Mendy playing for Brest in 2012
|Full name||Bernard Mendy|
|Date of birth||20 August 1981|
|Place of birth||Évreux, France|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Right back
|2002–2003||→ Bolton Wanderers (loan)||21||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 01:08, 11 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Bernard Mendy (born 20 August 1981) is a French footballer who plays for Indian Super League side Chennai Titans. He is a right back/right wing-back who is known for his blistering pace and constant overlapping runs.
Born in Évreux, Eure, a great fan of Paris Saint-Germain since his childhood, Mendy achieved his ambitions in 2000 when he joined PSG from SM Caen. Even though he had impressed a lot of people by his qualities during his first two seasons at PSG, he was loaned to Bolton Wanderers of England for a year, where he was appreciated for his offensive and speedy style. The new manager of PSG, Vahid Halilhodzic, decided to give him an opportunity to assert himself by using him as a first choice. That year, Mendy played one of his best seasons and was rewarded by playing his first match with the French national team against Brazil. However, he was not selected for the country's 2006 FIFA World Cup roster. In 2008, he scored the decisive goal in the final of the Coupe de la Ligue against RC Lens in a 2–1 victory, calmly stroking the ball home from the penalty spot.
Mendy had stated his desire to return to England, to play for his favourite football club, Manchester United. Instead, on 20 June 2008, it was reported by BBC Radio Humberside that Hull City had offered Mendy a three-year deal to join the newly promoted English club. He accepted the offer and joined Hull City for training in Italy. Hull manager Phil Brown had been assistant manager at Bolton during Mendy's time there. He scored his first goal for Hull City, a lob against ironically, Manchester United, in a game they lost 4–3. He was released from his contract on 17 May 2010.
On 9 February 2011 Mendy signed a 1 ½ year contract with the Danish club Odense Boldklub (OB) having passed the medical examination. On 25 June 2012, Mendy returned to playing in the French league by signing a 2 years contract for Stade Brestois on a free transfer.
Mendy is currently married to former gymnast Lucy Hughes and has three daughters, Kayna, Iman and his third daughter was born in June 2010.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 285. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Hull City in for Frenchman Mendy". BBC Sport. 11 July 2008. Retrieved 23 June 2008.
- "Bernard Mendy wants to play for Man.Utd.". totalclubfootball. Archived from the original on 3 February 2008. Retrieved 3 October 2007.
- "Exodus begins as Hull City part company with Mendy". BBC Sport. BBC. 17 May 2010. Retrieved 17 May 2010.
- "OB skriver kontrakt med Bernard Mendy". ob.dk. ob.dk. 9 February 2011. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Bernard Mendy transferred from Odense BK to Stade Brest on a free transfer". soccerfame.com. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "FRANCE/ OFFICIAL, Brest sign Mendy". TrasferMarketWeb. 25 June 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- "ISL Draft: Kerala Blasters snap up Michael Chopra, Team Chennai sign Bernard Mendy". http://www.firstpost.com. firstpost.com. 21 August 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bernard Mendy.|
- (Danish) OB profile
- (Danish) official Danish league stats
- Bernard Mendy career stats at Soccerbase
- UEFA profile
- (French) Career stats