Ben Wheatley (born 1972) is an English director of feature films, TV comedy shows, adverts and idents, animated shorts and internet viral ads.
Wheatley was born in Billericay, Essex. He went to Haverstock School in North London and it was here during the sixth form that he met Amy Jump, who is now his wife and co-founder of the "Mr and Mrs Wheatley" blog. The couple have a son and live in Brighton.
Initially a short film maker and animator, Wheatley moved his work to the internet, gaining a wider audience. His viral clip "cunning stunt" which shows his friend Rob Hill jumping over a car has had over 10 million views. The hundred or so short virals[clarification needed], animations and games found on the "Mr and Mrs Wheatley" site were noticed by large media companies and Wheatley's work expanded into mainstream media.
In 2006 Wheatley won a "Lion" award at Cannes advertising festival for directing the AMBX viral, with The Viral Factory. In July 2006 he directed live-action sections of the TV series Modern Toss, ("i live ere", "Alan", "Drive by abuser", "Customer services", "Accident and emergency", "Citizens advice", "Illegal alphabet"), which was aired on Channel 4. Wheatley has also written and created clips for BBC Two's Time Trumpet and has appeared in and directed sketches for BBC Three's Comedy Shuffle.
Wheatley's third film was the black comedy Sightseers, released in the UK in November 2012. It was written by its stars, Alice Lowe and Steve Oram, with additional material by Amy Jump, and was chosen for the Directors' Fortnight section of the 2012 Cannes Film Festival.
Wheatley's fourth film, A Field in England was financed through the Film4 talent and ideas hub, Film4.0. It will be followed by his first American-made film, Freakshift, a Creature Feature with an estimated budget of $15 million. A sci-fi TV series, Silk Road, written and directed by Wheatley, has been announced. It is said to be "in the vein of the Patrick McGoohan classic The Prisoner", and will be screened on HBO.
|The ABCs of Death||Yes||Yes||Segment: U Is for Unearthed|
|2013||A Field in England||Yes||Yes|
- Time Trumpet (2006) - Writer (4 Episodes)
- Modern Toss (2008) - Director (4 Episodes)
- The Wrong Door (2008) - Writer/Director (6 Episodes)
- Steve Coogan: The Inside Story (2009) - Director
- Ideal (2009-10) - Director (14 Episodes)
- Doctor Who (2014) - Director (2 Episodes)
- Time Trumpet
- Now Toronto 'Q&A'
- Film4 Compiling ‘The Kill List’
- "Devil Worshippers Beware! You May Be Part of The Kill List". Dread Central.
- Leffler, Rebecca. "Cannes 2012: Michel Gondry’s 'The We & The I' to Open Director's Fortnight". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- "2012 Selection". quinzaine-realisateurs.com. Directors' Fortnight. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- Wiseman, Andreas (14 October 2013). "Ben Wheatley to direct Doctor Who". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 14 October 2013.