|Native name||Заха́р Ну́химович Брон|
17 December 1947|
His students have included Vadim Repin, Gwendolyn Masin, Daniel Hope, Maxim Vengerov, Vadim Gluzman, Igor Malinovsky, Denis Goldfeld, Daishin Kashimoto, Tamaki Kawakubo, Mayuko Kamio, Mayu Kishima, Soyoung Yoon, Christoph Seybold, Sayaka Shoji, Nikolai Madoyev and David Garrett.
Bron studied with Boris Goldstein. Before he was well-known, he taught privately in Novosibirsk. Since then, he has taught at the Royal Academy of Music in London, the Conservatory of Rotterdam, the Musikhochschule Lübeck and the Reina Sofía School of Music in Madrid. In 1997, he took up a position at the Cologne Musikhochschule.
Bron has attracted controversy because of accusations that violin competitions have unduly favoured his students with awards. In February 2018, Fabio Luisi resigned as chairman of the 2018 Paganini Competition, in protest at his perceived imposition of judges such as Bron by the Italian cultural official Elisa Serafini. According to British music critic Norman Lebrecht, "long ago and far away in Siberia, [Bron] taught young Vadim Repin and Maxim Vengerov. On the back of their fame, Bron often judges competitions where his pupils come out top." In a competition that Bron founded himself, his own students won five of the six prizes.
- The Way They Play. (by Samuel Applebaum and Mark Zilberquit) Book 14. Paganinia Publication Inc., 1986, pp. 65–114
- Zakhar Bron pronounced in Russian
- "Being educated by the phenomenal Zakhar Bron is equivalent to winning the lottery", Daniel Hope: Wann darf ich klatschen, 2009, p 148
- All Things Strings: Cover Story Archived 2005-12-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- Inaugural Concert Announced Archived 2005-11-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- Kennedy Center: Biographical information for Maxim Vengerov
- Christoph Seybold, Biography
- Lebrecht, Norman (2018-06-23). "You vote for my pupil, I'll vote for yours – the truth about music competitions". The Spectator. Retrieved 2018-06-23.
- Rebecca Schmid (2015-02-01). "International Boris Goldstein Violin Competition responds to criticism". The Strad. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- Matteo Macor (2018-02-01). "Scontro sul Premio Paganini Luisi rompe con il Comune". La Repubblica. Retrieved 2018-04-14.
- Giulia Mietta (2018-02-01). "Terremoto sul premio Paganini, Fabio Luisi contro Elisa Serafini. Il maestro lascia la direzione". Genova24. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- Official website
- Zakhar Bron School of Music
- Zakhar Bron Chamber Orchestra
- Magister Musicae; Master Class Videos by Professor Zakhar Bron
|This article about a Russian classical musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a violinist or fiddler is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|