|Directed by||George Miller|
|Produced by||Donald Kushner
|Screenplay by||Dana Baratta|
|Based on||A Seal Called Andre
by Harry Goodridge & Lew Dietz
|Music by||Spencer Proffer
|Edited by||Harry Hitner|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures (USA)
Turner Pictures (internationally; these rights are now owned by Warner Bros.)
|Release dates||August 19, 1994|
|Running time||95 minutes|
Andre is a 1994 family comedy feature film starring Tina Majorino about a child's encounter with a seal. The film is an adaptation of the book A Seal Called Andre, which in turn was based on a true story. It was shot in Boston, Massachusetts, Mississippi, and Tasmania, Australia.
In 1962 Toni Whitney (Tina Majorino), a nine-year-old girl, and her Rockport, Maine family adopt an orphaned baby seal, naming it Andre. Andre is manageable when he is young but as Andre gets older and starts getting into mischief, he antagonizes some of the local fishermen. Toni forms an inseparable bond with Andre, but their relationship becomes threatened when the fishermen do not want to deal with Andre's antics any longer. The Whitney family is based on the Goodridge family.
- Keith Carradine as Harry Whitney
- Chelsea Field as Thalice Whitney
- Joshua Jackson as Mark Baker
- Tina Majorino as Toni Whitney
- Aidan Pendleton as Paula Whitney
- Keith Szarabajka as Billy Baker
- Shirley Broderick as Mrs. McCann
- Andrea Libman as Mary May
- Joy Coghill as Betsy
- Gregory Edward Smith as Bobbye
- Tory the sea lion as Andre
The film is based on the book A Seal Called Andre, co-written by the seal's owner, Harry Goodridge, and Lew Dietz, which describes the true story of Andre. During the credits, shots from original 16mm films of the real Andre are shown. Andre, who resided in later years at the New England Aquarium in Boston, entertained tourists at Rockport, Maine every summer until his death in the spring of 1986.
In the film, Andre is not played by an actual seal, but rather by a sea lion named Tory. Two other sea lions named Kalika and PJ were also featured in the film.
The movie debuted at No. 10.
- Goodridge, Harry; Dietz, Lew (1975). A seal called Andre. Praeger. ISBN 9-78027-522-000-6. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Andre the celebrity seal dies", The New Mexican (Santa Fe). July 21, 1986. pA-3
- Curtis, Abigail. "PBS documentary on Andre the Seal has host family reminiscing about special bond". Bangor Daily News (August 5, 2014). Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Fox, David J. (August 23, 1994). "Weekend Box Office : 'Forrest Gump' in Top Spot--Again". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 11, 2011.