epidemiology (JournalSeek)".
- "Zhonghua Yufang Yixue Zazhi / Chinese Journal of Preventive Medicine (JournalSeek)".
- http://www.biomedcentral.com/profiles/authorindex/default.asp?action=display&id=1734405857845934; Works on Tobacco control topic