This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In 1987, Economides moved to Athens to study filmmaking. After short films and documentaries, he wrote and directed his first feature film Matchbox in 2002.
His third film Knifer, which released in 2010 has won seven awards from the Hellenic Film Academy, including Best Film, Best Director and Best Screenplay. His fourth feature film, Strator, premiered in the Competition Programme of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival in 2014.
Each of his four feature films has been honored with the Greek Film Critics Association Award for Best Greek Feature Film.
In October 2016, his first theatrical production premiered at the New Stage of the National Theatre in Athens, with Economides directing his own play Sleep, Stella, Sleep. He performed as a supporting actor in several Greek films. In 2017 he had a part in Fatih Akin’s latest film, In the Fade.
- Stratos (2014), Color, 137’ 64th Berlin International Film Festival 2014 – Competition Programme LAGFF 2015: Best Feature Film Award (Orpheus Award) Cyprus Film Days 2014: Best Feature Film Award Hellenic Film Academy Awards: Best Sound, Best Original Music Score, Best Leading Actor, Best Supporting Actress Greek Association of Film Critics Award: Best Greek Film of the Year 2014 Med Film Fest in Rome 2014: Amore e Psiche (Grand Prize) European Film Awards 2014: Pre-nomination
- Knifer (2010), Black&White, 108’ LAGFF 2011: Best Feature Film Award (Orpheus Award) Cyprus Film Days 2011: Best Feature Film Award Hellenic Film Academy Awards: Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Production Design, Best Sound Greek Association of Film Critics Award: Best Greek Film of the Year 2010 PUSAN international Film Festival 2010 11th Kaohsing Film Festival New York Greek Film Festival 2011 Haifa IFF 2011 Eskisehir IFF 2011 Bildrausch Film Fest Basel 2011 Black Movie Festival 2012
- Soul Kicking (2006), Color, 117’ Official section of the Cannes International Film Festival 2006, “The International Critics’ Week" Chicago International Film Festival 2006, Pusan International Film Festival 2006, Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival 2006, Cyprus Film Days 2007, Festival Del Cinema Europeo 2007 (Lecce-Italy), Eurocine 27 2007 (Madrid)
- Matchbox (2002), Color, 81’ Thessaloniki International Film Festival 2002, Montreal World Film Festival, 2003 Pusan International Film Festival, 2003 International Film Festival of India 2003, New Delhi
- The Life You Hoped For (1995), documentary
- Smelling the Jasmine (1994), documentary
- Gradual Improvement in the Weather (1992), short
- Welcome, Night (1990), documentary
- Episode (1989), short
- Foundas, Scott (2014-02-11). "Berlin Film Review: 'Stratos'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-11-08.