Johnson in 2007
October 13, 1952 |
Buffalo, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Model, actress, businesswomen|
|Spouse(s)||Billy Potter (m. 1971–74)
Danny Sims (m. 1977-79)
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Hair color||Dark brown|
Beverly Johnson (born October 13, 1952) is an American model, actress, and businesswoman. She made history when she rose to fame as the first African-American model to appear on the cover of American Vogue in August 1974. In 1975, she became the first black woman to appear on the cover of the French edition of Elle. She was the star of the reality series Beverly's Full House, on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Early life and career
Born into a middle-class family in Buffalo, New York, Johnson was a champion swimmer in her youth and aspired to be a lawyer. She was a criminal justice major at Northeastern University when she tried modeling while on summer break in 1971. She quickly landed an assignment with Glamour and began working steadily. She went on to appear on more than 500 magazine covers, including the August 1974 issue of Vogue, becoming the magazine's first African-American cover model. Her appearance on the cover changed the beauty ideal in US fashion, and by 1975, every major American fashion designer had begun using African-American models.
In addition to modeling, Johnson has also written a book, Beverly Johnson's Guide to a Life of Health and Beauty, and embarked on an acting career. She has also had roles in the films Ashanti (1979), The Meteor Man (1993), Def Jam's How to Be a Player (1997), and Crossroads (2002). She has appeared in guest spots on several television series, including Martin (TV series), Law & Order, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, The Parent 'Hood and the Super Bowl episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun (1998). She served for two seasons as a celebrity judge on the TV Land series She's Got the Look, a reality series, where women over 35 compete for a modeling contract and magazine spread. At the start of the series in 2008, Johnson shared that she and other models had suffered from anorexia and bulimia during her career. She had a brief singing career, releasing one album in 1979 on Buddah Records. Johnson has been a longtime hair and beauty influencer.
Memoir and Accusation of Bill Cosby
In 2013, she published a memoir. In late 2014, she wrote an article for Vanity Fair about her attempted rape by Bill Cosby. In the article, she accuses Cosby of drugging her in a meeting at his Manhattan residence in the 1980s, although she stated that the incident did not involve sexual assault.
|Emergency!||TV, 1 episode|
|1978||Crisis in Sun Valley||Beverly||Television film|
|1979||Ashanti||Dr. Anansa Linderby||Alternative title: Ashanti, Land of No Mercy|
|1980||The Sky Is Gray||John Lee's Mother||Television film|
|1990||Hunter||Allistar Lang||TV, 1 episode|
|1992–1993||Law & Order||Marcela/Salamotu||TV, 2 episodes|
|Loaded Weapon 1||Doris Luger|
|The Meteor Man||Woman Doctor|
|The Cover Girl Murders||Michaela||Television film|
|A Perry Mason Mystery: The Case of the Wicked Wives||Jane Marlowe Morrison||Television film|
|1994||A Brilliant Disguise||Barbara|
|Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman||Mrs. Cox||TV, 2 episodes|
|1995||The Wayans Bros.||Miss Kita||TV, 1 episode|
|Ray Alexander: A Menu for Murder||Alana Durand||Television film|
|1996||Red Shoe Diaries||Lorri||TV, 1 episode|
|The Parent 'Hood||Mrs. Jordon||TV, 1 episode|
|1997||True Vengeance||Lt. Kada Wilson||Alternative title: Truth or Consequences|
|Sabrina, the Teenage Witch||Fashion designer||TV, 1 episode|
|Def Jam's How to Be a Player||Robin|
|1998||3rd Rock from the Sun||Prell||TV, 2 episodes|
|2000||Down 'n Dirty||Sandra Collins|
|Red Shoe Diaries 15: Forbidden Zone||Lorri||Segment: The Forbidden Zone|
|2010||Tyler Perry's Meet The Browns||Kate||1 episode|
|2012||Beverly's Full House||Herself||TV, 8 episodes|
- "Johnson, Beverly (1952- )". Blackapast.org. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- Iconic Cover Girls – Coco & Creme
- Joy Sewing Beverly Johnson's got the right attitude The Houston Chronicle. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- Supermodels Encyclopaedia: Beverly Johnson – Fashion Insider.
- Alicia Diaz Dennis, "Fashion Influential #68: Beverly Johnson", Zimbio, December 11, 2008.
- "The Body Game". People. 1993-01-11. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- Gross, Michael (2003). Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women. HarperCollins. p. 239. ISBN 0-06-054163-6.
- "Beverly Johnson: Official Biography". amekor.com. Archived from the original on 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- Levitt, Shelley (1992-08-10). "Like Mother, Like..". People. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- Moss, Marilyn (2008-06-02). "TV Review: She's Got the Look". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 2008-07-16. Retrieved 2008-08-15.
- http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2014/12/bill-cosby-beverly-johnson-story#. Accessed December 12, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beverly Johnson.|
- Beverly Johnson at the Internet Movie Database
- Beverly Johnson at the Fashion Model Directory
- Beverly Johnson on tvland.com