|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|EP by Erasure|
|Released||1 June 1992 (UK)
30 June 1992 (US)
|Erasure singles chronology|
Abba-esque is an EP by Erasure. It scored their first number one on the UK singles chart with the release in 1992. Always big fans of the Swedish quartet ABBA, performing various songs in concert for years, Erasure (Vince Clarke and Andy Bell) released this four-song covers EP, which was originally intended as a full album.
Many ABBA fans credit this EP release as a major catalyst for a revival of ABBA's music in the 1990s. The greatest hits album ABBA Gold would be released by the end of the summer, and the coming years saw a heavy emphasis on ABBA music in the Australian motion pictures Muriel's Wedding and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. By the decade's end, the musical Mamma Mia! had opened in the West End.
At the time, EPs were eligible for the singles chart in the UK. After peaking at number two twice (with "Sometimes" and Crackers International), Erasure hit number one with this release and it remained there for five weeks. In Germany the EP climbed to number two. In the U.S., where EPs chart on the Billboard 200, Abba-esque peaked at number eighty-five. Although never officially released as a single, the song "Take a Chance on Me" received significant radio play in the U.S. At the time, Billboard Hot 100 policy prevented songs not released as singles from entering the chart, although the track did hit number fifty-one on the Hot 100 Airplay chart. In Sweden the EP peaked at number 1 staying there for six consecutive weeks.
The release of the Abba-esque EP in due course precipitated the release of a similar EP, Erasure-ish, by ABBA tribute band Björn Again, which featured two Erasure tracks ("A Little Respect" and "Stop!") performed in the style of ABBA as an answer record.
The Abba-esque remix EP was reissued by Mute on 10 August 2009as a digital download, catalogue number LiMute144.
- "Lay All Your Love on Me" (B. Andersson / B. Ulvaeus) - 4:45
- "SOS" (S. Anderson / B. Andersson/B. Ulvaeus) - 3:49
- "Take a Chance on Me" (B. Andersson / B. Ulvaeus) - 3:43
- "Voulez-Vous" (B. Andersson / B. Ulvaeus) - 5:35
|iTunes Store bonus track|
|5.||"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!"||3:55|
Abba-esque – The Remixes
- "Voulez-Vous" (Brain Stem Death Test Mix) (remixed by Fortran 5)
- "Lay All Your Love on Me" (No Panties Mix) (remixed by Fortran 5)
- "Take a Chance on Me" (Take a Trance on Me Mix) (remixed by Philip Kelsey)
- "SOS" (Perimeter Mix) (remix by Chris & Cosey)
|Australian Singles Chart||13|
|Austrian Singles Chart||1|
|Canadian Singles Chart||38|
|Belgium Singles Chart (Vl)||4|
|Dutch Singles Chart||4|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||1|
|German Singles Chart||2|
|Irish Singles Chart||1|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||42|
|Swedish Singles Chart||1|
|Swiss Singles Chart||3|
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|US Billboard 200||85|
|US Dance/Club Play Singles||10|
- "Erasure Releases/Other". Erasure the Official Website. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Steffen Hung. "Australian charts portal". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Steffen Hung (2010-12-30). "Austria Top 40 - Hitparade Österreich". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Welcome to the LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES CANADA website | Bienvenue au site Web BIBLIOTHÈQUE ET ARCHIVES CANADA". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Steffen Hung. "Dutch charts portal". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Nyman, Jake (2005). Suomi soi 4: Suuri suomalainen listakirja (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 951-31-2503-3.
- musicline.de / PhonoNet GmbH. "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Jaclyn Ward - Fireball Media Ltd. - http://www.fireballmedia.ie (1962-10-01). "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Irishcharts.ie. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Steffen Hung. "New Zealand charts portal". charts.org.nz. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Steffen Hung. "Swedish Charts Portal". swedishcharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- Steffen Hung. "Die Offizielle Schweizer Hitparade und Music Community". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "UK Singles & Albums Chart Archive". Chart Stats. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Music News, Reviews, Articles, Information, News Online & Free Music". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on 29 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
"Please Don't Go" by KWS
|UK number one single
7 June 1992 for 5 weeks
"Ain't No Doubt" by Jimmy Nail