Field maintenance on a Cessna 172 being conducted from a van used to carry tools and parts
In Canada, maintenance includes the installation or removal of a component from an aircraft or aircraft subassembly, but does not include:
- Elementary work, such as removing and replacing tires, inspection plates, spark plugs, checking cylinder compression etc., on small privately operated aircraft ; or removal and replacement of fuses, light bulbs etc., on transport category aircraft .
- Servicing, such as refueling, washing windows.
- Any work done on an aircraft or aircraft component as part of the manufacturing process, prior to issue of a certificate of airworthiness or other certification document.
Aircraft maintenance is highly regulated. There are various airworthiness authorities around the world. The major airworthiness authorities include:
- Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil (ANAC) Brazil
- Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) China
- Civil Aviation Authority (United Kingdom) (CAA)
- Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Australia
- Directorate General of Civil Aviation (India) (DGCA) India
- European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Europe
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) United States
- Transport Canada (TC) Canada
At the completion of any maintenance task a person authorized by the national airworthiness authority signs a release stating that maintenance has been performed in accordance with the applicable airworthiness requirements. In the case of a certified aircraft this may be an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer or Aircraft Maintenance Technician, while for amateur-built aircraft this may be the owner or builder of the aircraft.
- Aircraft maintenance checks
- Aircraft maintenance engineer
- Aircraft Maintenance Technician
- Line-replaceable unit
- Maintenance Resource Management
- Maintenance, repair, and operations
- Professional Aviation Maintenance Association
- Shop-replaceable unit
- Transport Canada (May 2012). "Canadian Aviation Regulations 2008-1, Part I - General Provisions, Subpart 1 - Interpretation". Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Transport Canada (December 2011). "Canadian Aviation Regulations 2008-1, Part VI - General Operating and Flight Rules, Standard 625 APPENDIX A - ELEMENTARY WORK". Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Transport Canada (March 2002). "Canadian Aviation Regulations 2008-1, Part V - Airworthiness, Standard 593 - Airworthiness Directives". Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Transport Canada (June 2003). "Canadian Aviation Regulations 2008-1, Part V - Airworthiness , Subpart 71 - Aircraft Maintenance Requirements, Maintenance Release". Retrieved 9 December 2012.