Bank AL Habib
|Headquarters||Multan & Karachi, Pakistan|
|Products||Loans, credit cards, Savings, Consumer Banking etc.|
|Revenue||PKR 4,351.4 million (2009)|
|Net income||PKR 2,908 million (2009)|
The Bank AL Habib Limited, run by the Dawood Habib family group of companies, is one of the growing banks in Pakistan. It was selected as one of the top 200 Best Under A Billion companies by Forbes Asia in their annual review of 2005. The bank's head office is located in the city of Multan in Punjab, but its principal office is located in Karachi. Presently, the bank has a network of 401 Branches (Inclusive of Sub Branches) & three offshore Banking Units in Bahrain, Turkey and EPZ. One more milestone achieved by BAHL is that 100% of its branches are online. Habib Group were pioneers in introducing banking to Pakistan. Their involvement in banking services dates back to 1930s. They successfully launched HBL Pakistan, which was nationalized in 1971 and is still one of the largest banks in Pakistan; since 2002 it has been jointly owned by the government and with the Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development. After the privatization scheme announced in 1991 by the Pakistani Government, Habib Group were the first to be granted permission to start a private bank, the Bank AL Habib Limited.
The original Habib Bank began modestly in Bombay in 1941 when it commenced operations with a fixed capital of 25,000 rupees. Impressed by its initial performance, Qaid-e-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah asked the Habib Bank to move its operations to Karachi after the independence of Pakistan. Habib Bank Limited established itself in the Karachi in 1943 and became a symbol of pride and progress for the people of Pakistan. It was nationalized in 1974.
Under the privatization policy of Government of Pakistan, the Dawood Habib Group was granted permission to set up a commercial bank. Bank AL Habib was incorporated as a Public Limited Company in October 1991 and started banking operations in 1992. (Late) Hamid D. Habib, grandson of the founder a Habib Group, was the first Chairman of Bank AL Habib Limited. He was a Director in Habib Bank Limited from 1954 and its Chairman from 1971 until nationalization. After the death of Mr. Hamid D. Habib in May 2000, Mr. Ali Raza D. Habib, who was Director on the Board, was appointed the Chairman of the Bank.
(Late) Rashid D. Habib, who was the Managing Director of Habib Bank Limited from 1953 till its nationalization, was appointed as the Managing Director & Chief Executive of Bank AL Habib Limited until he expired in 1994. After his death, Mr. Abbas D. Habib who was the Joint Managing Director and closely associated with the bank since its inception 1991, was appointed as the Managing Director and Chief Executive of the Bank.
In 2005, Bank AL Habib began offering internet banking so accounts and records could be viewed online. In 2006, Bank AL Habib became partners with MasterCard allowing them to issue credit cards for the first time. VFGG
Bank maintains correspondent relations with the following international banks: American Express Bank, USA; Banco Di Roma, Italy; Commerzbank and Dresdner Bank, Germany; The Royal Bank of Canada, Canada; Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd., Hong Kong. The bank follows the internet banking code NetBanking and security is entrusted by VeriSign. This was launched with a contract made with TPS Pakistan. The bank supports the MNET Switch as a result of MoU signed between MNET and 1-Link.
Bank AL Habib is one of the eleven partners of 1-Link system, an inter-bank ATM sharing system which allows customers to transact on ATM of any partner bank. Bank AL Habib is the third largest ATM service provider in Pakistan, having 188 ATMs while having the largest number of ATMs in the city Karachi.
Bank AL Habib Limited in affiliation with the Arab Financial Services offers two types of MasterCards.
AL Habib Capital Markets
Bank AL Habib has also established a name in the financial stock industry. AL Habib Capital Markets; one of the leading brokerage houses working under the logo of Bank AL Habib. BAHL holds a major stake in the AL Habib Capital Markets (Pvt) Ltd, the rest by friends and family members.
- Ali Raza D. Habib, Chairman
- Abbas D. Habib, CEO & Managing Director
- Qumail R. Habib, Executive Director
Ex-chairmen of the Bank AL Habib include:
- Hamid D. Habib, Chairman (Till 2000)
- Rashid D. Habib, CEO & Managing Director (until 1994)
The bank has a network of four hundred and one branches (Inclusive of Sub Branches) and three offshore Banking Units in Bahrain, Turkey and EPZ, The latest sub branch added to the network is now operational in Akbar Bazar, Sheikhupura, effective June 20, 2012.
- Karachi, has around 92 branches in all major/suburbs parts. This include one international branch at Export Processing Zone and one Islamic banking branch at Sharah-e-Faisal.
- Lahore, has around 31 branches in all major/suburbs parts including an Islamic Banking Branch.
- Multan, has around 10 branches including an Islamic Banking Branch.
- Faisalabad. has around 4 branches including an Islamic Banking Branch.
- Islamabad, has around 4 branches.
- Hyderabad, has around 4 branches.
- Mirpur khas, has around 2 branches
- Manama has a branch which acts as an Offshore Banking Unit.
Advertising and sponsorship
Bank AL Habib has sponsored a number of important events.
- "Role of Women in Nation Building" seminar held on 10–12 November 2005 at Bahauddin Zakriya University, Multan.
- "Hamid D. Habib and Rashid D. Habib Memorial Golf Tournament" held annually at Karachi Golf Club.
- "International Central Bankers Training" event for banking personnel from various Asian, Arab and African countries.
- "Bank Al Habib Prize" for high marks in the Institute of Bankers Pakistan examinations. and