Belgachia East (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
In the by-election held in 2009 as a result of the death of the sitting MLA Subhas Chakraborty, Sujit Bose of Trinamool Congress won the 139 Belgachia East seat defeating Ramala Chakrabarty of CPI(M). Subhas Chakrabarty of CPI(M) won the Belgachia East seat seven times in a row from 1977 to 2006. In 2006 and 2001, he defeated Sujit Bose of Trinamool Congress. In 1996 he defeated Arunava Ghosh of Congress. In 1991 and 1987, he defeated Kumares Basu of Congress. In 1982 he defeated Shyamal Bhattacharjee of Congress. In 1977, he defeated Samir Chatterjee of Janata Party.
During the period there was only one seat for Belgachia. Ganapati Sur of Congress won in 1972. Lakshmi Charan Sen of CPI(M) won in 1971, 1969 and 1967. Ganesh Ghosh of CPI won in 1962, 1957 and in independent India’s first election in 1951.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006". Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Statistical Report on General Elections, 2004 to the 14th Lok Sabha". Volume III Details For Assembly Segments Of Parliamentary Constituencies. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "West Bengal State Assembly Byelections 2009". Indian Election Affairs. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Results of bye – elections to the 31 (thirty one) Assembly Constituencies and 1(one) Lok Sabha Constituency". Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "139 - Belgachia East Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Statistical Reports of Assembly Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Archived from the original on 5 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-15.