Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party
|Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party|
|Headquarters||Level 5, Toowong Tower, 9 Sherwood Road, Toowong, Queensland|
|Ideology||Motor vehicle drivers' rights, Libertarianism|
|House of Representatives|
|Politics of Australia
The Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party is an Australian political party.
The Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party (AMEP) was formed on 11 May 2013 in Queensland at a public meeting of motoring enthusiasts. The formation of the party followed moves by state governments, particularly in Queensland, to toughen anti-hooning and vehicle impoundment legislation.
The Australian Electoral Commission completed the registration of the AMEP on 9 July 2013.
Formation and structure
The AMEP's structure includes State Councils and a Central Executive. The Queensland State Council and the Central Executive were formed when the party was established on 11 May 2013. At that point the Central Executive was made up of the Queensland State Council's office bearers.
The first Annual General Meeting of the AMEP was held on 11 July 2013. The Queensland State Council office bearers were returned as the Central Executive's office bearers.
The Victorian State Council was formed on 17 July 2013. The Western Australian State Council was formed on 23 July 2013. The New South Wales State Council was formed on 7 August 2013.
Candidates for 2013 Federal Election
Ricky Muir represented AMEP in Victoria and won a 14.3 percent quota after preferences on a record-low primary vote of 0.51 percent or 17,122 first preferences he assumed his seat on 1 July 2014. Larger parties including the incoming government are looking at changes to the group voting ticket system.
- Victorian 2013 Senate results and preference flows: ABC
- Motoring Enthusiasts Party member Ricky Muir wins Senate seat: ABC 1 October 2013
- The Preference Deals behind the Strange Election of Ricky Muir and Wayne Dropulich: Antony Green ABC 13 September 2013A ballot crammed with choice: SMH Tim Colebatch 5 August 2013
- Coalition shy of Senate majority: Business Spectator 9 September 2013
- Tony Abbott fires a warning shot at micro parties in the Senate: WA Today 9 September 2013
- Xenophon wants voting reform: NineMSN 9 September 2013