Yuri Vasilyevich Prokhorov
|Yuri Vasilyevich Prokhorov
Юрий Васильевич Прохоров
15 December 1929|
Moscow, Soviet Union
|Died||16 July 2013
|Citizenship||Soviet Union, Russian|
|Institutions||Russian Academy of Sciences|
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Doctoral advisor||Andrey Nikolaevich Kolmogorov|
|Notable awards||Lenin Prize (1970)
Order of the Red Banner of Labour (1975, 1979)
Yuri Vasilyevich Prokhorov (Russian: Ю́рий Васи́льевич Про́хоров; 15 December 1929 – 16 July 2013) was a Russian mathematician, active in the field of probability theory. He was a PhD student of Andrey Kolmogorov at the Moscow State University, where he obtained his PhD in 1956.
Prokhorov became a corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences in 1966, a full member in 1972. He was a vice-president of the IMU. He received Lenin Prize in 1970, Order of the Red Banner of Labour in 1975 and 1979. He was also an editor of the Great Soviet Encyclopedia.
- Larry Shepp, "A Conversation with Yuri Vasilyevich Prokhorov", Statistical Science, Vol. 7, No. 1 (February, 1992), pp. 123–130.
- Yuri Vasilyevich Prokhorov at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Prokhorov's Biography (in Russian)
- Yuri Vasilevich Prokhorov (in Russian)
- Obituaries: Yuri Vasilyevich Prokhorov