Pomodoro designed a controversial fiberglass crucifix for the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The piece is topped with a fourteen foot in diameter crown of thorns which hovers over the figure of Christ.
Some of Pomodoro's "Sphere Within Sphere" (Sfera con Sfera) can be seen in the Vatican Museums, Trinity College, Dublin, the United Nations Headquarters in New York, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington, D.C., Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis, the de Young Museum in San Francisco, Tehran Museum of Contemporary Art, American Republic Insurance Company in Des Moines, Iowa, the Columbus Museum of Art in Columbus, Ohio, the University of California, Berkeley and the Tel Aviv University, Israel.
In Copenhagen, Denmark, he has created sculptory for the Amaliehaven park which was inaugurated on the waterfront in front of Amalienborg Palace in 1983. His thematic work "Forme del Mito" (Forms of Myth) [below] was displayed at Brisbane's World Expo '88 and was later purchased by Brisbane City Council for the City of Brisbane. Museum of Outdoor Arts also has a piece by Pomodoro in their collection entitled "Disco Emergente" which is on permanent public display in Greenwood Village, CO USA.
In 1999 he founded Fondazione Arnaldo Pomodoro in Milan. Originally conceived as a centre to document and archive the work of the artist, it opened an exhibition space in 2005, hosting exhibitions of prominent artists such as Jannis Kounellis, Lucio Fontana and Robert Rauschenberg. The director of Fondazione Arnaldo Pomodoro is Flaminio Gualdoni.
Set design for theatre and opera
- Semiramide by Gioacchino Rossini (1982), Teatro dell'Opera of Rome
- Orestea di Gibellina by Emilio Isgrò, on a text by Eschilo (1983–1985)
- Didone by Christopher Marlowe (1986)
- Alceste by Christoph Willibald Gluck (1987), Teatro dell'Opera of Genoa - stage and costumes
- Oedipus rex by Igor Stravinsky (1988), Siena
- La Passione di Cleopatra by Ahmad Shawqi, an Egyptian poet (1989)
- I Paraventi by Jean Genet (1990), Teatro Comunale of Bologna - stage and costumes
- Nella solitudine dei campi di cotone by Bernard-Marie Koltès (1992)
- Più grandiose dimore by Eugene O'Neill (1993)
- Oreste di Vittorio Alfieri (1993)
- Stabat Mater, La passione secondo Giovanni and Vespro della Beata Vergine by Antonio Tarantino (1994–1995)
- Moonlight by Harold Pinter (1995)
- Drammi Marini by Eugene O'Neill (1996)
- Antigone by Jean Anouilh (1996)
- Tempesta (The Tempest) by William Shakespeare (1998) - stage and costumes
- Un ballo in maschera by Giuseppe Verdi (2005), Opernhaus of Lipsia - stage and costumes
- Teneke by Fabio Vacchi (2007), Teatro alla Scala of Milan - stage and costumes
Honours and awards
- International Sculpture Center website. 'Lifetime Achievement in Contemporary Sculpture Award page'. Retrieved 24 January 2010.
- Radford, Georgia and Warren Radford, "Sculpture in the Sun, Hawaii's Art for Open Spaces", University of Hawaii Press, 1978, 95.
- Arnaldo Pomodoro biography
- Fondazione Arnaldo Pomodoro
- Museum of Outdoor Arts MOA>art piece full details
- Arnaldo Pomodoro's major creations
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Arnaldo Pomodoro.|