||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
Alborosie performing at Chiemsee Reggae Summer 2013
|Birth name||Alberto D'Ascola|
4 July 1977 |
Marsala, Sicily, Italy
|Origin||Marsala, Sicily, Italy|
|Occupations||Singer-songwriter, record producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, drums, guitar, keyboard, bass|
|Years active||1993 – present|
|Associated acts||Reggae National Tickets, Ky-Mani Marley, Gentleman, The Abyssinians|
Born and raised in Marsala, Sicily, Italy, but now residing in Kingston, Jamaica, he is a multi-instrumentalist, being proficient in guitar, bass, drums and keyboard. His musical career began in the Italian reggae band Reggae National Tickets, from Bergamo city, when he was 15 years old in 1993, in which he was known as Stena.
In 2001 Alborosie decided to try a solo career. He moved to Jamaica to be close to reggae music's roots and Rastafari culture. There, he started working as a sound engineer and producer. He has also worked with artists like Gentleman and Ky-Mani Marley. His first solo album was called Soul Pirate. In the summer of 2009 he released his second album which was called "Escape from Babylon. In August 2008 Alborosie played at the Uppsala Reggae Festival.
The name 'Alborosie' comes from a name he was given in his early years in Jamaica. "Borosie was what they used to call me. Let me put it like this. My early experience in Jamaica was… not nice. Borosie was a name they used to call me and it have a negative meaning. So I said “I'm gonna use this name and mash up the place turn a negative into a positive thing!". Basically my name is Albert so I add “Al” – Al-borosie. But I’m not gonna tell you what borosie mean!"
Alborosie's hits include "Rastafari Anthem", "Kingston Town", and "Call Up Jah". Alborosie recently started his own record label, Forward Recordings. He has given concerts all round the world, including most of Europe and Jamaica.
In 2014, Greensleeves Revords released Specialist Presents Alborosie & Friends, a collection of collaborations with other artists. The album entered the Billboard Top Reggae Albums chart at number 7.
Alberto D'Ascola was born on 4 July 1977 in Marsala, Sicily, Italy. He is a member of the Rastafari movement. His father is a retired policeman and his mother was a housewife. D'Ascola developed an interest in reggae music and joined the band Reggae National Tickets in 1993 at 15 years old.
- Soul Pirate (2008), Forward Recordings
- Soul Pirate: European Tour 2008 Limited Edition (2008)
- Escape From Babylon (2009), Greensleeves
- Escape From Babylon to the Kingdom of Zion (2010), VP
- Dub Clash (2010)
- Specialist & Friends (2010)
- 2 Times Revolution (2011), Greensleeves
- Sound the System (2013), VP
- Dub the System (2013), VP
- Specialist Presents Alborosie & Friends (2014), Greensleeves
Awards and nominations
|2011||2011 MOBO Awards||Best reggae act||Won|
- "Alborosie marks journey from Sicily to Kingston Town". The Jamaica Observer. 10 June 2007. Archived from the original on 30 June 2008. Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- Moore, Malcolm (19 January 2008). "Sicilian reggae performer wows Jamaica". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- "Första artisterna till Reggaefestivalen klara". Upsala Nya Tidning. 3 March 2008. Retrieved 24 October 2008.
- "Interview : Alborosie". unitedreggae.com. 28 February 2008.
- "MOBO 2011 2011".
- "Alborosie debuts on Billboard", Jamaica Observer, 4 July 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014
- "Alborosie Interview". reggaenews.de. 22 June 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alborosie.|