Yuri de Souza
Yuri before a game with Ponferradina in 2014
|Full name||Yuri de Souza Fonseca|
|Date of birth||8 August 1982|
|Place of birth||Maceió, Brazil|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2004||→ Gil Vicente (loan)||15||(4)|
|2004–2005||→ Estoril (loan)||19||(3)|
|2007–2008||→ Las Palmas (loan)||12||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14 January 2019|
Born in Maceió, Alagoas, Yuri arrived in Portugal still in his teens, joining F.C. Maia in the second division. His performances there attracted the attention of another club in the north, Primeira Liga's Boavista FC, for which he signed in January 2003.
However, Yuri could never impose himself at the Checquereds, going on to serve two loans in the process: he helped Gil Vicente F.C. avoid top flight relegation in his five-month spell, not being able to repeat it with G.D. Estoril Praia in the following season.
In summer 2005, Yuri moved to Iberian neighbours Spain, representing lowly Pontevedra CF. He also had a loan spell at UD Las Palmas in division two, but only appeared in 12 matches out of 42 without scoring.
Yuri signed for SD Ponferradina in 2009, going on to achieve two promotions to the second tier during his spell– to which he contributed with 26 goals combined – and eventually becoming captain. In the 2012–13 campaign he ranked third in the second division scorers' list at 21, helping his team to the seventh position.
Yuri's older brother, Igor, was also a footballer and a forward. They shared teams at Maia (where they arrived at a young age) and Pontevedra.
- La UD obtiene la cesión de Yuri (UD get Yuri loan); Canarias Ahora, 15 July 2007 (in Spanish)
- Yuri: “Muchas veces lo pienso, llevo seis años en la Ponferradina y fue la decisión correcta” (Yuri: “I often think about it, I have been with Ponferradina for six years and it was the right decision”); Info Bierzo, 3 April 2015 (in Spanish)
- Yuri: "Estamos preparados para estas diez finales" (Yuri: "We are ready for these ten finals"); La Liga, 4 April 2014 (in Spanish)
- Díaz: "Yuri es el capitán y debería ser un ejemplo para sus compañeros" (Díaz: "Yuri is the captain and he should be an example for his teammates"); Mundo Deportivo, 27 November 2015 (in Spanish)
- La Ponferradina no pierde cuando marca Yuri (Ponferradina do not lose when Yuri scores); Marca, 24 April 2014 (in Spanish)
- Yuri, "orgulloso" de liderar el Pichichi con su primo Charles (Yuri, "proud" to top Pichichi with his cousin Charles); Marca, 4 December 2012 (in Spanish)
- La ‘familia Gol’ (The ‘Goal family’); El País, 15 December 2012 (in Spanish)