Big Bad World
|Big Bad World|
|Studio album by Plain White T's|
|Released||September 23, 2008|
|Genre||Pop punk, indie rock, emo|
|Plain White T's chronology|
|Singles from Big Bad World|
Big Bad World is the fifth album by Plain White T's. It was released on September 23, 2008 by Hollywood Records. To promote the album, the Plain White T's launched a few webisodes, which together form the series Meet Me in California.
All songs written and composed by Tom Higgenson, except for when noted.
|1.||"Big Bad World" (Higgenson, Chris Tompkins)||3:07|
|2.||"Natural Disaster" (Higgenson, Ian Kirkpatrick, Tim Lopez, Mike Retondo)||3:40|
|4.||"Rainy Day" (Higgenson, Tompkins)||3:11|
|5.||"1, 2, 3, 4"||3:18|
|7.||"Sunlight" (Higgenson, Lopez, Reed Calhoun)||3:50|
|8.||"I Really Want You"||2:58|
|9.||"Meet Me in California" (Higgenson, Tompkins)||3:34|
|10.||"Someday" (Higgenson, Lopez, Evan Frankfort)||3:40|
|11.||"Love at 10th Sight" (UK/iTunes Bonus Track)||2:59|
|12.||"I Get Screwed" (iTunes Bonus Track)||3:02|
- Tom Higgenson - vocals, piano on tracks 7 and 9, harmonica on track 8
- De'Mar Hamilton - drums
- Dave Tirio - guitar
- Tim Lopez - guitar, piano on track 10, vocals
- Michael Retondo - bass, piano on tracks 6, 8 and 10, bass clarinet on track 3, melodica on track 3, coronet on track 3, saxophone on track 1, vocals
- Johnny K - slide guitar on track 9, Mellotron on track 7
- Pat Gilroy - piano on track 7
- William Hamilton - organ on track 7
- Matt Harris - screams on track 6
- Eric Remschneider - strings on tracks 3, 4 and 10
- Ian Kirkpatrick - horn arrangements on track 1 and 3
- Jon Brion - Chamberlin on track 5
The clothing store Aéropostale started selling the album. Buying it from there includes a limited edition Plain White T's t-shirt; also trying on a pair of jeans there gets you a code to type on Aeropostale's website for a free song download titled "Love at 10th Sight". This was also done with the latest Fall Out Boy album to increase awareness of the Aero brand. The free download is no longer available due to it being limited until midnight of the album release.
The single "Natural Disaster" is featured as downloadable content for the Rock Band series.
- Natural Disaster
- Hey There Delilah
- Hate (I Really Don't Like You)
- Our Time Now
- Making Of 'Big Bad World'
- UK Tour Footage
- Making Of 'Natural Disaster'
The album received mixed reviews, with The Album Project giving the album a score of 2/5 and saying; "the new Plain White T's seem to be making music with the intention of not simply becoming a one hit wonder ("Hey There Delilah") and "making it big" but in the process have watered down everything." AbsolutePunk.net reviewer Chris Fallon gave the album a score of only 24%, saying "the band continues their steep decline by writing some of the cheesiest, most gimmicky songs even Kidz Bop wouldn't consider covering". AbsolutePunk later lampooned the record by claiming that album had sold 10 million copies, as their April Fool's Day joke of 2009.
However, the album also gained a positive reception from critics. About.com reviewer Bill Lamb gave the album 4 and-a-half out of 5 stars, praising the band for putting together "a charming, effortless sounding collection of 10 songs that will make any pop music loving fan's heart beat fast," and ended off by saying "this is simply one of the top pop records of the year." Allmusic reviewer Andrew Leahey gave the album 3 and-a-half out of 5 stars, saying "the[y] [Plain White T's] never attempt to recreate the magic that fueled "Hey There Delilah," focusing instead on slick, sunny songcraft with nary an acoustic guitar in sight," calling it "a refreshingly smart release that emphasizes the band's pop/rock leanings" and that they "deserve points for remaining grounded after a meteoric year."
- "Plain White T's: Big Bad World". AV Club. Sept 29 2008.
- "Plain White T's - Big Bad World - Review of the Album Big Bad World". Top 40.
- Plain White T's - Official website / The Wonders of the Younger out now
- "Big Bad World". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- Aeropostale Gives Away Plain White T's
- Lamb, Bill. "- Big Bad World Review". Retrieved June 27, 2011.
- Fallon, Chris (September 21, 2008). "Plain White T's - Big Bad World". AbsolutePunk.net. Archived from the original on 25 September 2008. Retrieved September 23, 2008.
- Leahey, Andrew. Review: Big Bad World. Allmusic. Retrieved on October 6, 2008
- Wood, Mikael (September 16, 2008). "Big Bad World Review". Archived from the original on 25 April 2009. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- Langager, Ross (January 8, 2009). "Plain White T's: Big Bad World Review". Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- May, Phillip (November 12, 2008). "Plain White T's - Big Bad World". Rocklouder. Archived from the original on 30 April 2009. Retrieved April 30, 2009.
- "Full Review: Plain White T's - Big Bad World". The Album Project.net. Archived from the original on 2008-10-02. Retrieved September 23, 2008.
- "Plain White T's Go Diamond - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved 2012-01-09.