Associated Gospel Churches of Canada
|Associated Gospel Churches
|Leader||Rev. Dr. Bill Fietje|
The Associated Gospel Churches of Canada (AGC) can trace its origins to the 1890s, when the AGC began a group of independent churches, in Ontario, Canada, that was joined together by a charter under the leadership of Dr. Rev. P.W. Philpott. In 1922, the group was named the Christian Workers' Church of Canada. To differentiate itself from similarly named, but theological differing groups, the denomination was renamed Associated Gospel Churches of Canada in 1925. It was federally incorporated March 18, 1925.
The AGC began its first expansion outside of Ontario in 1940, when a group of churches based in Western Canada sought to affiliate themselves with AGC. This group of churches eventually became what is now known as AGC Canada West Region
In 1944, the AGC began expanding its English language ministries into the Canadian province of Quebec, and began its first French language ministries in 1972.
Merger negotiations with the EFCC
In 2005 and 2006, negotiations were undertaken to see if a denominational merger with the Evangelical Free Church of Canada could take place. Talks concluded in December 2006 with no agreement.
Leadership election (April 2007)
In April 2007, a vote was taken at the AGC's two regional conferences with a 98% approval for Rev. Dr. Bill Fietje to take over the presidency from Rev. Bud Penner beginning in June 2008. Rev. Penner retired from the position at the AGC's National Conference at that time, which took place at Redeemer University College in Ancaster, Ontario.
Fair Havens Ministries
Fair Havens Ministries is a Bible Conference and Christian retreat centre, owned and operated by the Associated Gospel Churches (AGC). It is located near Beaverton, Ontario, about 120 km (or 75 miles) north of Toronto. Attached to the Fair Havens grounds is the Fair Glen Youth Camp, a Christian Outdoor Education Centre for youth.
The AGC currently consists of over 140 churches, congregations, and ministries across Canada.
- Rev. Dr. Bill Fietje - President of AGC
- Rev. Dr. George Boyd - AGC Canada East Superintendent
- Rev. Jim Houston - AGC Canada West Superintendent
- Rev. Dr. Wesley Peach - AGC Quebec Director
- John Friesen - Executive Director of Fair Havens Ministries
- Donna Leung - AGC Administrative Assistant
- Susan Page - AGC Church Relations Coordinator
- Pat Zimmerman - AGC Canada West Administrative Assistant
- "Federal Corporation Information". Corporations Canada. Industry Canada. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2013)|
- Associated Gospel Churches of Canada. Articles of Faith and Doctrine [of] the Associated Gospel Churches: [statement of] 1983. [Burlington, Ont.?]: Associated Gospel Churches of Canada, 1983. N.B.: Comprises the denomination's 21 articles of belief. Without ISBN