98.4 Capital FM
|Repeaters||93.0 Western Kenya
98.4 Capital FM (or simply Capital FM) is a Kenyan urban music radio station. Its offices are situated on the 19th floor of Lonrho House, along Standard Street in Nairobi's central business district. It is owned by businessman Chris Kirubi.
Established in 1996, Capital FM plays a mixture of hip hop, RnB, rock, neo soul, new jack swing, jazz, techno, dance and Kenyan music. It has firmly positioned itself as the station of choice among the upper- and middle classes of Kenyan society.
The brain behind the Capital FM Nairobi's early success was Linda Holt, its first managing director. She's now the CEO of Red Sky, an advertising agency. She famously fell out with Caroline Mutoko, the presenter accusing her of "limiting her potential" and leaving in a huff for Kiss 100.
Capital FM's Talent Search shows exposed the likes of Nameless to Kenya.98.4 Capital FM was a real brand during the Linda Holt days and spared no effort in staying true and tuned in to its brand.
Capital FM now caters to Mombasa, Western Kenya, as well as the international community, via its new website. It was the second FM station to be opened after 101.9 Metro FM shortly after the liberalisation of Kenyan airwaves, and although several other FM stations have continued to crop up, catering to all tastes, 98.4 Capital FM continues to be a popular station especially among the middle-class and upper-class markets. The presenters are large, engaging personalities who play a mixture of Hip Hop, RnB, Rock, Neo Soul, New Jack Swing, World Music, Jazz, Techno and Dance music, transcending gender, all age groups, backgrounds and cultural boundaries (see the Show Schedule below.) Capital FM was the first ever Kenyan station to play Rock music- and has continuously been dubbed- the home and only home of the best rock music.
Due to its longevity in the market, Capital FM has the highest advertising revenue among FM radio stations in the country.
Many of Kenya's biggest radio presenters all began at Capital FM – which has earned it the slogan – the home of nurturing radio talent. These include:
- Phil Matthews- head of The radio academy
- Sean Cardovillis – now working in Seychelles
- Jimmi Gathu – lead breakfast TV presenter at K24
- Caroline Mutoko -Marketing Manager at Kiss FM
- Zain Verjee – Anchor now with CNN
- Jo Thoernes – breakfast presenter in the UK
- Patricia Amira – of the Patricia show at KBC
- Alex Belfield – a radio DJ from the UK
- Fareed Khimani-Director at Nusu-Nusu Productions Limited, Executive Producer of MNET's Mashriki Mix Magazine show. and a radio presenter at 105.5 X fm Nairobi
- Seanice Kacungira- a businesswoman in Kampala, Uganda
- Eve D'Souza
- Gaetano Kagwa-a Ugandan personality who gained fame due to his participation in the Big Brother Africa competition
- Nini Wacera
- Italia Masiero
- Preety aka Herpreet Jaswal
- dj.Dr.Vey represent house music in kenya
.The biggest morning show was hosted by Fareed Khimani and Seanice Kacungira. From 2006–2009, these two enjoyed a large share of the market.
In November 2010, Eve D'Souza and her breakfast show co-host Gaetano Kagwa resigned from the station. The two were brought in to help revive the station's plunging ratings in the prime time show after the exit of Fareed and Seanice. Gaetano failed to gel with the Kenyan audience. As for Eve, she felt it was time to spread her wings after being with the station for 10 years
Capital Digital Media (CDM)
Capital Digital Media is a website which offers live radio streaming from 98.4 Capital FM, blogs, live chat, News and more.