Alberta Arts District (Portland, Oregon)
Coordinates: Alberta Arts District is a neighborhood in Portland, Oregon, United States. The neighborhood centers on Alberta Street, a thoroughfare stretching through the North and Northeast sections of the city and crossing Interstate 5.
Alberta Street has always been one of the main hubs of the Northeast area in Portland. The street was once the essence of the culture contained by the primarily urban and African-American community. Since the gentrification in the Northeast area, Alberta Street is the heart of an arts, restaurant, and shopping district approximately 20 blocks long. The area around Alberta is becoming very popular with yuppies as well as hipsters, bohemians, hippies and other groups associated with the counterculture. Alberta Street accommodations available to travelers range from hostels to five-star hotels.
On the last Thursday of every month there is an art walk that takes place in galleries and shops during the winter months, and outdoors during warmer weather, with tables set up by local artisans and traveling merchants along the sidewalk. Street performers and food carts also participate in the street fair.
In years past, the Clown House was an integral part of the carnival-like atmosphere of Last Thursday and other neighborhood related events. The Clown House has since disbanded to work on separate projects, but Rabbit, Rev. Caffeine Jones, and others are still in the community.
Alberta street is home to the Northwestern Electric Company—Alberta Substation.
The street is served by TriMet Line 72 from Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd to NE 30th Ave. TriMet lines 6, 8, 17, and 70 cross Alberta Street at Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., NE 15th, NE 27th and NE 33rd Avenues, respectively. Bicycle boulevards parallel NE Alberta Street on NE Going St. and NE Skidmore St.
In Popular Culture
- “Racial Shift in a Progressive City Spurs Talks”. The New York Times, 2005-5-29. Retrieved on 2008-8-18
- Lonely Planet (13 September 2014). "Top 10 reasons to visit Portland, Oregon - Lonely Planet". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- Lonely Planet (13 September 2014). "Portland hotels and hostels - Lonely Planet". Lonely Planet. Retrieved 13 September 2014.
- "Q & A with A.A. Munson, aka Dingo Dizmal". Portland Tribune, 2007-6-22. Retrieved on 2008-8-19
- “Clown House of Portland, Oregon ”. clownlink.com, 2007-6-24. Retrieved on 2008-8-19
- "Crash Landing". Portland Tribune, 2008-2-5. Retrieved on 2008-8-19
- "Watch John Averill talk about March Fourth’s new studio album". OregonMusicNews.com 2011-8-11. Retrieved on 2012-2-28
- Alberta Main Street
- Alberta Street Fair
- Your Guide to the Alberta Arts
- Art about gentrification on Alberta
- Friends of Last Thursday