Albert Stanburrough Cook
Albert Stanburrough Cook (March 6, 1853 – September 1, 1927) was an American scholar and philologist.
Cook was born in Montville, New Jersey. He graduated from Rutgers College in 1872 and taught there and at Freehold Academy before studying at Göttingen and Leipzig from 1877 to 1878. From 1879 to 1881 he spent time in London, studied under Sievers at Jena, and was an associate in English at Johns Hopkins University.
Cook became a professor of English in the University of California in 1882 and professor of English language and literature at Yale University in 1889. He re-organized the teaching of English in the state of California and edited many texts for reading in secondary schools; but he is best known for his work in Old English and in poetics. He translated, edited, and revised Sievers's Old English Grammar (1885), edited Judith (1888), The Christ of Cynewulf (1900), Asser's Life of King Alfred (1905), and The Dream of the Rood (1905), and prepared A First Book in Old English Grammar (1894). He also edited, with annotations, Sidney's Defense of Poesie (1890); Shelley's Defense of Poetry (1891); Newman's Poetry (1891); Addison's Criticisms on Paradise Lost (1892); The Art of Poetry (1892), being the essays of Horace, Vida and Boileau; and Leigh Hunt's What is Poetry (1893); and published Higher Study of English (1906).
He died on September 1, 1927, in New Haven, Connecticut.
- A First Book in Old English (1894)
- The Phonological Investigation of Old English (1889)
- Exercises in Old English (1899)
- Pen Sketches and Reminiscences of Sixty Years (1901)
- The Dream of the Rood: an Old English Poem attributed to Cynewulf, edited by Cook (1905)
- Select Translations from Old English Prose (1908)
- A concordance to Beowulf (1911)
- The Old English Physiologus (1921)
- Staff. "PROF. ALBERT S. COOK OF YALE DEAD AT 74; Occupied Chair of English at the University for Thirty-two Years.", The New York Times, September 2, 1927. Accessed February 23, 2011.
- National Cyclopaedia of American biography, vol. 9, New York: James T. White, 1899, p. 167.
- Chisholm 1911.
- Works by Albert Stanburrough Cook at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Albert Stanburrough Cook in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.