|• Total||6.88 km2 (2.66 sq mi)|
|Elevation||445 m (1,460 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||160/km2 (420/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Bözen, Densbüren, Effingen, Herznach, Hornussen, Linn, Schinznach-Dorf, Thalheim, Ueken|
Zeihen has an area, as of 2009[update], of 6.88 square kilometers (2.66 sq mi). Of this area, 3.5 km2 (1.4 sq mi) or 50.9% is used for agricultural purposes, while 2.8 km2 (1.1 sq mi) or 40.7% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.59 km2 (0.23 sq mi) or 8.6% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.01 km2 (2.5 acres) or 0.1% is either rivers or lakes and 0.01 km2 (2.5 acres) or 0.1% is unproductive land.
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 4.7% and transportation infrastructure made up 3.5%. Out of the forested land, 37.5% of the total land area is heavily forested and 3.2% is covered with orchards or small clusters of trees. Of the agricultural land, 23.5% is used for growing crops and 24.4% is pastures, while 2.9% is used for orchards or vine crops. All the water in the municipality is in rivers and streams.
The municipalities of Bözen, Effingen, Elfingen, Hornussen and Zeihen are considering a merger some time in the future into a new municipality with an as yet (as of 2010[update]) undetermined name.
Coat of arms
Zeihen has a population (as of December 2016[update]) of 1,116 As of June 2009[update], 8.5% of the population are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (1997–2007) the population has changed at a rate of 12.8%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (92.6%), with Albanian being second most common ( 4.6%) and Serbo-Croatian being third ( 0.8%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Zeihen is; 99 children or 10.3% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 164 teenagers or 17.0% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 82 people or 8.5% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 114 people or 11.8% are between 30 and 39, 205 people or 21.2% are between 40 and 49, and 130 people or 13.5% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 90 people or 9.3% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 44 people or 4.6% are between 70 and 79, there are 34 people or 3.5% who are between 80 and 89,and there are 3 people or 0.3% who are 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 36 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 111 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 148 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. As of 2000[update], there were 301 private households (homes and apartments) in the municipality, and an average of 2.8 persons per household. In 2008[update] there were 205 single family homes (or 52.8% of the total) out of a total of 388 homes and apartments. There were a total of 0 empty apartments for a 0.0% vacancy rate. As of 2007[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 9.5 new units per 1000 residents.
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the SVP which received 44.3% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the CVP (17.5%), the Green Party (10.3%) and the SP (10.1%).
In Zeihen about 76% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 73 students attending primary school, there are 47 students attending secondary school in the municipality.
The historical population is given in the following table:
As of 2007[update], Zeihen had an unemployment rate of 1.9%. As of 2005[update], there were 70 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 24 businesses involved in this sector. 44 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 8 businesses in this sector. 94 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 30 businesses in this sector.
In 2000[update] there were 427 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 312 or about 73.1% of the residents worked outside Zeihen while 63 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 178 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality. Of the working population, 16.7% used public transportation to get to work, and 57.7% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 539 or 62.5% were Roman Catholic, while 175 or 20.3% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there was 1 individual who belonged to the Christian Catholic faith.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 30 August 2017
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 14 January 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 10-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 10-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- ISOS site accessed 10-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (in German) accessed 21 January 2010