1618 in literature
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in literature (table)|
|... 1608 . 1609 . 1610 . 1611 . 1612 . 1613 . 1614 ...
1615 1616 1617 -1618- 1619 1620 1621
... 1622 . 1623 . 1624 . 1625 . 1626 . 1627 . 1628 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
The year 1618 in literature involved some significant events.
- January - Lady Hay and eight other Court ladies plan and rehearse a Ladies' Masque or Masque for Ladies, intended for a Twelfth Night performance; but the show is cancelled a few days prior to the holiday, either by King James or Queen Anne.
- January 4 - Sir Francis Bacon is appointed Lord Chancellor by King James I of England.
- April 6 (Easter Monday) - The King's Men perform Twelfth Night at Court.
- April 7 - The King's Men perform The Winter's Tale at court.
- July - Ben Jonson sets out to walk to Scotland.
- William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley - Certain Precepts or Directions, For the Well-ordering and Carriage of a Man's Life
- Renold Elstracke - Braziliologia
- Vicente Espinel - Relaciones de la vida del escudero Marcos de Obregón
- Robert Fludd - De Musica Mundana
- Michael Maier - Atalanta Fugiens
- Themis aurea
- Daniel Mögling - Speculum Sophicum Rhodo-Stauroticum
- Friedrich Nausea -A Treatise of Blazing Stars in General
- Edmund Reeve - A Heptaglottology, that is A Treatise Concerning Seven Languages, to wit the Hebrew, Greek, Chaldean, Latin, Arabic, Syriac, Talmudicorabbinical
- Angelus Sala - Opiologia, or A Treatise Concerning the Nature, Properties, True Preparation and Safe Use and Administration of Opium
- Arthur Saul - The Famous Game of Chess-Play
- John Selden - History of Tythes
- Anonymous - The Tragedy of Amurath
- Jakob Ayrer (died 1605) - Opus Theatricum published
- Guillén de Castro y Bellvis - Comedias, part 1
- Lope de Vega
- La moza de cántaro ("The pitcher girls")
- El rey don Pedro en Madrid
- Nathan Field - Amends for Ladies published
- John Fletcher - The Loyal Subject
- Peter Heylin - Theomachia (in Latin)
- Barten Holyday - Technogamia
- Ben Jonson - masques
- Pleasure Reconciled to Virtue
- For the Honour of Wales
Main article: 1618 in poetry
- Jacob Cats - Emblemata
- Juan Martínez de Jáuregui y Aguilar - Rimas
- John Taylor - The Pennylesse Pilgrimage
- March 23 - Ferrante Pallavicino, satirist (died 1644)
- April - Agustín Moreto y Cavana, dramatist (died 1661)
- date unknown
- probable - Jacques Chausson, French writer involved in a notorious criminal case (died 1661)
- July - John Davies of Hereford, poet (born c.1565)
- July 26 - Martinus Smiglecius, Polish Jesuit philosopher (born 1563)
- August 23 - Gerbrand Adriaensz Bredero, poet (born 1585)
- September 28 - Joshua Sylvester, poet (born 1563)
- October 29 - Sir Walter Raleigh, adventurer and author (executed) (born c.1553)
- date unknown
- probable - Bento Teixeira, Portuguese author (born 1560)