List of Pretty Little Liars characters
The following is a list of characters from the ABC Family teen drama Pretty Little Liars, which is based on the series of young adult novels by Sara Shepard. The series follows the lives of four girls — Spencer, Hanna, Aria, and Emily — whose clique part after the disappearance of their leader, Alison. Later they begin receiving various messages from someone using the name "A" who threatens to expose their secrets — including long-hidden ones they thought only Alison knew.
- 1 Characters
- 2 Main characters
- 3 Acquaintances of Aria Montgomery
- 4 Acquaintances of Spencer Hastings
- 5 Acquaintances of Hanna Marin
- 6 Acquaintances of Emily Fields
- 7 Acquaintances of Alison DiLaurentis
- 8 Other characters
- 9 See also
- 10 References
|Troian Bellisario||Spencer Hastings||83||Main|
|Ashley Benson||Hanna Marin||83||Main|
|Tyler Blackburn||Caleb Rivers||48||Recurring||Main|
|Holly Marie Combs||Ella Montgomery||50||Main||Recurring||TBA|
|Lucy Hale||Aria Montgomery||83||Main|
|Ian Harding||Ezra Fitz||65||Main|
|Bianca Lawson||Maya St. Germain||22||Main||Recurring|
|Laura Leighton||Ashley Marin||62||Main||TBA|
|Chad Lowe||Byron Montgomery||42||Main||Recurring||TBA|
|Shay Mitchell||Emily Fields||83||Main|
|Janel Parrish||Mona Vanderwaal||50||Recurring||Main|
|Sasha Pieterse||Alison DiLaurentis||49||Main|
|Keegan Allen||Toby Cavanaugh||54||Recurring|
|Tammin Sursok||Jenna Marshall||38||Recurring|
|Torrey DeVitto||Melissa Hastings||31||Recurring|
|Nia Peeples||Pam Fields||29||Recurring||TBA|
|Lindsey Shaw||Paige McCullers||29||Recurring||Guest||Recurring|
|Lesley Fera||Veronica Hastings||28||Recurring||TBA|
|Yani Gellman||Garrett Reynolds||23||Recurring|
|Brendan Robinson||Lucas Gottesman||23||Recurring||N/A|
|Drew Van Acker||Jason DiLaurentis||24||Guest||Recurring||Guest|
|Bryce Johnson||Darren Wilden||22||Recurring||Guest|
|Julian Morris||Wren Kingston||21||Recurring||Guest|
|Brant Daugherty||Noel Kahn||20||Recurring||Guest|
|Cody Allen Christian||Mike Montgomery||18||Recurring||Recurring|
|Ryan Merriman||Ian Thomas||17||Recurring|
|Nolan North||Peter Hastings||14||Recurring||Guest|
|Roark Critchlow||Tom Marin||11||Guest||Recurring||Guest|
|Chuck Hittinger||Sean Ackard||9||Recurring|
|Eric Steinberg||Wayne Fields||9||Recurring||Guest|
|Vanessa Ray||Cece Drake||10||Recurring|
Aria Montgomery (Lucy Hale) (Season 1 - present) is considered the "alternative" one of the group. She is more outgoing in fashion and what she sees as acceptable behavior. She moves back to Rosewood with her family after living in Iceland for a year. Before Alison's death, she and Alison discovered that Aria's father was having an affair with one of his former students, Meredith, who became his coworker at Hollis College. Alison encourages Aria to tell her mother the truth, but instead, Aria reluctantly agrees to keep her father's secret. On top of that, she finds herself involved with her high school English teacher, Ezra Fitz, after making out with him in a pub bathroom and discovering he was her English teacher on the first day of school. Aria is dating Noel, however, she kissed Ezra while meeting each other to talk.
Spencer Hastings (Troian Bellisario) (Season 1 - present) is considered the "de facto leader" of the group. Intelligent and extremely ambitious, she strives for perfection in everything she does in an attempt to live up to the high expectations of her parents. Spencer's biggest rival is her older sister, Melissa, and the two are constantly fighting over something. Their relationship is often strained by the fact that Spencer has a habit of crushing on Melissa's boyfriends (first Ian, then Wren). Spencer feels alone at the beginning of the first season, falling for Wren, who was actually Melissa's fiancé. She is dating Toby Cavanaugh.
Hanna Marin (Ashley Benson) (Season 1 - present) is the diva and it-girl of the group, having taken Alison's place as the most popular girl at Rosewood High. Prior to Alison's death, Hanna was a bulimic girl who Alison frequently mocked for being overweight. After her parents divorced, Hanna permanently lives with her mother. She feels betrayed by her father, who has remarried, and does not get along well with his new wife and daughter, Kate. When Hanna's mother falls upon financial hardship, she steals thousands of dollars from the bank she works at, which Hanna is forced to keep a secret. She dates Caleb Rivers until Season 4, when Tyler Blackburn is moved over to the spin-off series Ravenswood. Hanna makes appearances in Ravenswood and hints that she has a physic element to herself that she doesn't realize.
Emily Fields (Shay Mitchell) (Season 1 - present) is the "jock" of the group. A highly competitive swimmer, she is considered the star of Rosewood's swim team. She is shown as a sweet and shy character. For a short time Emily lives with Hanna, after her mother moves to Texas to live with Emily's father, who is stationed in Fort Hood. She begins to question her sexuality because of her feeling for Alison, but later accepts the fact that she is a lesbian and starts to date girls, including Maya, Samara, and Paige.
Alison DiLaurentis (Sasha Pieterse) (Season 1 - present) Ambitious, beautiful, talented, smart, and popular, boys wanted her and girls admired her. She was the "Queen Bee" of Rosewood and the diva of her clique. Ruling the group with an iron fist, the vicious but charismatic Alison went missing during a slumber party at the end of summer, breaking apart the glue that held the clique together. When Aria, Hanna, Spencer, and Emily began receiving threatening messages from "A" a year after Ali went missing, they believe that she's alive and is playing a trick on them. However, shortly after the appearance of "A", Alison's body is found buried in the backyard of the former DiLaurentis house, hidden under the gazebo (which had been under construction at the time of her disappearance). The discovery of her body launches a murder investigation. Spencer had thought that Ali was killed with a field hockey stick, but the girls later learn (via police files) that Alison was hit in the head with a shovel. However, this wasn't what had immediately killed her. She was buried alive and suffocated to death, as dirt was found in her lungs. In the Season 3 finale, it appears that Alison may not be dead after all, when the girls think they see Alison as Red Coat- the leader of the "A" team. In the Season 4 Summer Finale, its revealed Mrs. Grunwald pulled Alison out of the ground, meaning she did not die that night. The girls find out there are two Red Coats- one is CeCe Drake who is working for "A". They search for the other one, and she appears to be helping the liars. They eventually catch her, and it is indeed Alison. She faked her death because someone is after her.
"A" is the main antagonist of the series. "A" is actually a "team" of people working in tandem against The Liars, stalking and torturing them in relentless, and creative ways. "A" also threatens the girls friends, parents, etc.
- Big A: In Season 4, the girls discover that Red Coat not the real A, but is under control of someone. The girls currently believe this unknown person to be Ezra Fitz, however, it was confirmed that Big A is a female.
- Mona Vanderwaal: Revealed in the second season finale, Mona was the primary "A" stalker during the first two seasons. She was the first and original "A", but someone stole the game from her. She also stalked Alison before her disappearance. She is kicked off the "A" team towards the end of Season 3.
- Toby Cavanaugh: Revealed in the mid-season finale of the third season, he appears to take orders from Mona. In the Season 3 finale, he reveals to Spencer he joined to protect her and find out about Red Coat. Kicked off in season 3 finale.
- Spencer Hastings: Revealed in the third season she joined the A Team in order to find out information as a double agent and also so she can reconnect with and discover why Toby has joined. Kicked off in Season 3 finale.
- Cece Drake: Revealed in "Bring Down The Hoe" as being on the 'A' Team. She is in the A team because she blames the liars for getting her kicked out of school. Also revealed to be Red Coat, but wasn't the leader. She was simply a decoy for the real leader "Big A".
- New "A": The New "A" is seen at the end of the episodes in Season 4. Nothing is known about this person.
- The Lady in Black: The Lady in Black first appeared in the Season 4 premiere episode. She is a slim female, and she attended Wilden's funeral. She wore a black dress and black veil. She is later shown in the A-Team lair, and its revealed she is wearing a burnt-up Alison mask, meaning she has a connection to the fire at the lodge.
- Lucas Gottesman: Lucas is actually a kind guy, but he was somehow threatened by Mona to help "A".
- Darren Wilden: A cop, he appears to have been blackmailed by Red Coat (CeCe). He was the Queen of Hearts on the Halloween train, and tried to kill Aria and Spencer. He is killed, and Ashley Marin is framed for it, but now its shown CeCe may have killed him.
- Melissa Hastings: Older sister of Spencer, she appears to have been blackmailed by Wilden. She was blackmailed by "A" to dress as the Black Swan at the masquerade ball to lure the girls away from the real "A". She also was blackmailed on the Halloween train into trying to kill Aria.
Acquaintances of Aria Montgomery
The following characters are all family members and acquaintances of Aria Montgomery, one of the protagonists of the series.
- Byron Montgomery (Chad Lowe) (Season 1 - 4) is Aria's father and a history professor at Hollis College. He asked Aria to keep his affair with a student, Meredith, a secret after Aria witnessed them kissing. Regretting the affair and wanting them to be a family again, Byron moves the family to Iceland for a year as a sabbatical. The relationship between Byron and Ella becomes strained after A sends her a letter revealing Byron's affair. After spending some time apart, Ella and Byron slowly begin to rebuild their relationship. When Mike becomes depressed, Byron reveals that his brother Scott, who committed suicide, also suffered from mental illness; Byron feels guilty for not doing anything to help his brother. Byron finds out that Ezra is involved in a relationship with Aria after they tell him and Ella and is furious about it. In an effort to get Ezra away from Aria, Byron recommends him for a job in New Orleans. He also plots to send Aria to an all girls boarding school in Vermont. When Aria threatens to reveal his affair to his boss, however, he backs off from sending her to boarding school but gets Ezra fired from Hollis. In season 3, Byron and Ella have divorced and Ella has moved out of the house. Byron starts seeing Meredith again. He informs Aria that Meredith got a job at the same high school that Aria attends and Ella teaches. In the Halloween episode, it is revealed by Garrett that Byron may have seen Alison on the night she died. Alison told him,"you know what I'm capable of!"
- Ella Montgomery (Holly Marie Combs) (Season 1 - 4) is Aria's mother, as well as a teacher at Rosewood High. Ella believes in treating her children as friends, not as property. She has mentioned that she doesn't want to push into Aria's private life, and she thinks that Aria should be allowed to keep secrets. Ella was unaware of her husband's affair with a student until A sent her a letter. After asking Byron to move out, and his refusal, she left the home. Eventually, Aria found out her parents were secretly getting back together, and Ella eventually decides to move back in. When her son, Mike, is depressed, she doesn't feel he needs medication, and remains somewhat in denial about his illness. She finally receives her wake-up call when he attacks her in his bedroom. When Ella found out Aria was dating Ezra, she was angry, but she believed Aria when she said she had broken it off, and tried to win her back her freedom, which Byron didn't think she deserved. Later, she finds out that Aria and Ezra are still together, and decides she is going to try to understand their relationship. Ella is aware of A, and tries to send Aria to Boarding School to get away. Aria is furious, and blackmails her mother into not going through with it. Ella tearfully tells Aria how ashamed she is, and how she doesn't know how to save their relationship. In season 3, she and Byron have divorced and Ella tries to move on with her life not knowing how. Aria creates a profile for her on a dating website under the nickname "Hot Mamma." Ella is furious at Aria but later she likes the idea and starts dating again. She befriends and starts dating the owner of the brew who is much younger than her. In season 4, she leaves Rosewood so she can go live with her boyfriend in Europe.
- Mike Montgomery (Cody Christian) (Season 1 - 2, Season 4 - present) is Aria's younger brother. A lacrosse player, he suffers from a mental illness, which has causes him to burst into fits of anger and later leads him to break into people's houses for fun, before he begins to shut down emotionally and withdraw completely from his family. He blames Aria for the trouble between their parents. Mike accidentally discovered that Jenna and Garrett knew each other, which he told Aria about. Mike reveals to Aria that the only reason he punched Ezra was because after Ezra and Aria announced they are a couple, he feared what Byron would have done to hurt Ezra judging by the look on his face and thought, "Better I do it, than him."Throughout the rest of the episodes he appears to have improved after going to a therapist. It does not tell when or if he was still seeing his therapist. He seemed to forgive Aria and their relationship is better. He stopped being rebellious and more focused of his family's problems and helping them out.
- Holden Strauss (Shane Coffey) (Season 2 - 3) is a childhood friend of Aria's who returns with his family from a year abroad in Portugal in the middle of Season 2. He asks Aria out on a date, and discovers that she only agreed so she could get out of the house unsupervised and try to meet Ezra. Instead of becoming upset, he suggest that they continue the cover, though he remains secretive about what he does during their fake dates. We later find out that his secret is more serious than it seemed at first when he accidentally reveals a very large bruise on his stomach, but he tells Aria not to worry about it. He eventually tells her that he is doing Tae Kwan Do, a Korean martial art, and that his parents forbid him to keep training, that is why he needs a cover. The situation turns out to be more complicated, though, when Ella tells Aria that Holden has a heart condition that could kill him any time. Aria goes to watch one of Holden's fights and she sees how much he loves to fight. In the sixth episode in season 3, he attends the same church party as Hanna. But when Emily comes, he runs into her and sparks a conversation. When he grabs a cupcake his wrist is exposed revealing a tattoo from that night and Noel Kahn's party.
- Ezra Fitz (Ezra Fitzgerald) (Ian Harding) (Season 1 - present) is a former English teacher at Rosewood High School and later teaches at Hollis College. He became romantically involved with Aria after the two met at a bar and instantly bonded. When he discovered that Aria was his student, he attempted to break things off, but found himself unable to do so. He broke up with Aria for a little while in order to take time to think about their relationship. He quit his teaching position at Rosewood just before Noel threatened to expose Aria and Ezra's relationship. Ezra later explains to Aria that he was engaged to a girl named Jackie when he was in college, but that she broke it off; Jackie later returns to Rosewood after getting a teaching position at Hollis. Although Ezra loves Aria, he seems to still have some lingering feelings for Jackie, and the two remain close. His relationship with Aria is often strained by the fact that they have to hide that they are together. Aria, who apparently was a virgin, was surprised dreaming with having relations with Ezra and then confirmed that she was not surprising Ezra with a very sexy dinner and then closing the door of the office. He confesses to Ella that he loves Aria (though she misunderstands and believes he is talking about Spencer) when he comes to comfort Aria after her arrest. In "Through Many Danger, Toils, and Snares" we find out that Aria broke up with Ezra because of Jackie threatening to expose their relationship but they later get back together after Aria explains to Ezra that Jackie was the reason why she broke up with him. Ezra and Aria later tell Byron and Ella that they are a couple which leads him to getting punched by Mike (though it's told he only did it fearing what Byron what would have done instead). Ezra later tells Jackie, who comes into his office trying to convince him it'll never work out for him and Aria due to age difference and the fact she's still a teenager, to get out of his office, saying he will not let her do anything to harm or hurt Aria ever again and that he wants nothing more to do with Jackie herself. Aria continues to attempt to convince her parents to allow her to date Ezra but in the meantime they try to set her up with someone else. When Aria calls Ezra, he tells her not to call him again. The two later rekindle their relationship when Aria leaves him a voice mail telling Ezra that, if he doesn't meet up with her, their relationship is over. Ezra turns up at the last minute after a student tells him to 'be bold' and the two kiss in the rain. Aria decides not to tell her friends that the two are back together, hoping that, by keeping it from them, she can also keep it from 'A'. They later have sex in his apartment after Ezra finds out that he has been fired from Hollis. In season 3, Aria and Ezra celebrate their one-year anniversary. Their relationship seems to be going smoothly until Ezra's younger brother Wesley "Wes" drops by unexpectedly. Bumps are soon formed in their relationship when Aria learns of Ezra getting his high school girlfriend Maggie pregnant and his mother paying her to disappear from his life, even though he wanted to do the right thing. Aria tracks Maggie down and discovers that she has kept the baby, who is now a healthy 7 year old boy whom Ezra finds out about from a distraught Spencer. This leads him to leave Rosewood and seek out Maggie and his son; Ezra is back in Rosewood but only one day after he's back he gets a phone call from Maggie; Mrs.Fitzgerald sold Maggie's condo. Maggie asked Ezra if She and Malcolm can stay in Rosewood near him for a couple of days. When Aria is babysitting Malcolm, Malcolm falls off Ezra's bed and cuts his chin. Aria feels really bad about this. Later when Spencer is part of the A-team, she picks up Malcolm from his karate class but is actually kidnapping him. Aria frantically tries to find him and when she does he tells her that Aria's friend Alison picked him up. Ezra gets a job at Rosewood High as a substitute teacher. After all the incidents with Malcolm, Aria decides that its best that her and Ezra break up just after kissing him on the school stairs. In season four Ezra starts teaching at Rosewood High School again. After Aria has a dream that Ezra got arrested because of her she decided they should see other people, something Ezra had already suggested. Ezra would still do anything for Aria, as whenever she is having trouble he still steps up to help her. Ezra finds out Malcolm isn't really his son. In the summer finale Ezra is believed to be on the "A-team".
- Noel Kahn (Brant Daugherty) (Season 1 - 3) is a popular jock and friends with Sean and Mike. He has feelings for Aria and briefly dates her, ending things when he discovers that Aria is seeing Ezra. Noel attempts to blackmail Ezra with this information, but ends up getting framed by A (for apparently stealing mid-term exams). After a suspension, he returns to school and becomes somewhat romantically involved with Mona, but eventually breaks up with her and starts dating Jenna. On the security tape Noel sent Spencer it shows that Jenna was dating Noel.
- Jake (Ryan Guzman) (Season 4 - present) is a martial arts instructor in Rosewood. Aria begins to take private lessons to help protect herself from 'A'. During one of the sessions, Aria kisses him and apologizes. But later, they start to hang out a lot on dates. On one of the dates, he learns about Ezra. With time, Aria and Jake's relationship heads to the next level. When Jake meets Ezra for the first time, he tells him to let Aria move on.
- Meredith Sorenson (Amanda Schull) (Season 1 - 3) is a former student at Hollis who Byron had an affair with. She ignores Aria's pleas for her to stay away from Byron and in an effort to get close to Byron again, attempts to befriend Ella, who was unaware of the affair. In the beginning of season 3, "A" forces Aria to reveal a past secret that Aria and Alison trashed Byron's office and framed Meredith for the crime when Aria believes an earring she found proves that Byron and Meredith were still together after Aria found out about the affair. After the incident Byron did end all ties with Meredith because he felt threatened. But when "A" forces Aria to confess it was her, it gives now divorced Byron and Meredith another chance at a relationship. When Aria is forced to confess and apologize to Meredith, she returns the earring "A" gave her, which was taken from Alison's grave only to find out the earring is not hers. Meredith became a teacher at Rosewood High. She later was burnt in a fire and lead to believe Aria did it (She's Better Now). In the episode "Misery Loves Company!" it is at first misleading because you think Meredith is actually helping Aria by protecting her from Byron, when in fact she has gone off the deep end. When Aria is sick, Meredith plays mom by taking care of her. When in reality she actually drugs Aria's tea to search her house. After Aria becomes suspicious, Meredith lures Aria down to the basement where she falls and becomes unconscious. When Hanna and Emily check on Aria, they too are tricked down into the basement. Byron finds them and Meredith escapes. It is revealed that Byron didn't kill Alison, even though she was black mailing him about Meredith and Byron's affair.
- Jackie Molina (Paloma Guzman) (Season 1 - 2) is Ezra's ex-fiancée. After getting a teaching job at Hollis, she makes hints at wanting to reconcile her relationship with Ezra. She discovers that Aria and Ezra are in a relationship, and uses this as leverage when Aria attempts to force her out of Ezra's life by threatening to expose a paper that Jackie plagiarized. Jackie forces Aria to break up with Ezra but the two later get back together and reveal their relationship to her parents when Ezra overhears Jackie threatening Aria. Ezra later tells Jackie to get out of his office when she comes by his office and to stay away from Aria after Jackie makes a comment about his relationship with Aria being "a terrible mistake," and that he wants nothing to do with Jackie again.
- Wesley Fitzgerald (Gregg Sulkin) (Season 3) is Ezra's younger brother. Aria first meets him outside of Ezra's apartment in the Season 3 episode "The Kahn Game", after Wesley and Ezra get into a heated argument. Later, Aria calls Ezra for a ride home from Noel's cabin party, and Wesley answers because Ezra left his phone at the apartment with Wesley. He offers to pick Aria up, and on the way home, Wesley reveals to Aria that Ezra had accidentally impregnated a girl named Maggie while in high school, assuming that Ezra had already told Aria this. Wesley goes on to say that Ezra's mother had paid Maggie to stay away from Ezra, and Ezra had never stayed in touch with her. Later, on Ezra's birthday, Aria reveals to Wesley that she had gone to Wilmington to locate Maggie, and that she discovered that Ezra has a 7-year-old son named Malcolm. They plan to break the news to Ezra together, but are disheartened when they learn that Maggie lied to Ezra about the situation. He then proceeds to crash at Ezra's place. He and Aria share a chaste and quick kiss after she offers him a place to stay for the night with her.
- Dianne Fitzgerald (Mary Page Keller) (Season 3) is Ezra's wealthy mother. She disapproves of Aria's relationship with Ezra, and consequently blackmails her to break up with him. This infuriates Aria, who refuses the offer. It is later revealed that Dianne had paid Maggie a large sum of money to disappear out of Ezra's life.
- Maggie Cutler (Larisa Oleynik) (Season 3 - 4) is Ezra's ex, who was impregnated by Ezra after High School. She was paid a large sum of money to disappear from Ezra's life and to take care of his unborn child, who he doesn't know about. In the eleventh episode, Aria pays her a visit at her school, where she reveals that she has a son named Malcolm. In the summer finale, she pays Ezra a visit leaving Aria out. At the end of the season 4 summer finale, she reveals Malcolm is not Ezra's son. She soon leaves Rosewood with Malcolm to Seattle.
Acquaintances of Spencer Hastings
The following characters are all family members and acquaintances of Spencer Hastings, one of the protagonists of the series.
- Melissa Hastings Thomas (Torrey DeVitto) (Season 1 - present) is Spencer's older sister, who is engaged to Wren at the start of the series, but later returns to Ian. A perfectionist and the favored daughter, she was Spencer's rival for most of their lives. Their competition lead to Spencer kissing both Ian and Wren, which culminated in Melissa breaking off her engagement with Wren. After the breakup, Melissa rekindled her relationship with Ian and the two eloped, after which Melissa confided in Spencer that she just wanted the fighting between them to stop. Shortly after marrying Ian, Melissa becomes pregnant, which again causes a rift between her and Spencer, who suspects Melissa is covering for Ian. When Ian goes missing, Melissa refuses to believe Spencer's claims that he is dead, thinking that she is receiving text messages from Ian, who is in hiding. After discovering Ian's body, however, Melissa becomes depressed and apologizes to Spencer for choosing Ian over her. When Melissa finds Ian's phone in Spencer's bag, (although it was A who put the phone in there), she believes it was Spencer sending the texts to Melissa's phone and vows she will never, ever forgive Spencer for this. Melissa discovers that Jason is their half-brother and says that she can't be around their parents because they lied to her and Spencer. She still loiters around the house however, and Spencer and her friends begin to suspect that Melissa knows more about "A" and Ali's disappearance than she is letting on. They find a video taken inside Alison's room the night she disappeared, and Melissa is shown throwing open the door and yelling "Where is she?!" The girls also find out that Melissa was sending Ali threatening text messages, and had worked at a law firm that Ali had suspected of assisting "A" in messing with her life. Spencer and Melissa's dad's gun goes missing, and Spencer fears Melissa took it. Although Melissa didn't take the gun, her parents still feared that she killed Alison through jealousy. So her mom hired a private investigator to watch her. Toward the end of the second season, Melissa makes some odd statements that imply she knows some secrets about Alison and/or the N.A.T. club. Melissa lost her baby after Ian died.
- Peter Hastings (Nolan North) (Season 1 - present) is Spencer and Melissa's father. A lawyer who places a great emphasis on winning, he destroys evidence that he fears will implicate Spencer in Alison's murder. Although initially he disapproves of Spencer and Toby dating, he warms to Toby after Toby begins to work for him. Peter strongly dislikes DiLaurentises, who has claims are "always crossing lines." In Season 2, Episode 19, it is revealed that Peter did have an affair with Jessica DiLaurentis, he is Jason's father and that Jason, Spencer and Melissa are all half-siblings. We also discover that he paid a private investigator to look into Ali's disappearance, as he was afraid that Melissa had something to do with it, since he already found out Melissa had been sending Ali threatening text messages.
- Veronica Hastings (Lesley Fera) (Season 1 - present) is Spencer's and Melissa's mother. She had a breast cancer scare that she keeps a secret from her family, not wanting to worry them. A lawyer, she frequently helps the girls out with legal situations. Although she dislikes Toby and his relationship with Spencer, she eventually becomes more tolerant of it. In Season 3, she also defends Garrett after he gets arrested and eventually gets the judge to allow him to walk free.
- Ian Thomas (Ryan Merriman) (Season 1 - 2) is Melissa's late husband. He attended high school with Jason and Garrett and was part of their "N.A.T." club (the initials of a Latin phrase meaning "We See All"). Ian dated Melissa prior to Alison's death, although he was secretly carrying on an affair with Alison, he also flirted and tried it on with Spencer, who had a crush on him. He returned to Rosewood shortly after Melissa broke off her engagement with Wren; after a small courtship, the two eloped and took up residency in the Hastings' renovated barn while their apartment in Philadelphia was being remodeled. He had an uneasy relationship with Spencer, who became suspicious of him and believed he was A/Alison's killer. It is later revealed that Ian liked to secretly videotape the girls when they were getting undressed, and other videos such as Jenna threatening Toby to sleep with her. When Spencer confronts Ian about Alison's death, he claims he only pushed her, not intended for her to hit her head. After this he approaches Spencer and tries to kill her, stating that he's doing it for Melissa's benefit, but is killed by A, who surprisingly intervenes. His body goes missing and he is presumed to be in hiding, however, his body is eventually discovered, his death staged to look like a suicide; and leaving Melissa with his unborn child. "A" drops their phone in season 2, and the girls enlist Caleb's help. He finds videos of Ian, Garrett, Jenna, and Melissa in Alison's room that night. He hides the camera and they begin to argue about the videos. In the premiere episode of Season 4, Mona reveals that even though she was "A", she was not the one who killed Ian. She then says she doesn't know who did. As of Season 4, Ian's killer remains a mystery.
- Wren Kingston (Julian Morris) (Season 1 - present) was a medical student who was engaged to Melissa. He was attracted to Spencer and later kissed her, which resulted in Melissa calling off their engagement. However, he later returns to Rosewood to help Melissa out with Ian, who, at the time, they believe to still be alive. He obtains a job at the hospital in Rosewood, telling Spencer he came back for her, he then asks her if she wants to go out for a coffee but she says 'I have a boyfriend now', they leave it at that and go. He then comforts Spencer after her breakup with Toby, leaving her confused. After Mona is revealed to be A, Wren develops a friendship with Hanna, since he works at the mental institution and Hanna goes to visit Mona there on a regular basis. Eventually, the board at the mental threatens to transfer Mona to New York, and Wren helps Hanna testify to the board and get her to not be transferred. Hanna accidentally kisses Wren from happiness when she finds out Mona will not be transferred based on Hanna's testimony. Wren tends to get an unrequited crush on Hanna after the kiss and tries to woo her at times, but gets rejected. Most likely because he's Spencer's ex and she's secretly dating Caleb again. In Season 4, its revealed he knows about Red Coat. He goes with Melisssa to London for unknown reasons.
- Alex Santiago (Diego Boneta) (Season 1) is an employee of Rosewood's exclusive country club. He meets Spencer after observing her practicing serves, and the two quickly enter into a relationship. Their relationship becomes strained after Melissa plants doubts about Spencer's feelings for him in Alex's mind, leading Alex to think Spencer is slumming it with him. Veronica is initially uncomfortable around Alex, which Spencer thinks is because of Alex being of a lower economic class, however, Alex explains that he comforted Veronica after her cancer scare. Alex breaks up with Spencer for good after A makes him believe Spencer applied for him to go to Europe for a tennis camp after he asked her explicitly not to.
- Toby Cavanaugh (Keegan Allen) (Season 1 - present) is Jenna's stepbrother, who was blackmailed into sleeping with Jenna and taking the blame for the girls accidentally blinding Jenna. After he returns to Rosewood, he strikes up a tentative friendship with Emily after saving her from Ben. Spencer disapproves of the friendship, believing that Toby is Alison's murderer. Emily goes to Homecoming with Toby and later confesses to him that she is a lesbian; her openness makes Toby try to confess to her about having a thing with Jenna, which Emily misunderstands, leading to a physical confrontation. Toby drops her off at the hospital before running away; he is later caught by the police, who have been tipped off by Jenna. After witnessing Toby being taunted in the street, Spencer begins to sympathize with him, and they bond, when they realize they are both being framed for Alison's murder. Despite Spencer's parents distrust and dislike of Toby, they begin to date. After A threatens Spencer with Toby's safety, she decides to break up with him, not wanting him to get hurt. He then falls, because of one of A's tricks and ends up in hospital. He later learns that Wren kissed Spencer and had a one-day fling with her. Back in the hospital he tells Wren that his left arm may be broken but his right arm isn't(meaning he would beat him up if he tried anything like it again.) When he comes out he begins to act cold towards her, no longer caring about her. In the season 2 finale he admits that pretending not to love her was the hardest thing he has ever done, she then approaches him and gets ready to slap him but before she has a chance he pulls her close to him and kisses her. In Season 3, Spencer and Toby seem to have moved past all the problems that plagued their relationship in the past, seeming happier and more in love than they ever were. In the Season 3 summer finale, Toby and Spencer take it to the next level. Toby is revealed to be a member of the "A" team, in which I. Marlene King (the showrunner), said that he was "not an undercover agent". It is revealed later on that Spencer became aware of Toby`s affiliation with the A-Team. She confronts him about it on the night of their anniversary and slaps him across the face, a response to his betrayal. Her mom than arrives home allowing him the moment he needs to sneak away. Spencer has not seen him since, but has become quite bitter and broken from the betrayal. Spencer later finds a body and assumes its Toby's from the tattoo. Mona runs by saying "He's dead." When Spencer later joins the A team she finds out Toby is alive and that he joined to find out about Red Coat. They go to a motel room together and re-kindle their love for each other, resulting in them having sex. In season 4, Toby learns more information about his late mother. He finds out that she committed suicide at Radley. When Spencer and him go there, there is a long roof that goes around the whole building. Spencer thinks someone may have pushed her. Toby talks to his mothers therapist, the one she talked to the day she died. He said for her to stay away from that "blonde girl". This means that Alison could have visited his mother at Radley. It is later learned that the blonde may possibly be CeCe Drake.
Acquaintances of Hanna Marin
The following characters are all family members and acquaintances of Hanna Marin, one of the protagonists of the series.
- Ashley Marin (Laura Leighton) (Season 1 - present) is Hanna's mother, who works at a bank in Rosewood. She is angered by Hanna's shoplifting, so she has an affair with Detective Darren in order to keep Hanna from being charged. After some financial hardship caused by the divorce, Ashley falls behind on her bills and resorts to stealing money from the safety deposit box of a client; the money is later stolen (by A, unbeknownst to Ashley) and Hanna is forced to slowly earn it back by hurting Lucas. Although she is divorced from Tom, Hanna's father, Ashley still has lingering feelings for him; when he comes for a visit, she ends up sleeping with him. However, she ends the affair when she realizes that Tom will never change. After Emily's parents move to Texas, Ashley invites Emily to come live with her and Hanna. She initially disapproves when Hanna starts dating Caleb, but eventually warms up to him even saying how she sees "herself" in him. In season 3, she begins to date a Pastor named Ted. In season 4, Ashley is framed for Detective Wildens murder by "A", and is arrested. Spencer tells Hanna that she could spend life in prison...or worse.
- Tom Marin (Roark Critchlow) (Season 1 - 2, Season 4) is Hanna's father. He divorced Hanna's mother, Ashley, after having an affair with Isabel, his current wife. When he comes to Rosewood to visit Hanna, he begins to grow close to Ashley once more, something which is encouraged by Hanna. Tom eventually sleeps with Ashley, but she breaks things off with him when she realizes that he will never change. His wedding to Isabel is interrupted by Hanna, who reveals his affair with Ashley to Isabel. Despite Hanna ruining Tom's wedding to Isabel, Ashley reveals to Hanna that Tom still married her. Tom later reveals that he will be moving back to Rosewood with Isabel and Kate so he can be closer to Hanna.
- Isabel Marin (née Randall) (Heather Mazur) (Season 1 - 2) is Tom's new wife and Hanna's stepmother. At Tom and Isabel's wedding, "A" makes Hanna reveal that Tom had slept with Ashley while he was engaged to Isabel. Despite Hanna telling Isabel about Tom's affair with Ashley, Isabel still marries him. Until recently, Isabel seemed entirely unaware of her daughter Kate's nature.
- Kate Randall (Natalie Floyd, later Natalie Hall) (Season 1 - 2) is Isabel's daughter and Hanna's stepsister. Although Hanna is friendly to Kate at first, she begins to resent her. Kate is shown to possess a malicious streak, with a willingness to use manipulation for her own purposes. Hanna had said some unkind things about Kate, but apologizes to her. Kate pretends to accept the apology, but makes comparisons of how to break in horses and how she would break in Hanna. She humiliates Hanna after getting her drunk at their parents' rehearsal dinner. Even though Hanna stopped Isabel's wedding to her father, Kate still becomes Hanna's stepsister when their parents get married at the courthouse. Tom later moves back to Rosewood with Isabel, and Kate is enrolled at Rosewood High. It appears that Kate actually wants to be friends with Hanna at school, but she was really trying to look like an innocent victim, even sending the school a naked photo of herself and framing Hanna for it. But after finding out the truth, Hanna neutralizes Kate for a time.
- Regina Marin (Betty Buckley) (Season 2 - 3) is Hanna's grandmother. She is quite eccentric but very smart. Regina is very fond of her granddaughter and Ashley, and is very ambiguous about Tom's new family. Regina sees right through Kate and her sneaky ways. She returns in the Season 3 episode "Shes Better Now", where she comments on how Mona is trying too hard to win Hanna back, and also singing the National Anthem at a running event.
- Mona Vanderwaal (Janel Parrish) (Season 1 - present) is a former unpopular girl at Rosewood who longed to be accepted into Alison's group and was continuously mocked by Alison. After Alison's disappearance, Mona befriended Hanna and they underwent an "extreme makeover" together; as a result, they both became popular students. When "A" appears, Mona becomes jealous of Hanna rekindling her friendships with the other Liars. She dislikes Caleb and makes attempts to break Hanna and Caleb up, though to no avail. She becomes romantically involved with Noel, much to Hanna's disapproval, but is later dumped by him for Jenna. When "A" begins sending Mona threatening notes, she grows closer to the Liars. In the second season finale, she is in fact revealed to actually be "A" when she and Spencer travel to the Lost Woods Resort to uncover "A"'s lair. She is committed to a mental institution, Radley, after being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. It is subsequently revealed that Mona had been taking orders from an unknown person. Although at Radley, Mona gives answers to Hanna concerning Maya's death. Unbeknownst to "A", she secretly gives Maya's website to Hanna in code, leading the liars to eventually discover that Nate killed Maya. It is later revealed that she began the A-Team herself along with Toby, but then a person in a red coat came along and changed the game, taking control over the A-Team. Mona later reveals she actually doesn't know who "Red Coat" is, and is basically expelled off the team for letting Spencer and Toby trick her. At the end of season 3, Mona gets a text along with the rest of the girls in red font: You're mine now. Kisses! -A, implying she is now a victim of "A".
- Lucas Gottesman (Brendan Robinson) (Season 1 - 3) was an unpopular student at Rosewood, who harbored an unrequited crush on Hanna, with whom he developed a friendship with. Having been frequently tormented by Alison, he often expressed his happiness at her death, going so far as to destroy Alison's memorial, believing her cruelty shouldn't have been forgiven posthumously. Although initially angered by Hanna's rejection of his romantic feelings, he eventually accepts it and even befriends Caleb. He seeks Hanna out for dating advice after he becomes involved with a girl named Danielle, however, it is unclear if any relationship developed between them. Soon afterward, due to a series of misunderstandings and coincidences, the Liars suspect Lucas may be A; it is later revealed that Lucas had gambled away thousands of dollars of Caleb's savings. Following this, his friendship with Hanna and Caleb is severely strained, and Lucas grew increasingly more troubled. It was revealed in the third season that he had been visiting Mona at Radley, because she had discovered he was selling test answers and was blackmailing him into cooperating with her. He moved away at the end of season 3, out of fear and as a way to start over.
- Sean Ackard (Chuck Hittinger) (Season 1) is Hanna's boyfriend prior to the beginning of the series. Having crushed on Sean since before Alison's disappearance, motivated by insecurities about her weight, Hanna puts a lot of pressure on their relationship. When Sean refuses to have sex with Hanna, she becomes upset and wrecks his car, though Sean understands and forgives her. However, the mystery surrounding A and Alison's death begin to take a toll on their relationship and that, combined with Sean's treatment of Lucas as well as his attraction to Aria, leads to their breakup. Afterwards, Sean seeks out Emily's help in pursuing Paige, unaware that Paige is a lesbian.
- Caleb Rivers (Tyler Blackburn) (Season 1 - 4) is a foster child and Rosewood's resident "bad boy" who Hanna seeks out for help in hacking Emily's phone so that she can call Maya, her girlfriend at the time. Though initially annoyed and frustrated by Caleb, she becomes more sympathetic towards him when she discovers his poor home life. The two eventually enter into a relationship which results in Hanna losing her virginity to Caleb. When she discovers that Caleb originally tried to get close to her while working for Jenna, she dumps him, feeling betrayed. He is brought back to Rosewood by Lucas, who wants Hanna and Caleb to make amends and reunite. After Caleb is contacted by his birth mother, he leaves Hanna to stay in California for a while. He returns in time for Tom's marriage to Isabel, accompanying Hanna to the wedding. Caleb then comes back after being in California and helps Hanna and her friends hack A's phone without telling him who's phone it belongs to, but it backfires when "A" shuts the phone down. His surprise birthday party later gets ruined because Lucas has something to tell Hanna but Hanna takes it the wrong way and they both end up falling out the boat. The girls (excluding Hanna) let Caleb continue to hack "A"´s phone and so that he does it they tell him about "A" but just the important parts that include defending Hanna. The girls try to hide the truth from Hanna but when she finds out she is angry at them. They however talk and become friends again. Meanwhile, Caleb becomes obsessed with finding out who "A" is, which caused "A" to hack into Caleb's computer and planted secure school files, which landed him in trouble with the police, However Hanna saves him by deleting the files. Caleb is the first person other than the liars to help figure out who "A" is. Earlier Lucas has some problems and starts to be a bad boy at school when he is given a letter to give to his parents he drops it into a bin and sets it on fire, Hanna starts to worry about Lucas so she asks Caleb to talk to him. Later Caleb confronts Lucas and asks him why he nearly set fire to his girlfriend and why is he acting so weird, Lucas says sorry and walks off leaving Caleb wondering. In the third season, Hanna has trouble telling Caleb about what's going on in her life, causing him to breakup with her. a couple episodes later it is revealed that they are back together in secret, unable to tell anyone. Caleb promises to help Hanna take down this new "A". In the summer finale, he accompanies the liars sans Emily to Ali's grave. Right after Emily's confrontion with Nate/Lyndon he comforts Emily but is shot by a gun Caleb put down beside the tower light assuming Nate was dead; Caleb was accidentally shot when the light in the tower heats up the gun and it went off. He survives the gunshot. After some prodding, Hannah convinces him to meet with his actual father who was portraying himself as "Uncle Jamie". They hit it off and Hannah manages to get Caleb's father a job at the church so that he could be near his son. It is hinted that he (Caleb's father) stole money from the church as Hannah notices a bill in his wallet with the same red dice as the one she had donated earlier that day. Caleb's dad also starts to work for the local church, when he returned the bell from repair it was a much cheaper version. Hanna tells Caleb about this causing Caleb to break off his new relationship with his father, only for "A" to later reveal it was all a set-up. When Hanna's mom get's framed for Wilden's murder Caleb teams up with Toby to search for other suspects. He then soon breaks up with Hannah when he's preparing to leave Rosewood to live in his new home Ravenswood.
- Travis (Luke Kleintank), Luke first appears giving Hanna money in order to help her mother. Hanna then finds out the Luke was a witness to the confrontation between Hanna's mother and Wilden that landed her mother in jail. Two develop a friendship. After Hanna and Caleb breakup, Hanna kisses Travis.
- Darren Wilden (Bryce Johnson) (Season 1 - 4) is a detective investigating Alison's murder. He is attracted to Hanna's mom, Ashley, who he once drove home after she had been drinking and asked for a ride, later sleeping with her to make up for not charging Hanna, who was caught shoplifting. He is distrustful of the girls, frequently questioning them beyond normal means, such as when he humiliates Emily by outing her to her friends. The detective returns in season 2 episode 12, when the girls are arrested. Officer Reynolds suggests there could be a raise in this for him, as he has his suspicions of the girls to start with. He reveals to them that he knew the murder weapon all along, and the girls had just been caught with it. He had strong feelings towards them all especially Hanna, and was determined that they would be thrown into jail. The girls are very grateful for Spencer's mom for getting them out of it and landing them with merely community service. When Ashley begins to worry that someone is still trying to get to her daughter, she goes to Darren for help, asking him if he had anything to do with Hanna's police report being released. Darren says that information could get him fired, and he didn't release the report. The liars find a picture of Wilden, CeCe, and Alison on his boat in Cape May the summer Ali died. They think Wilden is the father of Alison's baby. Later, Wilden confronts Ashley and when he reaches for his gun, she hits him with her car and flees the scene. When she returns with Hanna, his body is missing. His car later found in Hanna's garage and she takes it to the lake and dumps it. In the season 4 premiere, Wilden was killed and his body was found next to his car. Also, it was revealed that he is one of the people dressed as the Queen of Hearts in the Halloween episode "This is a Dark Ride" along with Melissa Hastings. The town believed that Ashley was responsible for the murder, but in the season 4 finale, it was revealed that Cece Drake was responsible for Wilden's murder.
Acquaintances of Emily Fields
The following characters are all family members and acquaintances of Emily Fields, one of the protagonists of the series.
- Pam Fields (Nia Peeples) (Season 1 - present) is Emily's mother. Strict and traditional, she expresses great anger and sadness when she learns that Emily is gay. Believing that Maya corrupted her daughter, she holds a grudge against her, eventually discovering marijuana in Maya's bag and having her sent away. Her relationship with Emily becomes extremely strained after this, but begins to heal when Pam stands up to Paige's father for being homophobic and accusing Emily of getting preferential treatment. For a short time, she moved to Texas to be with her husband, Wayne, eventually returning to Rosewood at the end of season two.
- Wayne Fields (Eric Steinberg) (Season 1 - present) is Emily's father and an officer in the military. At the start of the series, he was stationed in Afghanistan, and when he returned home, Emily came out to him. He struggled to accept Emily's homosexuality at first, but took a liking to Maya after she came over for dinner. After a few weeks of being in Rosewood, he was sent to Fort Hood, Texas to help train new recruits. When Emily was hospitalized after getting an ulcer, he came to visit her, apologizing for pressuring her into getting a swimming scholarship and explaining that he won't mind if Emily gives up on swimming, as long as she is healthy. Near the end of the second season, he is called back to active duty for another tour in Afghanistan.
- Ben Coogan (Steven Krueger) (Season 1) is Emily's ex-boyfriend, who she had begun dating prior to Alison's death. At one point, Ben began telling people that he and Emily had slept together, something Emily did not refute, believing it would happen "eventually" anyway. Feeling Emily growing distant from him after the arrival of Maya, he attempts to rape her, but is stopped by Toby. Emily officially dumps him at a party later that evening.
- Maya St. Germain (Bianca Lawson) (Seasons 1 - 3) was Emily's first girlfriend and the love of Emily's life. When Maya's family moves next door to Emily, the two quickly become friends, and their friendship gradually develops into romance. Though their relationship has a rocky start, Maya eventually helps Emily to come to terms with her sexuality. They are broken up by Pam, who discovers marijuana in Maya's bag and has her sent away to "True North," a camp for juvenile delinquents. After returning to Rosewood, Maya and Emily attempted to rekindle their relationship, though their new relationship is shaky. Maya fears that her parents might send her back to "True North" after finding an "old" joint of hers. Afraid of being sent back to True North, in part due to her "stalker" (a boy she dated while at True North who had begun harassing her), Maya plans to run away to San Francisco to live with some friends. She attempts to convince Emily to join her, but to no avail. When Maya goes missing and stops responding to any of Emily's calls, texts, and emails, Emily makes attempts to track her down, but is unsuccessful. At the end of the second season, it is revealed that a body had been found, and they think it's Maya's. Garrett is arrested for Alison's murder, and it is assumed he killed Maya, too. In the third season, the Liars discover more about Maya's death and Mona helps by telling them about Maya's video blog site. The girls find out she was staying at Noels cabin, and he sends security camera footage of the night she disappeared. It shows Maya returning her bicycle, and is grabbed by someone off-camera. The day is the same as the day Garrett was arrested, and it was after midnight meaning he did not kill her. Her cousin Nate comes to town, and befriends Emily. Later, He takes her away for a trip near the lighthouse and it is revealed that he was Maya's "stalker-Ex boyfriend" from True North, and his real name is Lyndon James. He attempts to kill Paige in revenge for taking Maya away from him, but Emily escaped to the top of the lighthouse leaving Paige behind. They have a brief struggle with Lyndon trying to stab her, but Emily grabs the knife and kills him before he kills her.
- Paige McCullers (Lindsey Shaw) (Season 1 - present) is the captain of the swim team and the star swimmer in Emily's absence. Jealous of Emily's perceived ease of accomplishments, she makes homophobic remarks towards Emily and physically threatens her. However, she later apologizes to Emily, stating that she can understand if Emily hates her, because she hates herself. She later also apologizes for her father, who causes problems for Emily at school, as he believes Emily is getting preferential treatment for being gay. She then kisses Emily, revealing herself to be gay. The two begin an on-again, off-again relationship, which suffers due to Paige's fear of being outed. Emily breaks up with Paige after Paige becomes jealous of Samara flirting with Emily. Near the end of the second season, Emily starts hanging out with Paige once more, who has finally come out to her parents. While trying to console Emily, who is upset about Maya's disappearance, Paige tries to kiss Emily, but is bluntly rejected. Paige later apologizes and agrees to just be friends with Emily. In the third season, Paige and Emily find it hard to remain just friends. Paige confesses to Emily that Emily visited her one evening, and the two shared a drunken kiss. Emily realizes that she wants to move on from Maya's death and rekindles her romance with Paige. When the Liars later suspect Paige of being "A", Emily staunchly defends her, causing a rift between Emily and the other Liars. However, once it revealed that Paige was being framed by "A" to look guilty, the Liars reconcile with Emily and accept Paige.
- Samara Cook (Claire Holt) (Season 1 - 2) is the president of a local private school's GSA. Upon meeting her, Emily is initially attracted to Samara because of Samara's beauty and the fact that she is out, unlike Paige, who Emily was secretly dating at the time. The two date for a short period of time, but Samara states that she does not want to be exclusive, causing Emily to doubt her feelings. After "A" blackmails Emily into giving Samara's friend her phone number, Samara thinks Emily is flirting and ends the relationship when Emily doesn't give her an honest answer.
- Lyndon James/Nate St. Germain (Sterling Sulieman) (Season 3) Maya's stalker. Having met Maya while the two of them were at True North, he was angered after Maya broke off their relationship, and proceeded to harass and stalk her once she returned home and rekindled her relationship with Emily. After Maya's faked her death well he never know she never died, he approaches Emily with the intent to befriend and then kill her, assuming the false identity of "Nate", Maya's supposed cousin. After being turned down romantically by Emily, Lyndon subsequently kidnaps Paige and tricks Emily into leaving Rosewood with him, planning on killing Paige in front of Emily as "revenge" for "taking" Maya from him. When Emily attempts to escape, the two get into a physical confrontation which culminates in Emily stabbing Lyndon in self-defense, fatally wounding him, and he dies.
Acquaintances of Alison DiLaurentis
The following characters are all family members and acquaintances of Alison DiLaurentis, one of the protagonists of the series.
- Kenneth DiLaurentis (Jim Abele) (Season 3) is Alison's father, an intimidating middle-aged man who returns to Rosewood in the Season 3 episode "Crazy". He has never forgiven Hanna for giving "false hope" to his wife that they would find Alison alive.
- Jessica DiLaurentis (Anne Marie DeLuise, later Andrea Parker) (Season 1 - 2 &, 4 - present) is Alison's mother, who spearheaded a charity fashion show in Alison's memory. Jessica DiLaurentis also had an affair with Peter Hastings which produced Jason.
- Jason DiLaurentis (Parker Bagley, later Drew Van Acker) (Season 1 - present) is Alison's brother and Spencer and Melissa's half-brother. He had an interesting relationship with his late sister; though they often fought, they were both conniving and willing to keep each other's secrets. Jason attended high school and was friends with Ian and Garrett, and they formed a club called "N.A.T" (initials from a Latin phrase which means "We See All"). He revealed to Spencer that Alison blamed the accident where Jenna was blinded on her, though Spencer believes Jason knows this to be a lie. After Ian's death, Jason returns to Rosewood, moving back into his old house and papering up the windows, apparently looking for something that Alison hid. He explains to Aria, who he has romantic feelings for, that he can't remember what he was doing on the night of Alison's murder and that someone sent him a note afterward with "I know what you did," written on them causing him to fear he might have killed Alison. We later find out that Spencer's father had had an affair with Jason's mother. When Spencer finds this out, she knows something's up, and she looks back on memories. When she remembers Ali telling her weird things on a night when her parents had been fighting about Jason and Melissa kissing, she figures out that Ali had subtly told her about Jason being her half-brother. When she approaches him he confirms her suspicions and they become closer and eventually he lends her $2,000.
- Duncan Albert (Lachlan Buchanan) (Season 2) is a boy Alison met in Brookhaven when she was pretending to be Vivian Darkbloom. When the girls are in Brookhaven, Duncan mistakes Aria for Vivian when she puts on Alison's red coat. Duncan then gives Aria his number and they later meet up at Rosewood High. There Duncan tells her that he knows Vivian was actually called Alison and that Alison talked about them. He is shocked when he hears about Alison's death. They later meet up again and he takes Aria flying. Duncan tells Aria that he took Alison flying many times and he says that she felt safe in the air, because no one could get to her and she was in control. It is made clear that Duncan was in love with Alison, but Alison had Ian. He also tells her that he picked Alison up from Hilton Head the morning before she went missing, which is how the girls find out that Alison was near Rosewood that morning, hours before she met up with them.
- CeCe Drake (Vanessa Ray) (Season 3 - present) is an ex-girlfriend of Jason DiLaurentis, who was friends with Alison as well. They spent a summer vacation together in Cape May. It seems that CeCe taught Ali her scheming ways, both act quite similarly. When CeCe returns to Rosewood in Season 3, the girls immediately notice the similarities between the way she acts and how Ali acted. Cece also learned a lot about the other girls from Alison. She was with Alison and Detective Wilden in Cape May the summer Ali died. It is hinted that she may be scared of Wilden as he was seen in a heated argument with her before she skipped town. In Season 4, its revealed CeCe was expelled from college, because apparently Alison pushed that girl down the stairs at the frat party shown in Season 1. CeCe believes the other girls were part of it too. In the episode before the fourth midseason finale, its revealed shes on "The A-Team". In the Season 4 midseason finale, its revealed she is Red Coat. However, she is not the leader, she takes orders from "Big A"-the real leader, who appears to be Ezra Fitz. Aria kicks CeCe in the face, causing her Ali mask to come off. CeCe falls off the railing, and it appears she is dead. However, her hand twitches, and her body disappears, meaning she is alive.
- Shana (Aeriél Miranda) (Season 3 - present) is a clerk from the Rosewod Halloween Spooktacular Store. She made her first appearance in Pretty Dirty Secrets, a series of mini webisodes. She was reintroduced when Hanna saw Paige talking to her in a lesbian bar. Paige admitted that she had a thing with Shana during the summertime and that she was trying to find information on who bought the Halloween costumes of the people who attacked them on the train from Shana. It was revealed that Shana was the mysterious person that Jenna Marshall was talking to in the finale of season 2 when she met up with her again in the finale of season 3. It is also revealed that Shana is in an alliance with Jenna and Melissa and that she may be in a relationship with Jenna. As of "Close Encounters", she reveals that she is helping Alison and they knew each other since they were kids.
- Jenna Marshall (Tammin Sursok) (Seasons 1-4) is Toby's younger stepsister. Jenna was accidentally blinded after Alison threw a firecracker into Toby's shed, intending to play a prank on him. At the time, Jenna had been in a sexual relationship with Toby (it is later discovered that Jenna had forced Toby into the relationship, threatening to tell their parents he had forced himself on her if he did not). Jenna attended a school for the blind in Philadelphia before returning a year later when Alison's body is found. This leads to conflicts with the girls, who feel guilty about what they did to Jenna, and having let Alison pin the blame on Toby. Prior to Alison's death, she and Jenna had been rivals, after Jenna turned down Alison's offer of friendship. Jenna was engaged in a power struggle with Alison before her death; after Jenna's accident, Alison visited her and blackmailed Jenna with the knowledge of her affair with Toby. Jenna claims to know "exactly what kind of person [Alison] really was," hinting that she knows things about Alison that the girls do not. Jenna was a part of the N.A.T. club and later became romantically involved with Garrett Reynolds, as they both worked to "take down" the Liars. However, Jenna eventually breaks up with Garrett, and enters into a relationship with Noel Kahn. In the second season, Jenna undergoes surgery to fix her eyesight, and subsequently lies about the success of the surgery, leading everyone to believe she is still blind. The Liars discover that Jenna can see after Emily remembers being in Jenna's car, leading them to confront of her; the Liars agree to keep her sight a secret, however, Jenna then soon reveals to everyone that she can "now" see. An accidental witness to Lyndon James' kidnapping of Maya, she leaves town after he discovers this. She returns in the Season 3 finale episode. It is then shown that she is in a relationship with Shana, to whom she reveals that her eyesight is getting worse again until she loses her vision again. She is also linked to Melissa and officer Wilden. In Season 4, its revealed Melissa ordered Shana and Jenna to go to the lodge to spy on the liars to see who they were meeting, and that they didn't start the fire: Wilden did. At Wilden's funeral, she is shown wearing her sunglasses and holding hands with a man. Its revealed that man was a pilot named Nigel Wright, who flew Red Coat the night of the fire. He claims it was CeCe Drake. Later, he is seen making coffee for someone and says hes sorry and that he "screwed up". He also refers to this person as "babe", and is probably none other than Jenna. Jenna was nearly drowned by an unknown person at Emily's birthday party.
- Garrett Reynolds (Yani Gellman) (Season 1 - 3) is a police officer investigating the case of Alison DiLaurentis' death, who is initially assigned to trail Spencer, a suspect in Alison's death. Although he appears to be sympathetic towards the girls, in reality he is secretly dating/in an alliance with Jenna. He was a member of N.A.T along with Jason and Ian, who he went to high school with. Garrett and Jenna have broken up. Aria and Spencer see Garrett watching them after they talk to the guy who Alison owed money to prior to her murder. Garrett then gets arrested, for Alison's murder in front of Melissa. Later in season 3 Garrett is willing to tell Spencer everything he knows and tells her he will leave town right after. As he begins to tell her they get interrupted. Aria is then seen trapped in a box, next to her you see Garrett's body.
- Anne Sullivan (Annabeth Gish) (Seasons 2-3) is a therapist who the girls are forced to see to deal with Alison's death. She is visited by A and attempts to reveal A's identity to the girls; A subsequently finds a way to keep her quiet. She returns once Mona ("A") has been caught and explains that Mona ("A") threatened the life of her son to get her to disappear. She then is the one to explain Mona's mental issues to the girls in the jail before Mona ("A") is put in a mental facility. She returns in season 3, relocating in Rosewood. She still helps the girls when they have problems, such as talking to Spencer when she was in Radley.
- "Board Shorts/Beach Hottie" (Season 3-present) is a male character who had a sexual relationship with Alison, shortly before she went missing. She wrote about him in her notebook and nicknamed him "Beach Hottie". CeCe Drake reveals Ali thought he got Ali pregnant, but it was only a false alarm. CeCe says Alison never revealed who the Beach Hottie was. It is known Alison stayed with him in Cape May, and could possibly be the person who knows what happened to Alison, or could have even killed her. Alison's parrot sings the girls a phone number, which leads Spencer to a secret room in a frat party. This persons number is probably the Beach Hottie. In the season 4 summer finale, Beach Hottie was hinted as being Ezra Fitz, although not confirmed.
- The Blonde Girl- is an anonymous character that had been to Radley before and Dr. Palmer told Toby to watch out for her. At first, Toby thought it was Alison, but after Spencer claimed CeCe Drake was visiting Mona in Radley, he changed his thoughts. Most likely, this unknown individual is Ali or Cece. It is also speculated the person could be Alison's twin, Courtney. Some fans also suspect she could be Meredith Sorenson due to her having a mental background and was possibly a patient at Radley Sanitarium. It was revealed in The Mirror Has Three Faces that the identity of her was CeCe Drake under the name of Alison DiLaurentis at Radley. She went there and claimed she was a danger to herself and others as a joke and Alison was in on it. Jessica DiLaurentis had said she was toxic and stated when she got a phone call about Alison so she rushed to Radley to reveal it being not Alison, but none other than CeCe Drake.