Derek Wong at 2013 Axiata Cup
|Birth name||Xi Liang Wong (黄梓良)|
|Born||13 January 1989|
|Residence||Singapore City, Singapore|
|Height||1.74 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||67 kg (148 lb)|
|Highest ranking||37 (5 March 2015)|
Xi Liang "Derek" Wong (traditional Chinese: 黃梓良) (born 13 January 1989) is a Singaporean badminton player. Wong is a two-time Olympian, who took part at the 2012 and 2016 Summer Olympics, where he was flag bearer in the latter's Parade of Nations.
2011 World Championships
Wong shocked Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat, a former Olympic champion in the second round of the World Championships. He defeated the Indonesian star 21-17, 21-14 to earn a place in the third round against Hans-Kristian Vittinghus of Denmark.
2011 Southeast Asian Games
Wong upset Vietnam's Nguyen Tien Minh, then ranked in the world's top 10, at the quarterfinals of the Sea Games. He also came agonisingly close to upsetting the eventual gold medalist, Simon Santoso, in the next round. He led in the early stages of the semifinal match before succumbing to the Indonesian in straight sets.
2012 London Olympics
Wong's Olympic debut ended after a 21–17, 21–14 loss to Jan Ø. Jørgensen in his final Group I match at London's Wembley Arena on 31 July to finish second in the three-man group. "Of course, I wanted to play more games instead of just two. But being in my first Olympics has been a huge experience, and one that I will use for my career," Wong said afterwards. He had earlier beaten Israel's Misha Zilberman 21–9, 21–15 on 29 July.
2014 Commonwealth Games
2016 Rio Olympics
|2014||Emirates Arena, Glasgow, Scotland||Kashyap Parupalli||14–21, 21–11, 19–21||Silver|
Southeast Asian Games
|2011||Istora Senayan, Jakarta, Indonesia||Simon Santoso||17–21, 12–21||Bronze|
BWF International Challenge/Series
|2015||Bahrain International Challenge||Sameer Verma||14–21, 10–21||Runner-up|
|2013||Singapore International||Lin Yu-hsien||21–18, 21–14||Winner|
|2012||Vietnam International||Wisnu Yuli Prasetyo||17–21, 22–20, 21–10||Winner|
|2011||White Nights||Hsu Jen-hao||18–21, 21–14, 12–21||Runner-up|
|2011||Iran Fajr International||Tommy Sugiarto||17–21, 21–18, 11–21||Runner-up|
|2011||Maldives International||Ashton Chen|| Jurgen Koch
- "Derek Wong". Singapore National Olympic Council. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Shuttler Derek Wong at a career crossroads". The New Paper. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Team Singapore's flagbearer hopes possible Olympics finale is his best effort". Today. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Commonwealth Games: Shuttler Derek Wong lands silver in men's singles". The Straits Times. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- "Rio 2016". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Zi Liang Derek WONG at BWF.tournamentsoftware.com
- Derek Wong at Glasgow 2014
- Zi Liang "Derek" Wong at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
- Derek Wong at the International Olympic Committee
| Flagbearer for Singapore
Rio de Janeiro 2016