Alex Wood (baseball)
|Atlanta Braves – No. 40|
January 12, 1991 |
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Bats: Right||Throws: Left|
|May 30, 2013 for the Atlanta Braves|
(through August 12, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.10|
Robert Alexander Wood (born January 12, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Atlanta Braves of Major League Baseball. Before playing professional baseball, Wood played for his high school team at Ardrey Kell High School and college baseball for the Georgia Bulldogs.
Wood attended Ardrey Kell High School in Charlotte, North Carolina. Playing for the school's baseball team, he was named the North Carolina Class 4A player of the year in 2009. He enrolled at the University of Georgia, where he played college baseball for the Georgia Bulldogs baseball team.
The Atlanta Braves selected Wood in the second round of the 2012 MLB Draft. He played for the Rome Braves of the Class A South Atlantic League in 2012, where he pitched in 13 games, going 4-3 with a 2.22 earned run average (ERA) and 52 strikeouts. He began the 2013 season with the Mississippi Braves of the Class AA Southern League. After pitching in ten games the first two months of the season and posting an ERA of 1.26, the Braves promoted him to the major leagues on May 30. That night, in his major league debut, he pitched the ninth inning against the Toronto Blue Jays. Wood made his first major league start on June 18, 2013 where he allowed one run and earned his first loss. He was optioned to the Triple-A Gwinnett Braves on July 13, and was recalled on July 25.
- "Charlotte native makes MLB debut with Atlanta Braves". WCNC-TV. May 31, 2013. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "HIGH SCHOOL NOTEBOOK, ARDREY KELL'S WOOD, SOUTH STANLY'S POPLIN HONORED". Charlotte Observer. July 14, 2009. p. 2C. Retrieved September 27, 2013. (subscription required)
- Bowman, Mark (May 24, 2013). "Prospect Alex Wood making impression on Braves | braves.com: News". Atlanta.braves.mlb.com. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Curtright, Guy (April 16, 2013). "SL notes: Wood struts 'nasty' stuff | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Rodgers, Carroll (February 29, 2012). "Braves promote left-hander Alex Wood". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "New York Mets (26-40) 4, Atlanta Braves (42-29) 3 - June 18, 2013". MLB.com.. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "Alex Wood News: Wood was optioned to Triple-A Gwinnett on Saturday.". The Score. July 14, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "Braves recall Wood to take Hudson's roster spot". Fox News. July 25, 2013. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- Cicchella, Joel (September 5, 2013). "Getting to Know The Braves’ Alex Wood: A Scouting Report & Outlook". Roto Professor. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Rogers, Carroll (May 30, 2013). "Braves promote left-hander Alex Wood". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Jones, Landon (December 19, 2013). "Alex Wood and small samples". Beyondd the Boxscore. SBNation. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- "Alex Wood Pitch Repertoire At-A-Glance". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved March 15, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Alex Wood on Twitter