Anwar (2010 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Amal Neerad|
|Produced by||Raj Zacharias|
|Written by||Amal Neerad|
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
|Editing by||Vivek Harshan|
|Distributed by||Red Carpet Movies Limited|
|Budget||5 crore (US$800,000)|
|Box office||20 crore (US$3.2 million)|
Anwar is a 2010 Malayalam thriller film written and directed by Amal Neerad, starring Prithviraj in the title role. The film was released on 15 October 2010. A Tamil dubbed version of the film was released on 19 January 2011 at 150 centres across Tamil Nadu. The film is loosely based on the 2008 American spy thriller film Traitor.
The movie is about the journey of a Malayali youth Anwar (Prithviraj) into the clutches of anti-social elements. The protagonist has another hidden agenda in joining the terrorist outfit. The movie opens with the visuals of Coimbatore bomb blast and the introduction of a special team under Stalin Manimaran (Prakash Raj) who arrests Babu Sait (Lal), a local community leader as a suspect in the bomb blast case. Meanwhile, Anwar a Muslim youth is arrested while passing on with some Hawala money and is sent to jail with Babu Sait and his team. Anwar performs his Namaaz daily five times. He is also fascinated by the terrorist activities of Babu Sait. Babu Sait helps Anwar in getting a bail and lures him to his activities. Anwar is attracted towards Terror acts and even successfully terminates two local drug dealers. Soon he becomes the most trusted and obedient right hand of Babu Sait. Anwar succeeds in planting a bomb in the police Headquarters and is soon introduced to Basheer Bhai (Sampath Raj), who selects him to spearhead another big, but dangerous project of chain blasts. Their plans were to plant a series of chain blasts in Mumbai. Though Anwar goes on with their plans, he has a haunting flashback, which forms the twist in the story. Babu Sait Shows the pictures of the coimbatore blast, which diverts Anwar to his flashback. The Flashback goes like this: Anwar and his family is a family that lives in a rural area of Palakkad. Anwar, an NRI returns from America for his sister's wedding. There he meets his sister's best friend Ayesha (Mamta Mohandas), and falls for her. His family knows about this and proposes to her. She accepts. But when they go out for shopping to Coimbatore, Anwar goes out of the cloth shop for refreshing and a sudden blast happens, killing the whole family except him. Meanwhile, Ayesha is arrested & then Anwar goes out to Stalin for her bail. But he refuses and tell it could not be done owing to lack of proof. He then tells Stalin that he will assist in the discovery of the terrorists, which lead to the present part of the story. Both of them have a secret meeting about the bomb blasts planned by Babu Sait & Co. Stalin brings Ayesha so that they could meet after a long time. When Babu Sait's Men arrives, Stalin tells Anwar to act as if they were having a fight, and one of the Babu Sait's men shoot Stalin, hereby killing, thinking that Anwar was having a fight. But after that, Anwar was given the big responsibility of transporting the deadly terrorists to Mumbai, through a ship containing full of explosives & weapons. Anwar at first made them think that he was on their side, but soon he blasts the ship by firing on it and killing all of the terrorists. Babu Sait becomes furious, that Anwar cheated them. When Anwar says about his parents, their flashbacks, which Babu Sait commits suicide. Anwar then calls the phone of Stalin which is under the police custody. He tells that the mission is over. After that it is narrated that Stalin & his colleague got bravery awards but no one has recognised the near-death battle Anwar has played. The film ends when both Anwar & Ayesha are in a quiet place, living together in a small house. The end-credits rolls with the "Njan" song.
- Prithviraj Sukumaran as Anwar
- Prakash Raj as Stalin Manimaran
- Mamta Mohandas as Ayesha
- Lal as Babu Sait
- Sampath Raj as Basheer Bhai
- Saikumar as Anwar's father
- Geetha as Anwar's mother
- Nithya Menen as Anwar's sister
- Salim Kumar as Ashraf
- Rajeev Pillai as a Terrorist (cameo)
- "Mahanadi" Sankar
|This section requires expansion. (October 2010)|
- Best Music Director – Gopi Sundar
- Best Female Playback Singer – Shreya Ghoshal – "Kizhakk Pookkum"
- Best Lyricist – Rafeeque Ahmed – "Kizhakku Pookkum"
|Soundtrack album by Gopi Sundar|
|Released||September 3, 2010|
The soundtrack of the film, composed by Gopi Sundar, was released on 3 September 2010. The album features seven songs with lyrics by Rafeeq Ahmed. The soundtrack received a generally positive response.
The song "Kizhakku Pookkum" was a phenomenal success across south India and has won numerous awards, mainly for the vocals by Shreya Ghoshal. In the 2011 Vanitha Film Awards, it won three awards: Best Song, Best Female Playback (Shreya Ghoshal) and Best Lyrics (Rafeeq Ahamed).
|1.||"Kizhakku Pookkum"||Shreya Ghoshal, Navin Iyer, Sabari Brothers and Raqueeb Alam||5:08|
|2.||"Njan"||Prithviraj, Mamta Mohandas, Reshmi, Priya and Asif Akbar||3:44|
|3.||"Kanninima Neele"||Shreya Ghoshal and Naresh Iyer||3:53|
|4.||"Vijanatheeram"||Sukhwinder Singh, Blaaze||3:46|
|5.||"Kavitha Pol"||Gopi Sunder and A V Uma||4:30|
|6.||"Kanninima Neele"||Suchitra Karthik and Gopi Sunder||3:33|
|7.||"A Hero Will Rise"||Gopi Sunder, Navin Iyer, Sethu Thankachan and Sree Charan||3:30|
The film was declared as a superhit due to its huge opening collection.
- Anwar to showcase a brand new Prithviraj OneIndia – Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 11:25 IST
- "മമ്മൂട്ടിയുടെ ശബ്ദവുമായി അന്വര്"
- "Prithviraj plays a terrorist in Anwar!". Sify Movies. Jan 20, 2010. Retrieved Aug 24, 2013.
- "Anwar to release on Nov 19 in Tamil". Sify. Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- "CineBuzz- MovieReview : Anwar -Malayalam movie". Cinebuzz.co.in. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "'Anwar' producer lashes out against Amal Neerad". Nowrunning.com. 2010-11-26. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Publication | Indian Publication News | Indian Publication Aggregator | Regional Publication News | Leading Publications India". Publication. samachar.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Babu, Ajith (2010-11-30). "ത്രില്ലര് മുക്കൂകുത്തി; പൃഥ്വിയ്ക്ക് തിരിച്ചടി- 30 prithvi under pressure – Oneindia Malayalam". Thatsmalayalam. oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Mammootty, Mamtha win Vanitha Film award". The song kanninimaneele was a direct lift from foreign song rosa maria Malayala Manorama. 10 February 2011.