Yaochu Jin was born in Wujiang, Jiangsu Province, China in 1966. He received the B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. degrees from Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China, in 1988, 1991, and 1996, respectively, and the Dr.-Ing. degree from Ruhr University Bochum , Germany, in 2001.
He is presently Alexander von Humboldt Professor for Artificial Intelligence, Chair of Nature Inspired Computing and Engineering , Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University, Germany, and Distinguished Chair in Computational Intelligence, Department of Computer Science, University of Surrey, United Kingdom. He was a "Finland Distinguished Professor" with the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland, and "Changjiang Distinguished Visiting Professor" with the Northeastern University, China. He was also a distinguished visiting scholar at the University of Science and Technology Sydney.
He was named Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in 2015 (class 2016) "for contributions to evolutionary optimization", and was selected a Member of Academia Europaea in 2021.
Prof Jin was named a Highly Cited Researcher for 2019 and 2020 by Clarivate's Web of Science group.
- "Finland Distinguished Professor: Yaochu Jin".
- "Former Members, Optimization Group, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland".
- "Changjiang Distinguished Visiting Professor".
- Bonissone, Piero (May 2016). "2016 elevated fellow". IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine. 11 (2): 5–9. doi:10.1109/MCI.2016.2532261.
- "Member of Academia Europaea: Yaochu Jin".
- "IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems, IEEE Computational Intelligence Society". cis.ieee.org. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Complex & Intelligent Systems - a SpringerOpen journal (Societies)". springer.com. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- "Publons: Yaochu Jin".